• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

All depends on the player, doesn't it? In Humph we* trust. He's barely put a foot wrong in terms of player recruitment so far, and his use of IQ players over the past couple of years has imo been excellent. If Humph says "Give him a go", then I'm happy for that to happen.

That said, in terms of the wider sense of the decision, I'd say

a) Deccie Fitz is incredibly injury prone (and possibly not that professional), Macklin's picked up plenty of injuries, Taylor is only 20 and his future might be at loosehead. We're not that well off.

b) Increasingly, it looks like you need 4 Pro12 level props for each side at least in the squad. The year after Afoa, as stands, we will optimistically have 3. This is a situation where alarm bells should be ringing.

c) Irish-qualified Pro 12 standard tightheads are still about as rare as dogs that poop diamonds

The lad comes in and has a year to prove he can add something to the party. If he can't, we only lose what gametime he has, and if he can't I doubt he'll get that much tbh. If he can, even if he only reaches Lutton's current level, that's a pretty valuable add for us imo. Because I really doubt that all of Deccie Fitz/Lutton/Macklin/Taylor will be ready to rock and roll at the end of next season.

So, all in all... I'm ok with it. I'd rather we'd picked up someone better, but there we go. I wonder how long Hagan's contract with LI is...

*or at least, I do...

To be fair if he was any bit good would he not have been picked up by a team alot sooner

Question for you Ulster boys, as air transport from Montpellier and surrounding regions is not at all easy, flights to Dublin are a lot easier to find then i am thinking of hiring a car to drive from Dublin to Belfast for the away H Cup match against Ulster. Is the Guiness as good in Belfast as in Dublin !!!!!! Good hotels and bars near the ground or is there a better in Belfast itself. Thanks for any info you may be able to give me CHEERS.
If anyone of you are coming to Montpellier do not hesitate to ask for any advice if you need it.

So the 'good' news of the day is Tommy Bowe will be having a really nice long rest at the start of the season post-Lions... about three months.

Any word on the boy Conor Joyce who played 8 I think for Ireland in the U20s this summer. Heard Leinster were sniffing round him but he wants to stay in Ulster.

Any word on the boy Conor Joyce who played 8 I think for Ireland in the U20s this summer. Heard Leinster were sniffing round him but he wants to stay in Ulster.

I doubt that Leinster have a huge amount of quality young backrowers. I'd say you're safe in assuming he'll be with Ulster.

I can see Ulster doing damage this year, I saw a Pro12 overview on the Irishtimes last Saturday and it was going through the significant ins and outs of all the teams, Ulster were the only team to have 'none' in both. Compare that to Muster for example (I know Munster have a lot of youth coming up so leave me alone muffin :p ) who had outs as ROG, Howlett and one other, he's escaped me, and there in was Andrew Conway!

This squad has only improved in the last five years or so and they'll be determined as anyone to win silverware.

Pienaar staying till 2017. :D

fekk off Toulon!!

[happy as a pig in sh|te here :cool:]

Was about the worst kept secret in Ulster rugby over the past week but so happy its confirmed! And a full three years! Yee-ha!

[video]http://telly.com/VBP96[/video]

Never before has a video of a man running on a treadmill made me so happy.

Hah, who knew I could orgasm for a straight 47 seconds?

Anyway, at this stage he's bloody lucky he can even walk.

Whats the purpose of the black thing? Good signs but still a long way to go.

Latest posts