• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

:mad::mad::mad: f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k

Iain Henderson looks like he is out for the rest of the season. Ankle ligaments.

Grrrrr. :mad:

Shity news, I assume he is also out for the summer tour then, was really hoping he would shine out in the USA and put a hand up for selction in the first team + get some meaningful international experience. Also a big blow for Ulster hes stepped up massively in Fez's absence, this Ulster run of injuries looks like it will extinguish they chances at going further in HC.

The Tyrone Gaelic Football and Hurling teams must also be forced to play in Yellow. Fermanagh will now be playing in a giant Union Jack strip so as to promote fairness. Sige Sige for president.

Ulster I think paying for fine start to season.

We had crap luck with injuries then - it was already paid for. It's just getting worse and worse. It's reached the point where I've almost stopped caring about them.

Amiga - I cannot put the way the man spoke into phonetics, it is beyond my skill. Definitely said now noi though, how on earth you pronounce it that way I don't know.

I feel enlightened by this jersey debate. The white jersey clearly makes Ulster a protestant team for protestant people #TurnUlsterYellow

Still Peat it shows what too much rugby for some lads at start of season is doing now mixed in with bad luck getting them at positions like 12 and 6 etc

Still Peat it shows what too much rugby for some lads at start of season is doing now mixed in with bad luck getting them at positions like 12 and 6 etc

Who do you think broke due to too much rugby? Really don't see that at all. If anything, a lot of our guys started late, was a real mixed bag at the start of the season. Plenty of guys started the season injured, most of those guys were reintroduced slowly off the bench.

Who do you think broke due to too much rugby? Really don't see that at all. If anything, a lot of our guys started late, was a real mixed bag at the start of the season. Plenty of guys started the season injured, most of those guys were reintroduced slowly off the bench.
Alot of guys though weren't rotated early on in season and think it took it's toll. Like Ferris and Marshall are made of glass at times but the others I think some have probably felt ****les develop

Alot of guys though weren't rotated early on in season

WTF?!?!

As peat indicates - a lot of them were already injured early in the season!

Muller, Best, Touhy, Fez, Williams, Wilson, Diack, Hendo, SkyMarshall (will be others I'm not listing off the top of my head) were not available for one reason or another pre-xmas.

Most of them have been significant impact injuries - not really the stuff of ****les. About the only ****le injury victim I can think of is Jared Payne.

To be honest in comparison to other clubs, the level of player rotation in all Irish provinces is significant. Unfortunately for Ulster, they have been hit with alot of reoccurring injuries to key players while as mentioned above the length of injury is fairly long in most cases.

Who was, to be fair to MM, the only guy who started all of our opening six games. Everyone else missed at least once. Think it was more down to rushing back from a groin injury. That said, Cave and Trimble did five, and are fine. And Cave's one of the most ****le prone players in the squad. But going through the squad

1 - Paddy Mac injured for entire season during pre-season. Fair rotation between Court and Black.
2 - *touches wood* Herring and Best rotated a lot, bit of Brady and Annett too
3 - Macklin starts pre-season injured, returns, season ender not soon afterwards. Deccie Fitz, never fit never will be. Afoa fit throughout, given a prolonged rest during 6N.
4 - Stevenson injures himself before he can be rotated. Tuohy does his calf before he can be rotated. Neil McComb's a happy man!
5 - Muller injures himself about three games in, comes back, breaks his arm...
6 - Fez injures himself before he can be rotated - I thought Diack was fine? Him and Hendo rotated a lot, Hendo spends a lot of time in Ireland camps sat on arse, then he breaks himself last game.
7 - Doyle starts season, Henry comes back, Doyle breaks legs playing AIL, Henry plays most of it with some rotation with McComish, ligament damage playing for Ireland for Henry.
8 - Wilson starts season injury, Williams does his ribs just as he comes back - that's about 4, 5 games in - Wilson and Williams both injure themselves again at about the same time after a fair bit of rotating.

9 - Mainly Pienaar, is injured by enthusiastic clearing out by an Italian.
10 - Jackson injured after first game, plays pretty much when available - despite ankle injury - only rested after end of HEC due to NOC being NOC, fine since.
11 - Allen injures himself briefly, Trimble is fine, bit of rotation.
12 - Marshall injures himself twice and concusses himself twice - but he and Wallace have mainly rotated when available, before Wallace busts his leg playing
13 - Cave's best season for injuries yet! Farrell injures himself for entire season first match. RIP Nev.
14 - Bowe starts season injured, takes over from Gilroy then picks up a big one in a game, Gilroy's been well rested but picks up groin strain playing for Ireland
15 - Payne injures his groin, then comes back too quickly. D'Arcy starts season injured, comes back, injures himself again. Nelson injures his knee in AIL iirc.

I think that is the tale of our season. Not many ****les - Payne, Tuohy's calf maybe, Gilroy's groin (stop shagging Miss NI Craig). That's about it. Suppose the Ginger Prince's ankle, but he plays through that. The rest? We've been cursed, absolutely cursed, most impact injuries then seems credible. Part of me thinks it's the new intensity Anscombe wants, just racking up a casualty count. Part of me think its might be Nev's memory, they're really going for it this season but the harder you hit the more you get hurt. Most of me thinks this season is cursed and I kinda just want it over tbh - ideally with a trophy, but if not so be it. Lack of rotation? I looked at the team sheets again, we've kept things moving, Anscombe made a big thing of playing for places early season - and really, most people have broken before they could be rotated!

I would say fingers crossed it's lifting at just the right moment (ok a bit late) but bloody hell, Henderson getting injured was just a massive kick to the teeth.

Don't get me wrong as I not saying 100% is down to playing to much but if you see an IRFU S&C programme it is designed for guys to play a proper limit of games per sector and anything over is risky. Also any little ****le then if not treated, with specifics of programme, easily gets more serious and serious

I would be very surprised if anyone did more than their games per sector - and those who did are probably the guys who are still fine. Cave really hasn't had many breaks.

Given the amount of injuries both Leinster and Ulster have had, and Ireland in general, do you think it might be time Ireland reviewed their S&C programmes?

Ulster's first 8 games (competitive of season)
J. Payne, C. Gilroy, L. Marshall, P. Jackson, L. Stevenson, J. Afoa, C. Black, M. McComish, P. Marshall, R. Herring and D. Cave were used in Match 23 for all 8.
N. Williams and J. Muller both were in 7/8 as they missed 1 week each only through injury.
A.Trimble, T. Court returned in week 2 and ever present since then. 7/8 games
On week 3 D. Tuohy entered as did A. Macklin and both were ever present so 6/8 games
Week 4 Bowe, Henry returned and were ever present and R Best week after and same story. My point is rotation is using rest weeks for players and there is no rotation in 23 there.

That is more than I thought in fairness.

Still, 9 of the listed players haven't had a single issue I'm aware of - Cave, Herring, Black, Marshall, McComish, Afoa, Trimble, Court and Best. Jackson, Gilroy and Henry were mostly fine so far. Stevenson has been fine apart from the when the injury god visited every single lock.

The real nightmares on that list, the guys who have been major absences, are Payne, Marshall, Williams, Muller, Tuohy and Bowe.

With the exception of Payne and Tuohy, all of those guys shipped big impact injuries. I'm aware that fatigue weakens the muscles and makes injuries more likely, but I really doubt a few games off would have stopped Muller breaking his arm, or then going on to tackle people with it. Likewise Williams' ribs, Marshall's finger... I forget what Bowe did to himself. Fairly sure Bowe would missed the right number of games anyway, he was ever ever present after he returned because he'd missed the right number of games up until then.

And the list misses Ferris and Wilson, whose prolonged absences have been major pains in the arse, Farrell, MacAllister, Macklin, Nelson, D'Arcy and Doyle, which dramatically cut down on our depth, Wallace and Henderson, who are both suddenly missing when we could really use them due to impact injuries... and Deccie Fitz, who is probably simply not professional enough.

Oh wait. It did include Macklin. The team on the pitch rarely did though, so he deffo doesn't count.

It is certainly a lot more than team selection at the start. It may be playing its part, but there's been a great deal more bad luck and potential other problems on top of that.

Bowe ****ed his leg up with no one near him freak accident his leg hit the ground wrong.

As I said I know there alot of injuries that were inevitable but some are due to body been run down which weakens muscles and limbs and enhances chances of freak accidents.
Doyle did play first few games but I didn't list him as Henry returned and he disappeared

Doyle disappeared, then broke his leg. Would have been involved a lot. Do you think we've been playing Mike McComish because we enjoy it?

And now apparently Babyface might be fit. It's like the hokey-f**king-cokey with injury news at the moment...

Latest posts