• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

Doyle disappeared, then broke his leg. Would have been involved a lot. Do you think we've been playing Mike McComish because we enjoy it?
Yeah :p
But injuries were slightly ignored and players were overused early in season and it must've played some part. Like I can accept Ulster could never of anticipated Gilroy, Jackson and Marshall being 6 Nations starters etc but still.

I just hope Luke Marshall is prepared right because in 1 way I worry about him ending up like Matt Tait in terms of injury prone (although Luke doesn't get same long term injury) but if he fit Marshall is a player that I can see really become a world class 12 in no time.

Keep playing like this and our season is gonna be over mighty quickly. :(

was a pile of utter poo
lost 14-8

awful game of rugby grgrgrgr i onyl got power back for the second half

Keep playing like this and our season is gonna be over mighty quickly. :(

Two weeks and a few hours for the exact date stamp. I don't see how we pick ourselves up and put the cohesion back quickly enough for the next two games, particularly considering the amount of guys still injured. Olding injured as well now, don't know how bad he is, but just handle this list.

Power cuts, cancelled planes - it's like the gods of rugby wanted to spare us and prevented people from watching.

Olding injured as well now, don't know how bad he is, but just handle this list.

It was his right knee, and the physio/doc pretty much signalled to get him off straight away.

Given the way its going so far this year... probability would indicate it'll be a bloomin ACL. Hope not obviously.

It was his right knee, and the physio/doc pretty much signalled to get him off straight away.

Given the way its going so far this year... probability would indicate it'll be a bloomin ACL. Hope not obviously.

Given the way its going so far this year I'm expecting to end it with an amputee on the books.

To parrot well made points elsewhere, the back row casualties have been particularly costly. We need to find some more who aren't Mike McComish.

He's a good player Peat :p but Ulster were due it Munster and Leinster had/have their spells

He's a good player Peat :p but Ulster were due it Munster and Leinster had/have their spells

Look - if you don't stop baiting me over McComish - I'm gonna start a Duncan Williams appreciation society in your name - and then you'll be sorry.

And yeah, **** happens, but the right answer to that is to fix the plumbing rather than to accept it. Our third choice back-row is not good enough, we need to sort that, even if we are somewhat unlucky to be regularly starting games with none of the first or second choice back rows on the pitch.

Peat, do you want to know something to make you well jealous? (it might not make you jealous at all)

This Irish girl I've recently becomes friends with...turns out she's Chris Henry's ex. But she doesn't know much about rugby so didn't seem to realise the full etent of how significant that fact was to me :p. She just said, he's a pretty good player I think, plays in Ulster... This was actually on the eve of the six nations, and she seemed unaware that Henry was in the match 23 against Wales the next day!

Interesting random fact there... clearly not a rugby fan at all.

Look - if you don't stop baiting me over McComish - I'm gonna start a Duncan Williams appreciation society in your name - and then you'll be sorry.

And yeah, **** happens, but the right answer to that is to fix the plumbing rather than to accept it. Our third choice back-row is not good enough, we need to sort that, even if we are somewhat unlucky to be regularly starting games with none of the first or second choice back rows on the pitch.
Hey Duncan is alright :p But it seems Sheridan has finally got ahead of him and after tonight is in pole position to be on bench for QF. But it hard to expect anything of 3rd choice back row as that is "in case of emergency" and this is exactly that.

Oh yea Peat were you jealous :D you never answered the man haha

Watching the dragons match cause I can't sleep and I think Olding is better that luke marshall

Question for Ulster fans. If you were to compare young Stuart Olding's playing style to a player, which player is he similar to in terms of strengths, weaknesses and playing style?

Question for Ulster fans. If you were to compare young Stuart Olding's playing style to a player, which player is he similar to in terms of strengths, weaknesses and playing style?

I'm not an Ulster fan but he reminds me of Matt Giteaux but faster. I havn't seen enough of him to see if his skills are up there with Giteaux's skills but he is talented no doubt.

Well, the obvious comparison for Ulstermen would be Paddy Wallace... only a bit more destructive in the tackle and with a better step.

He has been a 10 by trade till now, so his distribution skills are excellent and he is a good pressure relief for the 10 if needs.

Played 10 earlier this season for us... most recently against the Ospreys IIRC, and was pretty competent there - despite us losing the game.

Giteau and Mincer are the obvious comparisons, yeah. Basically, any 2nd 5/8 style 12 who has a serious step and gas.

I've seen people compare him to BO'D.

I think he's fairly hard to caompare to anyone player though the Giteau one is fairly apt. Has played 10, 12, 13 and 15 I'd say he could also cover wing and at a stretch 9. He's got a load of ability and is a smart player only thing he doesn't have size but it doesn't seem to hinder him much.

OK that probably sounds like a deal of hyping but I'm very excited about him and I hink or good reason. It'l be intereting to see if he can carry on this form to next year and higher levels. I've seen a lot of people including him in their provisional teams for the match vs N.Z. . Too early imo but we'll see I guess.

Ulsterites, what do you make of the signing of Bronson Ross? I'm unimpressed (and have planned to do a bigger article on project players abnd Irish heritage players).

Ross is a New Zealand born tighthead in his late 20s who is Irish qualified and his pro rugby experience has come in Spain and England's third tier. He has sign a development contract.

Also Irish qaulified on Ulster's books are 30 year old Ireland international Declan Fitzpatrick, Ricky Lutton who's the same age as Ross, Adam Macklin who's 23/24 and needs game time and Christopher Taylor who has destroyed the Fijian and New Zealand scrums at the JWC. Ross is going to eat into their game time for both the first team and Ravens. Not to personalize it and have a go at Ross but surely the money would have been better spent elsewhere?

Latest posts