• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

This bloody weather

I'm planning to head home Sunday. If the motorways are open I'll give it a go. Mostly worried about when I cross the border into Wales, and there are actual mountains to negotiate! I usually use the A458 from Welshpool to Machynlleth, but that can be especially bad in the snow, so maybe I'll go the long way round and either use the A470 through Llanbrynmair or Llanidloes. I've driven the Llanidloes road in the snow before but there's a bit of a climb on the A44 from Llangurig to Pantmawr.

The final part of the journey from Llanrhystud up to my parents in Trefenter will be the worst, but if I fail, I'll just get dad to tow me home in the 4x4 or the tractor if it's especially bad.

We haven't had any snow in Lincoln yet, but I know Aber has got 5-7 inches or more.

A470 is completely gridlocked and has been since 8.30 (lorry jackknifed), so I'm glad I didn't decide to try and get back earlier!

I'm planning to head home Sunday. If the motorways are open I'll give it a go. Mostly worried about when I cross the border into Wales, and there are actual mountains to negotiate! I usually use the A458 from Welshpool to Machynlleth, but that can be especially bad in the snow, so maybe I'll go the long way round and either use the A470 through Llanbrynmair or Llanidloes. I've driven the Llanidloes road in the snow before but there's a bit of a climb on the A44 from Llangurig to Pantmawr.

The final part of the journey from Llanrhystud up to my parents in Trefenter will be the worst, but if I fail, I'll just get dad to tow me home in the 4x4 or the tractor if it's especially bad.

We haven't had any snow in Lincoln yet, but I know Aber has got 5-7 inches or more.

Llangurig road is absolute dangerous ...

Check here Dull: http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/

Blue Skies in Northampton. The Sun always shines on the righteous! :)

Hmm, hopefully things will have changed by Sunday. If the A458 to Mallwyd is open, maybe that's still the way to go. Much less traffic on that road. However the climb from the hairpin on the bridge up to Mallwyd is pretty steep, so if there's snow on the road, it won't be the best. I don't think I'd personally have much problem, it's other drivers blocking the roads that will be the problem.

We should organise a mini meet in Aber if were all about at the same time sometime. Seems silly not to in such a small town.

**** my life ...got my car 3 weeks ago....I drove it twice ..since then It has been trapped outside my house...got a nice thaw today and was going to take it out...until freeeezzeeeeeeeee.........and now its ******* snowing agian ....my grandparents are also trapped in a hotel in paris trying to get over here and I have no lift to town tommorrow for my mates 18th if the snow continues

Well ****** that Kerry International airport is gonna rape me tomorrow. Them Kerry pricks, closing the airport 'cos of the loss of an All Ireland

Well ****** that Kerry International airport is gonna rape me tomorrow. Them Kerry pricks, closing the airport 'cos of the loss of an All Ireland

Yeah, that's the reason we haven't built an airport in Wicklow.

**** my life ...got my car 3 weeks ago....I drove it twice ..since then It has been trapped outside my house...got a nice thaw today and was going to take it out...until freeeezzeeeeeeeee.........and now its ******* snowing agian ....my grandparents are also trapped in a hotel in paris trying to get over here and I have no lift to town tommorrow for my mates 18th if the snow continues

posh ****!!!!

Shh... its all Cowen's fault. To say otherwise is heresy!

Wicklow seems to be on the cards for an airport actually . apparently between arklow and Gorey .. been a while since I heard about it last however

Ceredigion FM has reported that the A487 is closed completely, and the A44 is closed to all but 4x4s.

That's both roads in/out, Hurrar! :(

How much more snow has there been there then? What's the forecast like for tonight and tomorrow? Still planning on getting home tomorrow.....

No snow forecast for tonight/tomorrow (that's what they said yesterday anyway), but supposed to be really cold, so will probably ice over everywhere

Apparently its the worst snow for over a decade, not a ridiculous amount, by all accounts (couple of inches in town, at best, but more outside, apparently Mach had 10 inches), but because everywhere's hilly/winding there's been a ton of accidents

Hopefully, because there's no snow forecast for the rest of the day/night (snow has just turned to sleet/rain) it'll give them plenty of chance to clear the roads (or at least a road)

Edit: As I typed that the rain turned into a load of hail

Double edit: A487 just reopened: "4x4s reccomended, travel only if absolutely essential"

Last edited:
We have had about 4 inches overnight and it's lovely outside.

Latest posts