• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Today 11 years ago, Dan Carter produced the finest rugby performance in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh, well this thread failed.

What did you expect would happen? That everyone would be in consensus with you about that performance? Especially after NH teams toured the SH.

Pity that you don't get a sarcasm font, as it would've cleared up a lot animosity on this thread already.

30th March 2012 was the best performance I've seen from a flyhalf

That was a sad day for all.

i mean the trouble with this thread is what is there to say? It was a hell of a performance by a hell of a player. Greatest ever maybe maybe not. Yes so obvious and lame jokes where made, but it didn't need the OTT reaction that derailed it actually.

I mean NZ and NZ media have already made its mind up on the finest display so anything I might of added would have fallen on deaf ears really.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you expect would happen? That everyone would be in consensus with you about that performance? Especially after NH teams toured the SH.

Pity that you don't get a sarcasm font, as it would've cleared up a lot animosity on this thread already.

Did you read the post properly, I asked peoples opinion of what they thought was the best.

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Why am I saying this again?

Did you read the post properly, I asked peoples opinion of what they thought was the best.

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Why am I saying this again?

I did, and opinions will differ.

For me, that was a pretty good performance from DC, and I think Morne Steyn's performance in the 2009 Tri-Nations match against NZ comes pretty close to this performance by DC.

But to say it was the finest performance in rugby history, is a bit over the top which will definitely cause the responses thamany made on this thread. DC's performance was certainly ONE of the finest performances in rugby history, but it's definitely not the finest. And that will also definitely vary from country to country.

I think South Africans will list a few performances by Naas Botha as the best performances by a fly half, as well as a performance by Jannie De Beer during the 1999 WC as another fine performance, and all will have merit to make their case.

I do think that DC is one of the best fly halves to have ever played the game, and will always respect him as a player and what he has accomplished.

I did, and opinions will differ.

For me, that was a pretty good performance from DC, and I think Morne Steyn's performance in the 2009 Tri-Nations match against NZ comes pretty close to this performance by DC.

But to say it was the finest performance in rugby history, is a bit over the top which will definitely cause the responses thamany made on this thread. DC's performance was certainly ONE of the finest performances in rugby history, but it's definitely not the finest. And that will also definitely vary from country to country.

I think South Africans will list a few performances by Naas Botha as the best performances by a fly half, as well as a performance by Jannie De Beer during the 1999 WC as another fine performance, and all will have merit to make their case.

I do think that DC is one of the best fly halves to have ever played the game, and will always respect him as a player and what he has accomplished.

Great, now why didn't you just post that in the first place?

Last edited:
If you're talking consumate fly half performances I'd think the Welsh would have a few thoughts. John, Bennett, Priestland....

Eh, it is generally held up as the best by consensus.

A lot of people would tell you this was Jonny's finest hour

Eh, it is generally held up as the best by consensus.

A lot of people would tell you this was Jonny's finest hour

Outstanding performance, what a watch and it doesn't even show his excellent kicking accuracy. Is it fair to say though, Ireland were not that good back then? I think Dan's performance against a Clive Woodward coached Lions side, who was undoubtedly the best coach in the world at the time holds more importance, given the occasion and quality of opposition + points tally?

I'd agree with the OP. I might swap 'in history' out with 'of the pro era' but not to detract and it very well might be I just wouldn't be able to judge not having watched muh rugby pre 1995. His performance gets bonus points for the occasion of a B&I Lions test but then again if we are being honest it detracts a little as well simply because Lions sides tend to not be as strong as the total sum of its parts or generally as the host nation by dint of being an invitational side with little to no time together as a team.

I'm just sad SA hasn't Pollard available for a fair bit now. I still think he is the SA 10 with the most potential to get near or even trump Carter's game with a bit of luck. I couldn't find any video of it suitable for posting here; either too long or too short but his performance vs the All Blacks in 2014 is a handy one for a rookie test flyhalf. Pity he hasn't had too many chances.

Just for the hell of it a highlights reel of his U20 matches in 2013.

Andy Goode, the man who went for a hair transplant but they put it on his eyebrows instead.

Pollard is a really great player, sad for his injuries as well. He's the sort of player you could have used in the semi-final last year, he would have had a huge impact on the game and your attack.

Outstanding performance, what a watch and it doesn't even show his excellent kicking accuracy. Is it fair to say though, Ireland were not that good back then? I think Dan's performance against a Clive Woodward coached Lions side, who was undoubtedly the best coach in the world at the time holds more importance, given the occasion and quality of opposition + points tally?

TBF that was one of the worse Lions tours ever off the field by the sounds of it SCW taking way too many players and way too many background staff.

Complete cock up.

and he didn't face oh mighty BOD.

TBF that was one of the worse Lions tours ever off the field by the sounds of it SCW taking way too many players and way too many background staff.

Complete cock up.

and he didn't face oh mighty BOD.

Still, the opposition is stronger than a late 90's Irish side. I remember Ireland being occasionally competitive back then, but no where near the force they are today.

Still, the opposition is stronger than a late 90's Irish side. I remember Ireland being occasionally competitive back then, but no where near the force they are today.

I don't they where capable on there day with excellent players. (only lost to NZ 15-6 at that time Forgetting the next game as it doesn't support me ;) )

It was an extremely crap lions though that drew to Argentina second XV (Yes in a friendly but still) and lost to the Māori

Hell you just have to look at the squad to see how crap it was TBH, alot of the English players SCW picked where so out of form.

I mean Wilko and Jones @ 12 and 10 for the first test!!!!!

I don't they where capable on there day with excellent players. (only lost to NZ 15-6 at that time Forgetting the next game as it doesn't support me ;) )

It was an extremely crap lions though that drew to Argentina second XV (Yes in a friendly but still) and lost to the Māori

Hell you just have to look at the squad to see how crap it was TBH, alot of the English players SCW picked where so out of form.

I mean Wilko and Jones @ 12 and 10 for the first test!!!!!

Mmm, true. It was a disappointing tour, apologies for the BOD incident as well, such a shame. Trust me when I say 99% of all NZ'ers felt for the guy and were disappointed not to be able to see him action for the rest of the tour.

Still, I can't see the 2005 Lions 1st XV side losing to a late 90's Irish team though!

Not at their peak, but no pushovers by any means. Don't get me wrong - I'm offering other fine fly-half performances, not disputing Carter's claim here - although I will dispute would you said about Lord Baldermort* there!

Pre-2003 was Wilko's peak really, and its a shame the injuries got him after that. Another example of his work from that era:

*Clive Woodward for those of us as don't know that nickname.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts