• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Today 11 years ago, Dan Carter produced the finest rugby performance in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't even mention Wilkinson they will have a breakdown (actually don't mention breakdown either as that will inevitably lead to someone mentioning McCaw)

Plus if you watch Carter in a not so dominant team he isn't even as good as Farrell (see champions cup final)

I wanna react... But is that last part bait? We don't have issue with Wilkinson.. The issue was comparing the two when Dan became superior. It could be a while before the world sees another 10 and wants to talk about Carter and Wilkinson.

Guys can't we all just get along and agree that the finest rugby performance of all time was Joe Launchbury against Australia in the World Cup?

It's because you didn't actually ask a question. If you'd said "What do you think is the best performance of all time?" Then a real conversation could've been had. But you didn't ask a question, you just made a statement that pretty much everyone agrees with, so no one was going to debate it.

Maybe read under the bottom of the video, looks like you missed that part @TobyBeastTeague

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then... I apologise :lol:

No worries!

I'm hoping next year some of our guys are inspired by this performance and can come up with something even half has good as this. We will need it, it will be a very good Lions side, even better if Gats was sacked and Jones took them.

Unfortunately Eddie Jones has ruled himself out of the running for the Lions job :(

No worries!

I'm hoping next year some of our guys are inspired by this performance and can come up with something even half has good as this. We will need it, it will be a very good Lions side, even better if Gats was sacked and Jones took them.

I'm gutted that Jones ruled himself out of being the Lions coach, because I think it's fair to say that he's the best coach in the world ATM (Obviously there's an argument for Hansen, they're both very good, let's not get into an argument there). He knows how to win in the SH and I truly believe that if he coached the Lions then they'd have a chance at beating the ABs. With Gatland though, no chance.

It should be a very interesting lineup nonetheless. (Hopefully) clinical wolf pack play vs Exciting, expansive play.

The XVs I'd like to see face each other: (I've put the player who I think wins the 1 on 1 in brackets)
McGrath - Crockett (McGrath)
Hartley - Coles (Coles)
Nel - Franks (Nel)
Itoje - Retallick (Retallick... just)
Kruis - Whitelock (Kruis)
Henderson - Kaino (Henderson)
Warburton - Cane (Cane)
Faletau - Read (Read)
Murray - Smith (Smith)
Sexton - Sopoaga (Sopoaga)
North - Naholo (Naholo... On his day, North wins it)
Farrell - SBW (SBW)
Joseph - Fekitoa (Fekitoa)
Nowell - Smith (Smith)
Williams - Dagg (A surprisingly close 1. Dagg edges it)

George - Harris (George)
Vunipola - Moody (Vunipola)
Cole - Faumaina (Faumaina)
O'Brien - Tuipulotu (O'Brien)
Vunipola - Savea (Savea)
Webb - Perenara (Webb)
Hogg - Barrett (Barrett)
Davies - Moala (Moala)

What a shame Jones ruled himself out, I heard rumours if he were "begged" to do it, then he might. Seems like such a great opportunity for him, here's hoping he's still around in another 10-11 years when they tour NZ again, I guess he wants to completely keep his focus on England and will be targeting the EOYT match in Twicks as a measure of how far him and the guys have come. Agreed about Gats, decent enough coach, but we all know Eddie is far superior and would get the most out off the side and pick the right guys for the job.

Pretty much agree with all those match ups minus a 50/50 here or there (Whitelock), but I would be realy surprised if Sopoaga had broke into the starting AB's XV though, Cruden and Barrett will have to either suffer injuries or huge dips in form to not occupy that starting and bench honours.

I'm hoping for Damien McKenzie as I believe he's capable of producing an otherworldly performance like Carters, but it seems his time is limited to make the Lions tour team, unless Dagg or Ben get injured.

What a shame Jones ruled himself out, I heard rumours if he were "begged" to do it, then he might. Seems like such a great opportunity for him, here's hoping he's still around in another 10-11 years when they tour NZ again, I guess he wants to completely keep his focus on England and will be targeting the EOYT match in Twicks as a measure of how far him and the guys have come. Agreed about Gats, decent enough coach, but we all know Eddie is far superior and would get the most out off the side and pick the right guys for the job.

Pretty much agree with all those match ups minus a 50/50 here or there (Whitelock), but I would be realy surprised if Sopoaga had broke into the starting AB's XV though, Cruden and Barrett will have to either suffer injuries or huge dips in form to not occupy that starting and bench honours.

I'm hoping for Damien McKenzie as I believe he's capable of producing an otherworldly performance like Carters, but it seems his time is limited to make the Lions tour team, unless Dagg or Ben get injured.

With McKenzie, is his future generally seen to be at 10 or 15?

With McKenzie, is his future generally seen to be at 10 or 15?

Some what of a Barrett future, alternating between the two, but I'd say 15 primarily, but he's another versatile back which we are so fortunate to have.

I think after the next world cup once Ben retires Dagg and McKenzie will occupy the #15 spot.

I expect Barrett to be the starter next year after hearing his latest contract rumours. It sounds like he wants a starting role and he's out off a contract at the end of the year, so he has a lot of leverage. I have no doubts McKenzie will get his debut this year though, I'm picking the Italy game in the EOTY to finally see him in action in black!

EDIT: Barrett also kicked at 100% for the Canes win vs the Blues in the weekend as well, he's worked massively on his technique so his stock is just through the roof, I think he's overtaken Cruden IMO.

Last edited:
Some what of a Barrett future, alternating between the two, but I'd say 15 primarily, but he's another versatile back which we are so fortunate to have.

I think after the next world cup once Ben retires Dagg and McKenzie will occupy the #15 spot.

I expect Barrett to be the starter next year after hearing his latest contract rumours. It sounds like he wants a starting role and he's out off a contract at the end of the year, so he has a lot of leverage. I have no doubts McKenzie will get his debut this year though, I'm picking the Italy game in the EOTY to finally see him in action in black!

Dagg's only a couple of years younger than Smith. I'd have thought that once Smith retires, Dagg will be more or less out of consideration for the ABs and McKenzie will be 1st choice 15.

On Barrett, he definitely has the quality to start but I don't know where. With Dagg and Smith around, he's simply not the best option at 15 (Unless the Hansen wanted a play maker there, but he's never really shown a desire for that before). So that leaves 10, but he's just not reliable enough off the tee. I think he should get more starts, but I can't see him being first choice in either. As for him having leverage, does he really have that much? As you said, McKenzie fills the same 10/15 role as him. So if Barrett decided to only stay in NZ if he got to start, I can definitely see Hansen telling him to bugger off.

Dagg actually just turned 28 yesterday, so at 31-32 he might want to go overseas, unless we want him to stay on as a mentor of some sorts for McKenzie, but yeah, doubt it. Sure McKenzie will be well blooded with a bit of experience by then.

On the Barrett starting at 10, he has worked massively on his kicking, edited my post just before to point out how much his technique has improved, he was at 100% the other night in the Canes 37-28 win over the Blues and he kicked great vs Wales, only missing 1 or 2 I think.

I'd like to see him starting over Cruden if he can keep up those stats, his running game is so good and intelligent, such an explosive player. I was earlier critical about him starting because of his kicking concerns, but I've changed my tune in the last few games of his.

Using a smiley to indicate your sarcasm ruins it for those of us who can catch on without help

Typical bloody yank...totally ignorant of cultural differences on an INTERNATIONAL forum.

For the record, I didn't "catch on" to Toby or Tigs man's posts because I didn't find either of them funny in any way. Even after having them explained, I still don't find them funny....

Actually, I find what some posters on this forum think to be funny, as being banal and tiresome.

Typical bloody yank...totally ignorant of cultural differences on an INTERNATIONAL forum.

For the record, I didn't "catch on" to Toby or Tigs man's posts because I didn't find either of them funny in any way. Even after having them explained, I still don't find them funny....

Actually, I find what some posters on this forum think to be funny, as being banal and tiresome.

You seem like a really fun guy.

I hate to break it to you, SC, but I don't think this is a cultural issue.

It's peculiar to you.

And you are not being ignorant to other cultures by not being aware other cultures can use sarcasm without the need for smilies?

If you do not find some posts funny, then do not appear to get on your high horse when every man and his dog (though apparently minus you) could tell from the text it was sarcasm.

Can we have a bit of common sense and courtesy here please?

Its a bit crap to walk into a rugby thread you're interested in and find there's nothing but jokes you've seen before there.

But they are clearly jokes and getting angry only turns this into a bigger clown show than before.

If people have a problem with a way a thread is going, ask nicely, or send something to a mod, or whatever.

Anyway, I'll let people get on with this, but if its just going to handbags I'll probably close it.

I would try and get it back on topic, but I've never actually seen the game in question and for some reason never really wanted to correct this... :mellow:

30th March 2012 was the best performance I've seen from a flyhalf

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts