• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Top 14] 2015/2016 Season: Day 4

Do you think the French have flair? Do you think that's just a myth.....if so/if not why? Re: France, what's France's positives/negatives?

We invented flair. These days we're saving it for our league to get all the TV sponsorship dosh we can and to win the European Champions Cup that the other nations can no longer win.

We do Arrogance in a way the English can only dream of.

in fact we invented rugby with the game of la Soule.

meanwhile back at the rannch Montpellier have just whacked Stade Francais 6 tries to 2 and a 5 pointer, 44-20 i just love all the Jake White critics Sud Aff rugby boring, Sud Aff rugby dull, 4 games 15 tries and over 90% scored by the backs!!!!!!! so if thats boring and dull what is exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meanwhile back at the rannch Montpellier have just whacked Stade Francais 6 tries to 2 and a 5 pointer, 44-20 i just love all the Jake White critics Sud Aff rugby boring, Sud Aff rugby dull, 4 games 15 tries and over 90% scored by the backs!!!!!!! so if thats boring and dull what is exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got the 2007 Springbokke outstripping England 36-0 in the pool stages and puting 40 on Argentina (who ended 3rd in that tourney) in the knock outs. But everyone says SA got lucky in 2007. Jake White had to build a team from scratch for the Bokke and even in yers when his charges scored more tries than NZ they were still 'boring'. He took the Brumbies from 3rd last to the finals in the next two years he was with them. Don't worry about what the naysayers get up to, Jake White is a proven coach and Montpellier has the class for him to work with.

Top 14 is taking a break now, right? R92 can do with a breather. I think the team has done brilliantly to be 3/4 at this stage but they aren't convincing. First Goosen's shoulder, now Dambielle (although it didn't look to be too bad?) all while we wait on Carter. Machenaud is probably our best player but it was painfully obvious he isn't comfortable at 10. We are also missing Dulin and Dumoulin (and where is Thomas?) as attacking trheats and Le Roux's go forward. I do like what I see in young Chat as a (hopefully) long term replacement fr Szarzewski at 2 though.

Last edited:

That was a big win albeit against a far from full strength SF. But the signs are very good for MHR. I don't buy into the Jake White criticism at all. He's one of the best and he will bring out the best of MHR.

Aside from that, the Section paloise v Stade toulousain game kicks off shortly.
Now, MHR lost there a couple of weeks ago and my question is whether ST can pull off a win?
They've won all three games in a not so convincing manner, so will they manage a fourth win this afternoon?
I rather think that Pau will give them a hard time.

You got the 2007 Springbokke outstripping England 36-0 in the pool stages and puting 40 on Argentina (who ended 3rd in that tourney) in the knock outs. But everyone says SA got lucky in 2007. Jake White had to build a team from scratch for the Bokke and even in yers when his charges scored more tries than NZ they were still 'boring'. He took the Brumbies from 3rd last to the finals in the next two years he was with them. Don't worry about what the naysayers get up to, Jake White is a proven coach and Montpellier has the class for him to work with.

i work with Jake twice a week and have the most utter confidence in him but it just p***** me off when evrybody goes on about the negative rugby he is getting Montpellier to play when in fact it is much more than positive than most teams in the TOP 14 as i said 15 tries in 4 games doesn't sound too negative to me.
I do believe we can be in very serious contention and we still have several players to arrive after the WC and Currie Cup. and what's more i like Sud Affs always have and always will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

That was a big win albeit against a far from full strength SF. But the signs are very good for MHR. I don't buy into the Jake White criticism at all. He's one of the best and he will bring out the best of MHR.

Aside from that, the Section paloise v Stade toulousain game kicks off shortly.
Now, MHR lost there a couple of weeks ago and my question is whether ST can pull off a win?
They've won all three games in a not so convincing manner, so will they manage a fourth win this afternoon?
I rather think that Pau will give them a hard time.

The far from full strengh is not our fault Stade knew about the WC and did not sign well at the beginning of the season, on the score board yesterday it said MHR 44 SF 20..... not MHR 44 very weak and under strenght SF 20. they have to deal with their problems like we have to deal with ours.

The far from full strengh is not our fault Stade knew about the WC and did not sign well at the beginning of the season, on the score board yesterday it said MHR 44 SF 20..... not MHR 44 very weak and under strenght SF 20. they have to deal with their problems like we have to deal with ours.[/QUOTE]

OK, gaston, cool down! Did I say it was the fault of MHR - no! After all, you play whatever team the opposition selects and MHR did the job - and well!
SF are without doubt licking their wounds and will begin preparing for their next match.

Good match!
9-6 to Pau! A deserved win for les palois.
Their forwards were more aggressive and subsequently Toulouse gave away too many penalties.

Good match!
9-6 to Pau! A deserved win for les palois.
Their forwards were more aggressive and subsequently Toulouse gave away too many penalties.

Terrible game. Awful shiite. We've only got ourselves to blame. But if this is how Pau are playing at home, good luck to them this season...

The far from full strengh is not our fault Stade knew about the WC and did not sign well at the beginning of the season, on the score board yesterday it said MHR 44 SF 20..... not MHR 44 very weak and under strenght SF 20. they have to deal with their problems like we have to deal with ours.

OK, gaston, cool down! Did I say it was the fault of MHR - no! After all, you play whatever team the opposition selects and MHR did the job - and well!
SF are without doubt licking their wounds and will begin preparing for their next match.[/QUOTE]

nobody said it was your fault, i said "look its not our fault" you bring a team 23 out of a squad of 40+ you lose, you lose end of!!!! and nobody is getting hot under the clollar or needs to cool down, excuses are for the weak !!!!!!!!! They got well and truly whacked no mor no less.
and as far as preparig for their match they are all on holiday so nobody is preparing nothing.

nobody said it was your fault, i said "look its not our fault" you bring a team 23 out of a squad of 40+ you lose, you lose end of!!!! and nobody is getting hot under the clollar or needs to cool down, excuses are for the weak !!!!!!!!! They got well and truly whacked no mor no less.
and as far as preparig for their match they are all on holiday so nobody is preparing nothing.[/QUOTE]

Who is making excuses? On the contrary, Montpellier did what they had to - end of story.
And as far as a holiday is concerned, the coaching staff of SF will no doubt be getting their players on the training field pretty damn quick and get them working!

this problem is often told as no tries means a crap game, which is not at all true, i watched the game and there were lots of mistakes by both teams in fact far too many for this very high level but the excitment was there till the end and the result could have gone either way , but difficult for Toulouse at the end with only 13 on the park.Pau probably just about deserved their victory but nothing is given these days, it's getting tougher each week.
What does this all mean, Montpellier 2nd on their own, good enough for me.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, FF, but that was a good game!
Have you ever played rugby? I would think not.
Are you one those guys who expects loads of tries every match? Well rugby's not like that.
Today's game was hard and attritional.
As gaston rightly says, the game was exciting with plenty of errors but it was close until near the end when Toulouse were down to 13 men and then there was no way back.

and as far as preparig for their match they are all on holiday so nobody is preparing nothing.

Who is making excuses? On the contrary, Montpellier did what they had to - end of story.
And as far as a holiday is concerned, the coaching staff of SF will no doubt be getting their players on the training field pretty damn quick and get them working![/QUOTE]

not until the holidays are over which is next Sun or Mon.

Sorry, FF, but that was a good game!
Have you ever played rugby? I would think not.
Are you one those guys who expects loads of tries every match? Well rugby's not like that.
Today's game was hard and attritional.
As gaston rightly says, the game was exciting with plenty of errors but it was close until near the end when Toulouse were down to 13 men and then there was no way back.

Where did you read in my post about scoring tries?? so you stick a Toulouse flag under your avatar and your'e a Toulouse expert now.

It was an awful game because there were so many basic errors. Like Gaston said for a T14 game it was poor. It was a comedy of unforced errors. And 4 yellows say enough about the lack of discipline. Pau were down to 13 men in 1st half. We had an excellent scrum not far off their line and fluffled the opportunity like a bunch of juniors. Our own indiscipline kept Pau in the game all along.
I have no problem with trieless games and I love big forward tussles but not with so many errors. Hugo Mola had better get the hairdryer out during the week. The jury is still very much out as far as his ability to manage the team.

But it's not an awful result. A narrow 3-point loss away, after 3 straight wins is no big deal.

Pau are going to be in big trouble if they continue playing like they did at home.

Where did you read in my post about scoring tries?? so you stick a Toulouse flag under your avatar and your'e a Toulouse expert now.

It was an awful game because there were so many basic errors. Like Gaston said for a T14 game it was poor. It was a comedy of unforced errors. And 4 yellows say enough about the lack of discipline. Pau were down to 13 men in 1st half. We had an excellent scrum not far off their line and fluffled the opportunity like a bunch of juniors. Our own indiscipline kept Pau in the game all along.
I have no problem with trieless games and I love big forward tussles but not with so many errors. Hugo Mola had better get the hairdryer out during the week. The jury is still very much out as far as his ability to manage the team.

But it's not an awful result. A narrow 3-point loss away, after 3 straight wins is no big deal.

Pau are going to be in big trouble if they continue playing like they did at home.

Of course the jury's out regarding Mola. The jury will be out until the end of the season and he will be judged then, certainly not after four games.
Sure there were many unforced errors. What do you expect, perfection this early in the season?
Clermont were lucky to draw at home to UBB and Toulon have had a stuttering start to the season, as have Racing, so be patient. 3 wins out of 4 for Toulouse ain't bad.
And Pau, good luck to them. Home wins over MHR and ST - that's good for Pau. They don't care about fancy rugby. They play the game that suits them.
And I wouldn't call myself a Toulouse expert by any stretch of the imagination. And you?

Sure there were many unforced errors. What do you expect, perfection this early in the season?
not at all. Perfection is boring. The first thing is to cut down the number of errors. It's much more basic than perfection...

Clermont were lucky to draw at home to UBB and Toulon have had a stuttering start to the season, as have Racing, so be patient. 3 wins out of 4 for Toulouse ain't bad.
It's a good start. Just what I said: 'A narrow 3-point loss away, after 3 straight wins is no big deal.'

Toulouse problem for the last 2 or 3 seasons is holding on to foreign dross most are over the hill and should be transfered this season: Kakovin Tialata TSteenkamp etc

We now have the youngsters to replace these guys. I hope Mola follows in the footstep of his predecessor and give these kids their place in the first team. Noves has never been shy of throwing talented kids at the deep end. I dont know about Mola. We have a full front row of Baille Marchand Aldegheri who are already sound scrummagers and much more dynamic and mobile.

Pelous our new director has coached them to a GS and WC semi final with FRA U20.

It is the only way forward. Place à la jeunesse !!

Last edited:
You're quite right! The front row has been a weak link for a few seasons now. The only foreign player who, in my opinion, is performing is Flynn, but when we have a young and talented front row as you mentioned then the future is good.
Rest assured that Fabien Pelous will be leaning on Mola to give these young players more and more game time.

Gaston denied a fabulous 100% predicktion by the draw at Clermont crying shame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its an interesting discussion, the club youngsters v the imported players mainly from the SH. The problem with the youngsters in my eyes is obviously the lack of experience against better older and craftier players, especially in the front row and scrum, but on the other hand, if you are bringing these youngsters through the Academies then it's silly not to use them.
The biggest argument i think is the importance of winning the TOP 14 and not getting relegated, and by using the youngsters that is placing victory at risk and we know no one can really afford to finish in the Pro D2, Biarritz a fine example they could be heading for Fed 1. Many say that this effects the National team, that i'm not that sure about, i personally think when Noves starts, things will change, and the Kocketts of this world will vanish along with others.
My ideas of bringing in a workable loan system would be very beneficial, eg. Montpellier is the mother club and we loan out to Carcasonne, Beziers, Narbonne, the players could play for any of the 3 club in one season they would change clubs only if long term injuries by other players were happening, this would give all Academies players the chance to show their level in Pro D2, which is a launching pad for the TOP 14. the main problem is giving the young players game time in the TOP 14, we are not going to stop the arrival of SH players as they are good value for money and all the President want that Holy Grail, but we have to find solutions for the younger players who cannot just play week in week out for the Espoirs, if this continues they will become bored, stop, or just disappear onto the scrap heap, and all the money spent on their Academy education is wasted.