• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Day 1

you see a lot of strong no.10's go for it on the ground but get pushed away flying out the ruck by some huge forward clearing his side, you sometimes see some almost there but just don't have the strength to hold onto their feet and fall in the last seconds, but for a fuccking scrumhalf to get in there and get the ball clean, that's special. He's obviously the only 9 to do this right now, in the world I mean, can't think of anyone. And still just 23 years old...:rolleyes:

Also: very disappointed Pierrick Gunther goes down for long months. Just got surgery, and his knee is screwed for a while. Finally away from Toulon, playing a fresh club like Lyon. Was going to get the minutes, and he's got good power, lots of will and is still young. He's a good 1m90, 108kg. He's a chti btw, from the North up there..

Is he a chti Gunther? ah he is a knacker then. He loves weight lifting too much that Gunther. Headcase. Mourad will buy him a bionic knee for Xmas :lol:

Last edited:
so far so good. Has made a real effort to blend in. Best toulousain on Saturday. I'm a bit disappointed with his hair.

you see a lot of strong no.10's go for it on the ground but get pushed away flying out the ruck by some huge forward clearing his side, you sometimes see some almost there but just don't have the strength to hold onto their feet and fall in the last seconds, but for a fuccking scrumhalf to get in there and get the ball clean, that's special. He's obviously the only 9 to do this right now, in the world I mean, can't think of anyone. And still just 23 years old...:rolleyes:

When he joined the Academy and was picked for France Youth teams they all thought he was a prop when he turned up. He's built like a mini version of a prop. Not quite the weight but in body shape. He's got very low centre of gravity and has a taste for the breakdown which is not so usual for SHs.

I think that Flood will be an outstanding star at Toulouse and will catapult them back to the top.............he has the kicking ability, he can make breaks, he can co-ordinate his backs and he is OK in defence......England will see that what they have missed this season and just in time leading up to the RWC 2015 they will "make an exception" and beg him to play for them!

Allez Toby Inondation!!!!

When he joined the Academy and was picked for France Youth teams they all thought he was a prop when he turned up. He's built like a mini version of a prop. Not quite the weight but in body shape. He's got very low centre of gravity and has a taste for the breakdown which is not so usual for SHs.

Been very strong supporter of Doussain and good he is getting the credit that he deserves...

Yeh bloody rugby initiations.

oh is that what that was ? I thought he just really, really missed England...

I think that Flood will be an outstanding star at Toulouse and will catapult them back to the top.............he has the kicking ability, he can make breaks, he can co-ordinate his backs and he is OK in defence......England will see that what they have missed this season and just in time leading up to the RWC 2015 they will "make an exception" and beg him to play for them!

Allez Toby Inondation!!!!

Been very strong supporter of Doussain and good he is getting the credit that he deserves...

hah !
Me too. the Anglo-world only saw Doussain during the last 6N as they don't watch Toulouse (or that 3rd test in NZ for les Bleus where he was very good), and their minds are now sadly conditioned about the guy, but he's an enormous talent in the making, and yes like FF says, he's a mini-prop lol. You'll see people bouncing off him as they try to put him down like he's a no.8, he'll tackle a 2m, 120kg lock to the ground like it's standard, he stands on his feet without moving backwards when he's got a couple of defenders on his arse, the guy is an absolutely unique specimen for a FH.
Can you believe that little 1m74 guy is about the same weight as third rower Wen Lauret:

la-quatrieme-selection-de-wenceslas-lauret-ce-n-est-pas_1049962_460x306.jpg

He is part of the talented young guard, all in their early 20s like Camara Fickou Galan Tolofua. And Noves is dead right to protect them agst :ar15firing5de: the Evil Blue Papa Schtroumpf

He is part of the talented young guard, all in their early 20s like Camara Fickou Galan Tolofua. And Noves is dead right to protect them agst :ar15firing5de: the Evil Blue Papa Schtroumpf

mdrrrrrr WHAT ?! aaahaha, "Evil Blue Papa Schtroumpf" !! You've GOT to spread that around the internet, it's got to become a trend, maybe even a Facebook fanpage. It has to become a thing.
Aaahh, classic. Evil. Blue. Papa Schtroumpf...

Charles Ollivon.

Aviron Bayonnais, 2m, 108kg, 21 years old, No. 8.

His match last week against almighty Toulon:

A gentle giant. Great hands, soft touch, intelligent. Great coordination for such a big organism, good strength too. He said himself he wants to stay mobile and not put on a bunch of kilos, not that he's tiny.

He and Paris's 20yo backrower Matthieu Babillot are my French forward youngsters to watch out for during the year:

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/mathieu-babillot_prs344378/person.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks very decent but it did look like he's easily contained in the video. At his age he looks very interesting and i would move him too 6 and make him like a Tom Croft player. I think that him being mobile is a smart idea as bulking up and being a crash ball player like Vunipola makes you very one dimensional and soon you will get worked out.

He looks very decent but it did look like he's easily contained in the video. At his age he looks very interesting and i would move him too 6 and make him like a Tom Croft player. I think that him being mobile is a smart idea as bulking up and being a crash ball player like Vunipola makes you very one dimensional and soon you will get worked out.

well for such a youngster, I thought he held up alright considering he's tackled by two each time. He's a "finesse" loosie, so any power he offers is really bonus. I see what you're saying, a Tom Croft/Virgil Bruni type guy with happy feet and pace and length. Ollivon is good under the high ball though and his offloading/technical aspects are good enough that he can work well at the base of the scrum. I think no.8 is just fine.
Bet you he'll be traded to a big club by next season, and ppl will start remembering his name by then.

well for such a youngster, I thought he held up alright considering he's tackled by two each time. He's a "finesse" loosie, so any power he offers is really bonus. I see what you're saying, a Tom Croft/Virgil Bruni type guy with happy feet and pace and length. Ollivon is good under the high ball though and his offloading/technical aspects are good enough that he can work well at the base of the scrum. I think no.8 is just fine.
Bet you he'll be traded to a big club by next season, and ppl will start remembering his name by then.
Maybe he could become the French Kieran Read ? A back row of 6.Ollivon 8.Picamoles 7.Burban might be the biggest back row in the world. If he does move i hope he doesn't go to Toulon or Toulouse as they have so many back rows. Personally I think Clermont or Castres would be a better option.

well definitely not Kieran Read haha, I see what you're saying but it would be way too pretentious to even mention that name here right now...but I do have real hope this guy will become more than just a good Top 14 backrower, which is quite something in itself given the level of the competition atm. I think he's a bit special, such a soft touch and such attention to detail for a rookie.
And the biggest back row in the world is always going to be you know who :p hint: they're not European, and they're not Oceanic.

It's interesting, he's a bit of a symbol of French depth atm, w/o being arrogant. We've got tons, and tons of backrowers who could make an int'l team, it's literally overwhelming. I say this because it's testament to how so many foreigners in our league isn't a "general" problem, like we don't produce either props or hookers or loosies or scrumhalves or centers...etc...: but is a much more specific issue. We definitely have issues with tighthead props, and that has indeed a lot to do with the Georgian/Romanian/Pac Isl props we just buy off because they're already achieved, polished TH's and it's the position that takes the longest as far as maturation. The rest, we're doing absolutely great. Scrumhalves, looseheads, centers and wingers and loosies in particular, even flyhalves which we're so prejudiced against.
Foreigners....what foreigners ?

Latest posts