• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Day 1

yep that was another "close encounter" with Oyo. Remember our last game agst them away last April ended up in a draw. JM Doussain did everything for us in that game Drop Penalties Try scored all the points. Beauxis came on and missed the kick that would have won it for us. Oyo are not afraid of anyone in the league. They beat Toulon at home remember.

Poitrenaud is not a centre. He is a full back. Solid start for Flood. Camara Fickou looked sharp. We still have a lot of injured players. This is going to be a long season. The blessing is hopefully the likes of Picamoles Maestri will now get the break they didn't get (AND SHOULD HAVE GOT) in June. Looks like Louis is off for a full month. Good for him. He needs it.

indeed, even watched that game again the other day (Oyo Tls). Dousain was awesome it's true, he even got a turnover at the breakdown all by himself, just like an openside loose forward.
They beat EVERYBODY at home last year, not just Toulon. But this year they're showing much better quality play than last year and are attacking sharply, you can tell they've been revising their exams all summer long.

And...:rolleyes: Poitrenaud played center last Saturday, dummy. Palisson played fullback and wasn't too bad there overall.

Toulouse were dead last, last year in penalty kicking %. This year with Flood that ain't happening again, so that's a major plus. Scrum looked so-so though, and with Census Johnston on the right we're not going far there, so we'll have to count on all other things.

Oh and Tolofua still doesn't know what a lineout throw is.

And...:rolleyes: Poitrenaud played center last Saturday, dummy. Palisson played fullback and wasn't too bad there overall.

Toulouse were dead last, last year in penalty kicking %. This year with Flood that ain't happening again, so that's a major plus. Scrum looked so-so though, and with Census Johnston on the right we're not going far there, so we'll have to count on all other things.

I really liked Palisson at the last world cup, it shows alot of ambition to leave TOulon for play time instead of the money. Flood is a great fly half who probably deserved a bit more recognition for England as he had some great games for us. He should work well with McAlister/Fickou

Montpellier out wide looked good. They should have run it more because they exposed Racing everytime they did. MP should have won this game.

Racing are going to be a handfull this season. We'll have the usual suspects i.e the last 4 semi finalists Racing and Grenoble.

easy to say when you have 15 on the park but with 14 for the whole 2nd half very tough, was in the changing room after the game and FTD was dead on his feet no more to give!!!!;

easy to say when you have 15 on the park but with 14 for the whole 2nd half very tough, was in the changing room after the game and FTD was dead on his feet no more to give!!!!;

you're right. I forgot you were down to 14!! Still a good game to watch and you got the performance even if you didn't get the result. There was 2 FTD at times in defense ;)

indeed, even watched that game again the other day (Oyo Tls). Dousain was awesome it's true, he even got a turnover at the breakdown all by himself, just like an openside loose forward.
They beat EVERYBODY at home last year, not just Toulon. But this year they're showing much better quality play than last year and are attacking sharply, you can tell they've been revising their exams all summer long.

I know i was at the game :p but Clement to me is not a centre. Never was. In 10 years at the club he's never made it as a centre, he's been tried before and always gone back as FB. Interesting to Palisson to start as a FB but I think he is more of a wing. I think Noves will work on different combinations this season because he knows he's not going to have the players he wants when he needs them.

Tolofua needs to continue working on his throws, he'll get there. He is a very good scrummager and in the loose this guy is a wrecking ball.

yes yes, FTD was terrific with his defensive cover, at times I had to check again he was really wearing 10 and not 15...because I was drunk as hell during the match, no, just kidding..

Yeah obviously Poitrenaud is a 15 FrenchFan, I've been paying just a tad bit of attention mind you :D in my comment there I was saying basically "happy to see Poitrenaud worked out well at midfield" as he's sometimes nonexistent when they play him there. Most definitely agree he's a much better 15 than he is a 12, I don't think there's any question.

Well it was a nice starting setup for Toulouse given the conjuncture: players missing so Poitrenaud moves to 12, Palisson a winger moves to 15, and voilà.

What I didn't like was Vincent Clerc's mediocre game. I dearly want to see him in pure form again, I'll be patient but that first game wasn't good for him.

Tolofua: I'm saying the same now as my first impressions about him years ago. His Pacific Islander style in the loose is, well, unique for a hooker. But I'm very skeptical about him in the scrum, and his throws are just a plague. He needs - *neeeeeds* - to straighten that up, I understand he's very young and has time, but a hooker who can't throw simply will never be taken seriously.

Seems to me like too many people sucking up to Gaston but credit to him for admitting that the dop goal did go over!!!!

yes yes, FTD was terrific with his defensive cover, at times I had to check again he was really wearing 10 and not 15...because I was drunk as hell during the match, no, just kidding..

Yeah obviously Poitrenaud is a 15 FrenchFan, I've been paying just a tad bit of attention mind you :D in my comment there I was saying basically "happy to see Poitrenaud worked out well at midfield" as he's sometimes nonexistent when they play him there. Most definitely agree he's a much better 15 than he is a 12, I don't think there's any question.

Well it was a nice starting setup for Toulouse given the conjuncture: players missing so Poitrenaud moves to 12, Palisson a winger moves to 15, and voilà.

What I didn't like was Vincent Clerc's mediocre game. I dearly want to see him in pure form again, I'll be patient but that first game wasn't good for him.

Tolofua: I'm saying the same now as my first impressions about him years ago. His Pacific Islander style in the loose is, well, unique for a hooker. But I'm very skeptical about him in the scrum, and his throws are just a plague. He needs - *neeeeeds* - to straighten that up, I understand he's very young and has time, but a hooker who can't throw simply will never be taken seriously.

this season is going to test the staff's nerves and innovation. They're working on permutations because at some stage they will be missing btw 7 up to 9 players. This is so ridiculous. They also have the limitations on number of games imposed by LNR which would drive any pro coach insane. Ok i'll stop here. My pulse is already picking up...

Nothing wrong with his scrummaging. Christopher is TWENTY ONE. When he started with the first team he was barely out of his rugby nappies. No great hookers I've seen had made it at that age! This is a position where players need time to develop.
He is in the right environment.As long as les Pieds Nickelés don't mess with his head and he stays at the club he has the potential to turn into a great hooker. But he needs to knucle down. Corry Flynn of NZ will show him how it's done and he can learn. And he has Servat as a coach who was a great hooker. So he is in the right place.

I know you're paying attention and hanging on to my every word. I am the Voice of Radio Toulouse :lol:

Clerc needs to focus on his club. It's his first game. He may not make the WC squad. We'll keep him here, chained to a lamp post. He gets free for training sessions and games (if picked). His wife is allowed to see him once a week and walks him around the stadium (on a lead).

he is married to one of Noves daughters (not both).

Last edited:

In fairness his defensive play was excellent. But thing I'd say is Montpellier seem a lot more powerful runners this year compared to last. Racing have superb individuals but was chatting to ROG over summer and he pointed out they still don't have a clear game plan or style

he is married to one of Noves daughters (not both).

nope, he'd need a large pubic-hair looking beard for that...and indeed he's said one of his main goals was to get back to level so he can play in the RWC, but right now with fkng Guitoune and Huget around he can just forget about it as of now.

Hey, check out Gaëtan Germain, really liking this player, last weekend:

[video=dailymotion;x23wgxn]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23wgxn_brive-la-rochelle-37-15-j1-saison-2014-2015_sport?start=5[/video]

At 0:55 into the video, that play. The guy's got pinpoint accuracy, he's got moves, he's got strength (100kg for a no.15) AND he's got the pace, he's overtaking a Fijian winger, how much better does the cliché get ? That's Sereli Bobo he's overtaking there.
And he's still young, barely 24yo.

Just watch the highlights Flood's interview at the end was pure gold, what a great French speaker he is. Loved his French English as well.

;)

not bad, not bad Floody...what a swell fella. This is three months into learning.

At 0:49

He's a good rosbif. The right kind. The one that still enjoys his mint and tea but can also appreciate a good Saint-Emilion red, it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think at Toulouse he will get back to his best, Last season at leicester a mixture of England uncertainty lack of a stable centre partnership (due to injuries) and injury he failed to shine like he can.

I think the England situation got to him a bit, I really hope he gets back to his bet at Toulouse.

Seems to me like too many people sucking up to Gaston but credit to him for admitting that the dop goal did go over!!!!

Jealousy will get you everywhere and nowhere my friend, this obviously does not happen in the Pro D2 good luck next week.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrenchFan, just uploaded a few Top 14 clips just now. The match we were talking about from last year, the OYO-TLS draw, check out Doussain's third row ability:

Toulouse Oyo highlights with Flood's first try for us

FrenchFan, just uploaded a few Top 14 clips just now. The match we were talking about from last year, the OYO-TLS draw, check out Doussain's third row ability:

Sure he does that all the time. Jean Marc is a frustrated backrow :lol:. If we let him he'd play flanker all day. He played an absolute blinder in that game. I went to Oyonnax for the game. What a dump but it's a bloody cauldron. His tackling was like in the video all game. He scored all the points try penalties and a drop goal.
He is a ball jackler. Un chacal du breakdown :bowdown:

you see a lot of strong no.10's go for it on the ground but get pushed away flying out the ruck by some huge forward clearing his side, you sometimes see some almost there but just don't have the strength to hold onto their feet and fall in the last seconds, but for a fuccking scrumhalf to get in there and get the ball clean, that's special. He's obviously the only 9 to do this right now, in the world I mean, can't think of anyone. And still just 23 years old...:rolleyes:

Also: very disappointed Pierrick Gunther goes down for long months. Just got surgery, and his knee is screwed for a while. Finally away from Toulon, playing a fresh club like Lyon. Was going to get the minutes, and he's got good power, lots of will and is still young. He's a good 1m90, 108kg. He's a chti btw, from the North up there..

Last edited:

Latest posts