• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Day 1

Got to watch the Bay v Toulon match here in the UK, unfortunately with the self aggrandising pompous prat Barnes commentating.

Toulon looked at half speed, especially as Bayonne seemed to help them along with so many handling errors. Definitely looked like a rusty team just starting a season.

How ****** off must Montpellier be right now !! You lose the game because a drop goal that fell just under was given, even after the TMO !!!!

What's the views on new BP's rules in France? Or do they even make much difference

Well that was some match, without getting to crazed about the ref although he did have shocker, Racing came to spoil and prevoke, and they succeded, the red at half time was a disaster but the punches were throw, and we all know what happens these days!!!!!!
The second half was massive and we nearly stole the game but too many mistakes a wobbly goal kicking we missed 12 pts and we ewere just not aggressive enough at the breakown, but got a point which is better than Jack Sh**. Rene Ranger and Jimmy Nagusa played with their heart on their sleeves both excellent, the pack were not aggressive enough and we lost 5 lineouts, can't do that in TOP 14 and expect to win we will have to put that right next week against Grenoble.

Well that was some match, without getting to crazed about the ref although he did have shocker, Racing came to spoil and prevoke, and they succeded, the red at half time was a disaster but the punches were throw, and we all know what happens these days!!!!!!
The second half was massive and we nearly stole the game but too many mistakes a wobbly goal kicking we missed 12 pts and we ewere just not aggressive enough at the breakown, but got a point which is better than Jack Sh**. Rene Ranger and Jimmy Nagusa played with their heart on their sleeves both excellent, the pack were not aggressive enough and we lost 5 lineouts, can't do that in TOP 14 and expect to win we will have to put that right next week against Grenoble.

2 things Gaston.
1 is your hooker was shot that started and darts were terrible but 2 is interestingly Galthie has never won 1st game of season with ye

2 things Gaston.
1 is your hooker was shot that started and darts were terrible but 2 is interestingly Galthie has never won 1st game of season with ye

That is six seasons now we have never won the first game., but we have still qualified for the last 3 years so its not good but not a disaster neither, just we will have to win another game on the road. not quite sure i understand your comments about Geli, shot, darts!!!! is this some sort of James Bondism of Irish decent or magic mushroom code or something far too complicated for a Monday morning as i spent most of yesterday drowning my sorrows in alcohol and of course the WC Final supporting Canada, got that wrong as well.!!!!!
Tony do not concern yourself with us we will not be in the Stiffs next season you should concentrate on getting yourselves out of the SH** honestly we are fine the proof nearly won with 14 on the park!!!!!! we are fine as i said that's 6 seasons we have lost our first game and still manage to qualify end of season, !!!!!

Tony do not concern yourself with us we will not be in the Stiffs next season you should concentrate on getting yourselves out of the SH** honestly we are fine the proof nearly won with 14 on the park!!!!!! we are fine as i said that's 6 seasons we have lost our first game and still manage to qualify end of season, !!!!!

Tony not concerned......work on extraction from mire starts this weekend after two friendlies....two losses!!!

What's the views on new BP's rules in France? Or do they even make much difference

I think it makes a big difference because, if you are 6 pts behind not only can you get the defensive bonus point but you can also win the game if you are 7 behind you can only draw score must score twice to win
eg 1...score is 15-9 (6pts behind) you are one point off the bonus defence pt. try + conversion you are in the lead.with seconds to go
2 before the change score 15-7 (8pts behind, one pt of the bonus defence pt) score a try + conversion 15-14. you get the bonus pt but lose the game.
with this example the game can still be won but makes the game go right to the end. Same with the 3 try difference, in the UK score 4 tries you get the attack bonus point game over if both teams get 4 tries each get the bonus point even though one team loses ridiculous!! our way 3 tries differenc keeps the game alive to the end as far as the bonus point is concerned 3 tries to nil they score at the end you lose the point and it has happened many times as concentration starts to wander at the end of the game, makes games much more intense right to the end!!!! hope you understand.

Tony not concerned......work on extraction from mire starts this weekend after two friendlies....two losses!!!

hope you have bought one of those massive snow shovels there's a lot of digging to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaston I agree with views about BP it keeps teams firmly on toes. Also darts are line out throws. Ye struggled hugely in that department and made life very tough. But I think Montpellier just few adjustments away from getting it right. Back line looked good and powerful running.

Gaston I agree with views about BP it keeps teams firmly on toes. Also darts are line out throws. Ye struggled hugely in that department and made life very tough. But I think Montpellier just few adjustments away from getting it right. Back line looked good and powerful running.

The lineouts have been a thorn in our side for the last few seasons, when Eric Bechu was trainer it was his speciality, and there was great lineout ball and good dart throwing as you kindly explained , but poor Eric is longer with us and since his death we have reall,y struggled in this department. the rest is pretty good holding Racing to a 3 pts defeat with 14 on the park for the whole 2nd half proves that and we have many arrows or even darts to our bows

Last edited:
so Oyonnax probably should've won that game, agree with Urios...but tbh Toulouse weren't that awful. They were fairly bad, and both teams looked very clumsy and played at a relatively low level in the 2nd half, but Oyonnax were clinical and sharp as fkkn fkk in that first half on attack, goddamn. Never seen OYO pull it off like this, play after play. Looks good for the season.

Toulouse: Camara was off to have a killer game but gets injured after a gorgeous offload...this was widely a B team but ST still ought to show more nails at home against OYO, regardless of how much they've improved.

Good signs for me: Floody is already "inside" Toulouse, and he will integrate it more and more. Yann David looked on excellent form before stepping off. Poitrenaud wasn't bad at center, made some good runs and a break. Fickou didn't get much ball but bonified the ones he got, looks good for the year.

In fairness to Gaston I was impressed alot by Trinh-Duc. His play was lovely apart from 1 or 2 passes but that might have been the scrum-half, still though his goal kicking was poor and it may have cost you the game (all theoretical) ? Does Montpellier have a steady goal kicker at all ?

yeah I thought he had a good game. Couple of poor passes in 1st half due to lack of communication and but his defensive cover was excellent, he was everywhere. Gaston did Paillaugues take over the kicking (he also missed one kick if I recall) from FTD or do they swap during games depending on range?

that was one TMO howler for Day1, the Racing drop was not over. The ref was right to have it checked if he wasn't sure but how did the TMO not see it was under the crossbar??

so Oyonnax probably should've won that game, agree with Urios...but tbh Toulouse weren't that awful. They were fairly bad, and both teams looked very clumsy and played at a relatively low level in the 2nd half, but Oyonnax were clinical and sharp as fkkn fkk in that first half on attack, goddamn. Never seen OYO pull it off like this, play after play. Looks good for the season.

Toulouse: Camara was off to have a killer game but gets injured after a gorgeous offload...this was widely a B team but ST still ought to show more nails at home against OYO, regardless of how much they've improved.

Good signs for me: Floody is already "inside" Toulouse, and he will integrate it more and more. Yann David looked on excellent form before stepping off. Poitrenaud wasn't bad at center, made some good runs and a break. Fickou didn't get much ball but bonified the ones he got, looks good for the year.

yep that was another "close encounter" with Oyo. Remember our last game agst them away last April ended up in a draw. JM Doussain did everything for us in that game Drop Penalties Try scored all the points. Beauxis came on and missed the kick that would have won it for us. Oyo are not afraid of anyone in the league. They beat Toulon at home remember.

Poitrenaud is not a centre. He is a full back. Solid start for Flood. Camara Fickou looked sharp. We still have a lot of injured players. This is going to be a long season. The blessing is hopefully the likes of Picamoles Maestri will now get the break they didn't get (AND SHOULD HAVE GOT) in June. Looks like Louis is off for a full month. Good for him. He needs it.

Last edited:
Whatever anyone says the drop was good we played it back and back and every time it went over much to our regret.FTD is now our goalkicker he just had a bad day at the office the rest he was excellent Paillaugue had only one attempt which just went wide, it was one of those nights.....

Montpellier out wide looked good. They should have run it more because they exposed Racing everytime they did. MP should have won this game.

Racing are going to be a handfull this season. We'll have the usual suspects i.e the last 4 semi finalists Racing and Grenoble.

Latest posts