• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Semi Finals

welshglory I agree with your post, good points. But the fly-half thing I do not: I don't think France has a problem producing good 10's at all, nobody counted on Michalak turning into absolute shhite within 2 months time out of nowhere.
Lopez has been injured the entire season and he sure ain't an ordinary average 10.
Talès is good enough with some things, not quite great in other things but he's a sound 10 who's leading his team into another Top 14 semi-final and was great in last year's run. He played a very accomplished game against the All-Blacks last November.
Plisson has very good potential and has played a fine season for Paris, but still is very young and inexperienced but he'll get there, no doubt.
And FTD simply is the most underrated FH in the entire world atm and just one hell of a player and more complete than ever. He does it all.
Even Doussain can play some fine Rugby at 10 and has great vision for his team's attack, while Beauxis has had some very good performances even this year.

And yes, of course, just buying out 10's from around the world VS producing a larger number of local 10's....yes, of course that accounts for quite a bit, to be euphemistic.
I'm not sure how many European sides, or sides altogether world wide for that matter, can say so much about their own pool of players. And they don't even have our Top 14 foreigner picking the slots problem. So if we can't produce 10's, then that's a fine situation to have in that case.

I support Montypellier and they will be TOP 14 CHAMPIONS.!!!!!!!!!

I'm not criticising the Top 14 by the way. My point is that effective fly half play just isn't in French rugby culture in "general", very important. Some guys with really good skills but they don't have the consistent general type mentality of a Dan Carter or Jonny Wilkinson, it just isn't in French rugby culture. Sure there are guys here and there but not enough for the whole of the massive professional rugby scene in France. They've always had the petite general at 9 and always will, it's your style embrace it. Bringing in fly halves is a necessity not a hinderance in France.

It works for you guys; just like having left and right lineout jumping flankers does, a playmaking scrum half, a running flyhalf, massive pushing second rows who you can't even lift, and small props who destroy the biggest muthaf*****s in the world. We all have different cultures and styles and i'm sick and tired of everyone trying to say only certain ways work. You can't just change something like that overnight and who's to say it would be as effective. The only thing that holds France back is the laizes fair training and analysis mentality, lack of leadership from coaches and senior players and overplayed international players, that's it imo you guys have the players and style.

Regarding Trinh Duc, i think he is a wonderful player to watch and France probably should pick him. They should stick to their strengths and not try to be like everyone else. He wouldn't be considered good enough in most countries because of his lack of kicking game and inconsistent distribution, but his vision, running and defence should be good enough to really get France going. Lopez, Plisson offer solid options. Tales seems to work with the current regime because of the complete lack of direction and structure he can truck it up and make sound decisions.

well I would disagree with you, even though the concept still works, that you should just "play your style". Some things are becoming impossible to look past, or to have whatever form of alternative to. I think notably the center position, and the third row.
Wingers will always exist in all kinds of shape and form, and a Marc Andreu and his tiny size but blazing speed will 'always' be a plus, although nobody would refuse a Lomu or a George North on their squad and in fact would rather not take the risk and get the huge guy even at the wing. But fullbacks and flyhalves differ vastly from culture to culture or team to team, and props too, the hooker position is one that sees quite a multitude of different profiles...

But back to the center position, and flankers. It's my MASS argument: look, the newer face we've got at center is Remi Lamerat from Castres (who scored the try in Clermont the other night), and he's about 1m85, and 105kg. He's a guy we're taking with us to Australia. You'll always have the odd Wesley Fofana who replaces MASS with sheer skill, but world Rugby is (very) quickly moving toward power. So I'm not going through my whole demonstration again - but same with flankers, you just need power at the breakdown because the breakdown is becoming more important than ever and it's all about the SOB's and Willem Alberts, etc...
So to offer some response to what you're saying, the game IS indeed uniforming, conforming at very least in a few, very important sectors of the game; while others remain flexible enough for a variety in culture and execution.

And although I see what you're saying about French flyhalves, you're right it's culturally not our thing to have the rock-solid type, and "Bringing in fly halves is a necessity not a hindrance in France." I agree and disagree: we're slowly moving towards getting that kind of "English-type" flyhalf, Tales fits that and Saint-André wants him because he's very sound defensively, solid physically, and has a more traditional approach to the position - as opposed to more typically French Plisson, Michalak, Trinh-Duc, Lopez...
But, again, has to do with the change of modern Rugby: Rugby as a whole in France has become more pragmatic, because flair isn't an option anymore, but that's its own discussion...

Finally, regarding Trinh-Duc specifically: his kicking game has improved heaps since the 2011 era, and he still has a little bit of his old hazardous moments but they're rare, and then he's got all those other things not too many 10's bring at the moment, world wide...although I hear what you're saying, I'm not exactly sure too many sides would pass on him (provided they've really watched him closely, and don't rely on rumors and others' opinions but rather the reality as it is).

One more thing: as for our "style", what you've been seeing isn't our "style". Even under Lievremont, and God knows he's had his share of scrutiny and criticism, we were playing a whole lot closer to the French style - and yes, in that, I do mean modern French style, not French flair.
What we need is really that simple: get a real coaching staff, get rid of at least Saint-André and his backs coach Lagisquet and get some of those other really good current French coaches, for we certainly do have em.
And all of France can "analyze" Rugby in-depth; just not the people in office right now, or at least they can't make a change happen from it.

I don't think anybody doubts France has ever had a "players" issue. It was never, ever the talent lacking in our country...and it most definitely isn't right now.

EDIT:
fk, keep forgetting this !!!!

Last edited:
Excellent choice of photo B. E. when you support a team its 100% Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last press training day this morning before depart for Lille Thurs will keep all posted later but early start this morning, so have to get going...........

I may be an incompetent fool with occasionally uncontrollable bowels, smell bad more often than not, and be socially awkward with most people I'm with...but there's one thing I'm not, and that's Pakistani. No wait that's not it...if there's one thing I'm not, it's a half-assed fan with half-assed intentions.

But while I'm here, I ought to remind you dearest comrade gaston, just only briefly and with no actual consequences implied for this imminent semi-final of course...that Castres managed to beat our one true love Montypellier this season...both at theirs AND in Yves-du-Manoir...forgot if you'd alluded to that already, but I just thought I'd post it here and now...had forgotten about that...could it be....yes it was, their only loss at home this season. :eek:

I can go one better than that!!!!!!!!! the last 8 matches against Castres-ators we have lost only 7, but i can also assure that things are changing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it press training all over for this week bar the Friday afternoon in Lille press conference organised by the LNR.
another good run out by the boys and everything building up nicely for Sat little party in Lille. The team is more or less the Montypellier Dream Team but that you will have to be patient until thurs/Fri, when its officially announced.!!!!!!!!!!
Starting to get a little excited but keeping absolute composure in front of the any obstacles thrown our way.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
anybody read the bish comments Lorenzetti has expressed towards Boudjellal ??!! Pretty funny stuff. I like what he's said honestly, and I'd be inclined to back him up atm if any of the two.

it seems to happen every time theres a mini break inbetween games i think they both get bored abd decide to do something about their boredom, must admit Boujellal is great value for money and Lorenzetti is not far behind.

That's it press training all over for this week bar the Friday afternoon in Lille press conference organised by the LNR.
another good run out by the boys and everything building up nicely for Sat little party in Lille. The team is more or less the Montypellier Dream Team but that you will have to be patient until thurs/Fri, when its officially announced.!!!!!!!!!!
Starting to get a little excited but keeping absolute composure in front of the any obstacles thrown our way.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaston, when you say press training what does that mean?

Is it media briefing for the players and back room staff?

Is there any other Racing supporters out there? Hello! *wait for echo to die down*

If the boys can just struggle past RCT I have a good feeling for the final as Big Ewis is damning Montpol with every post he makes.

Gaston, when you say press training what does that mean?

Is it media briefing for the players and back room staff?

We have one press present, training session per week (normally Tuesday), the press are allowed first 20 mins of filming then they must cease, after that at the end of training there are press interviews with chosen players and coaches i look after all that and make sure it all runs smoothly. not always easy with the press but they know i will except no sh**, Friday after the Capt's run there is a press point with a coach and 2/3 players who are picked to play on the Sat.
Match days i accredit all press, tele, radio, etc organise the press stand seating then present in the press stand during the match making sure all is well, till 5 mins before the end of match, do an interview at the end of game on the pitch for my article which is on the site on Mon. Then after coach and President after match speechs i get the chosen players and coaches from changing rooms for post match interviews, Canal sports first, as they have the first 20/30 mins (all about money) translation if neccessary with the non French speaking players, this takes normally approx 1/2 hrs after game ends, (i have also done the match announcements in English for the H Cup and Amlin games), then go and have a well deserved beer or two with the boys!!!!!!! this post is voluntary, but i love it and there are great things that come from it, invitation to the final if we get there player and staff lunches etc etc.
if fact i'm an honourable slave but thats not a problem !!!!!

Is there any other Racing supporters out there? Hello! *wait for echo to die down*

If the boys can just struggle past RCT I have a good feeling for the final as Big Ewis is damning Montpol with every post he makes.

Yes me for one match, as if we beat Castres-ators i would rather we play Racing!!!!!!
and B. E. fidelity to Montypellier is his punishment !!! (given to him by me for his 1/4 final postings)

We have one press present, training session per week (normally Tuesday), the press are allowed first 20 mins of filming then they must cease, after that at the end of training there are press interviews with chosen players and coaches i look after all that and make sure it all runs smoothly. not always easy with the press but they know i will except no sh**, Friday after the Capt's run there is a press point with a coach and 2/3 players who are picked to play on the Sat.
Match days i accredit all press, tele, radio, etc organise the press stand seating then present in the press stand during the match making sure all is well, till 5 mins before the end of match, do an interview at the end of game on the pitch for my article which is on the site on Mon. Then after coach and President after match speechs i get the chosen players and coaches from changing rooms for post match interviews, Canal sports first, as they have the first 20/30 mins (all about money) translation if neccessary with the non French speaking players, this takes normally approx 1/2 hrs after game ends, (i have also done the match announcements in English for the H Cup and Amlin games), then go and have a well deserved beer or two with the boys!!!!!!! this post is voluntary, but i love it and there are great things that come from it, invitation to the final if we get there player and staff lunches etc etc.
if fact i'm an honourable slave but thats not a problem !!!!!

AH! i understand now.

I thought it was actual training where you tell people how to do stuff, and how to deal with the press... but you mean they just attend the open training session.

all makes complete sense now.

from this, thats where you get most of the build up articles, interviews, tele broadcasts etc about coming matches e,g there is a big Canal plus doc on the TOP 14 Gladiators, on the day of the final invoving players from all the teams should be interesting and fun worth watching.

Yes me for one match, as if we beat Castres-ators i would rather we play Racing!!!!!!
and B. E. fidelity to Montypellier is his punishment !!! (given to him by me for his 1/4 final postings)

Hah! Be careful what you wish for my friend.. in both cases.

Wishing is always part of the wonderful World of Wonderland, and sometimes it all comes true!!!!!!!!!!

loving Bakkies Botha in his latest interview as he returns to the pitch: "my role is to crush everything that moves". He feels like he can still give a good effort til the end of the season, and established he would play his last year next season. He'll really have had one heck of a ride for his career when it's all said and done...

Last edited:
He reckons that he will be good for 40 mins at least that gives the players of Racing only 40 mins to keep out his way instead of 80 mins, survival could be the name of the game especially if Backies has his eveil eye on someone or maybe all of them!!!!!

well in a more general way, I don't see how Racing could beat Toulon this weekend...they're good, and they can sneak up on you and grind one out and survive til the whistle blows, but against Toulon, as I eluded to before they're up against a real penalty kicker and natural 10, the most powerful and committed club side in Europe (the world ?) at the breakdown, and a backline that does have the accuracy to finish off or even create from scratch 5point scores. The RCT scrum isn't the Toulouse one, and they sure in hell ain't getting an edge there. This isn't a lightheaded, confused Toulouse side or a choking Clermont. It's the RCT.
There won't be any good surprises for the Racingmen and if they are to advance, they'll have to *win* this match, as opposed to having their opponents lose it. And I resume my deep pondering: how the hell are Racing Metro going to do that ?

Last edited:

Latest posts