Tough pools for London Sevens

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
The pools and match schedule for the London Sevens at Twickenham on May 22-23 have been announced by the International Rugby Board (IRB).

Samoa currently lead the Series by three points from New Zealand and as a result are the top seeds in the 16-team tournament with New Zealand, Fiji and Australia also heading a pool.

The opening match will be a repeat of the Cup final in Adelaide last month with Samoa looking to beat USA and get their challenge for a fourth successive Cup ***le off to a flying start before facing Italy and Argentina in Pool A.

Defending champions England will face two traditional sporting rivals on day one against Australia - the side they beat in the Hong Kong Cup quarter-finals - and Scotland, with Russia the other side in Pool D.

New Zealand, winners in Dubai and George in December, are joined in Pool B by crowd favourites Kenya, RWC Sevens champions Wales and Portugal.

South Africa, the defending IRB Sevens World Series champions, will be hoping to end a run of five straight losses to Fiji this season when they come face to face in Pool C, which also features Canada and France.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3829_6091504,00.html

Looks like a fairly "easy" group for England,
I realise no group will be truely easy, but i'd rather be in that group, than with SA/NZ/Fiji

Thing is, every team there is capable of beating any other.
I mean, obviously Fiji, Samoa and NZ are the best, but it's perfectly possible that USA, Kenya, Wales or Argentina could do well, if the group favourites have an off day.
I really would love to see those nations getting into the last 8 more, and in 7s it can happen quite easily.

I love sevens :D

Samoa going on results this year have an almost easy road to the final?
it is a joke saying that, but assuming 'everything goes to plan' with NZ etc. and no upsets screw up the top 8, Samoa have only opposition they have beaten in the same match stage in previous tournaments.

Should be fairly easy to see that top seed usually has the 'easiest' road to the final?

Thats whats great/not so great about sevens.
Anything can happen to anyone.

My fav match I watched was Wales v NZ at Wellington 2009. hahaha....

Wales thumped em really.

Latest posts