• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2011/12

Not sure if this is the right thread but saw in the paper that Bowe's been told he can leave the Ospreys at the end of the season.

Not sure if this is the right thread but saw in the paper that Bowe's been told he can leave the Ospreys at the end of the season.
I think everyone has been expecting this for the past two seasons. Any idea of his destination?

I think everyone has been expecting this for the past two seasons. Any idea of his destination?

ulsters fansite the front row union
suggests that he may be coming home to ulster or of down south with Munster.
no mention of leinster unlike the earlier rumours but we shall see

According to the paper I read Ulster, Leinster and Munster are the main contenders (naturally enough) it would obviously be a great move for any of the provinces ecspecially with the new restrictions. A move to England or France is considered possible but not probable.

Let's just remember Bowe will probably avoid France as this will interfere with the Lions selection in 2013.

I think (if rumours are to be believed) 2 teams in England are possibilities - Saints and Leicester.
And 3 teams in Ireland - Ulster, Munster and Leinster.

If he went to Uk he still has to try get back before end of career for tax reasons and well it's possible if he rejects a move home the IRFU will never offer him a big contract in few years.
Now if he comes to Ireland.
Ulster - It's said he didn't leave on the best of terms and was given abuse (not from Ulster fans at games) over been a catholic.
Munster - Poor back options and with Dougie likely to move in to coaching here at end of season or be reduced to minimum amount of games there is a big cry out for a back 3 International class player.
Leinster - Possibly his best option but would IRFU sanction it as Leinster have alot of talent coming through and is it in the best interests of the Irish team. (If Dougie retired Munster would be odd's on to sign a NIQ player where if Leinster missed Bowe they have Kearney, McFadden and many more options).

As Bowe would be on a central contract the price of contract would not matter to the provinces as IRFU would be paying his wage.
And well maybe Connacht may do the impossible :D

Let's just remember Bowe will probably avoid France as this will interfere with the Lions selection in 2013.

I think (if rumours are to be believed) 2 teams in England are possibilities - Saints and Leicester.
And 3 teams in Ireland - Ulster, Munster and Leinster.

If he went to Uk he still has to try get back before end of career for tax reasons and well it's possible if he rejects a move home the IRFU will never offer him a big contract in few years.
Now if he comes to Ireland.
Ulster - It's said he didn't leave on the best of terms and was given abuse (not from Ulster fans at games) over been a catholic.
Munster - Poor back options and with Dougie likely to move in to coaching here at end of season or be reduced to minimum amount of games there is a big cry out for a back 3 International class player.
Leinster - Possibly his best option but would IRFU sanction it as Leinster have alot of talent coming through and is it in the best interests of the Irish team. (If Dougie retired Munster would be odd's on to sign a NIQ player where if Leinster missed Bowe they have Kearney, McFadden and many more options).

As Bowe would be on a central contract the price of contract would not matter to the provinces as IRFU would be paying his wage.
And well maybe Connacht may do the impossible :D

I'm not sure that I believe this. As far as I know there's never been an issue about Tommy being a Catholic. You'll probably want to be able to give a reference for that as what I've been hearing is that he wants to head back up North.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I buy the 'Munster need him more' talk either. Ulster currently have Danielli, Trimble, Gilroy, D'arcy, Terblanche and Payne as their back three options. Danielli is being let go and Terblanche is a short term deal. Two senior wingers just isn't enough to compete at the level Ulster are now at. Added to the fact that Ulster have a whole host of young players coming up who could really benefit from having Bowe around and it seems to me that Ulster have at least as good a claim as Munster.

At the end of the day it comes down to where Tommy wants to go. If the IRFU try to force him into a move to one of their other provinces against his will (See the Simon Easterby situation a few years ago) it will once again prove what a bunch of incompetent old farts they are and we could be seeing one of our best talents continue to ply his trade abroad.

I'm not sure that I believe this. As far as I know there's never been an issue about Tommy being a Catholic. You'll probably want to be able to give a reference for that as what I've been hearing is that he wants to head back up North.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I buy the 'Munster need him more' talk either. Ulster currently have Danielli, Trimble, Gilroy, D'arcy, Terblanche and Payne as their back three options. Danielli is being let go and Terblanche is a short term deal. Two senior wingers just isn't enough to compete at the level Ulster are now at. Added to the fact that Ulster have a whole host of young players coming up who could really benefit from having Bowe around and it seems to me that Ulster have at least as good a claim as Munster.

At the end of the day it comes down to where Tommy wants to go. If the IRFU try to force him into a move to one of their other provinces against his will (See the Simon Easterby situation a few years ago) it will once again prove what a bunch of incompetent old farts they are and we could be seeing one of our best talents continue to ply his trade abroad.
As I stated it wasn't from Ulster fans and well can't give references as it was said and I not 100% on it as I said.
And I didn't mean to make it sound as Munster need him most as you said and while I agree with what you say about the IRFU, I'm afraid they will try lean him in a direction.
And I can understand if he did rejoin Ulster as they are on the up (and this is where I'd bet on him ending up)

If Munster get Bowe then I wouldn't be surprised if he plays in the midfield quite a bit.

Now, since according to Kidney, both Hurley and Zebo are better than Gilroy, it only stands to reason he should come to Ulster.

As I stated it wasn't from Ulster fans and well can't give references as it was said and I not 100% on it as I said.
And I didn't mean to make it sound as Munster need him most as you said and while I agree with what you say about the IRFU, I'm afraid they will try lean him in a direction.
And I can understand if he did rejoin Ulster as they are on the up (and this is where I'd bet on him ending up)

Yep, I won't be surprised at all if the IRFU try to make Tommy play in Munster. That said, I think Munster could have a pretty tasty back line in a few years without him anyway. Zebo, Jones and Earls would be quite a potent back three in anyone's book.

psychic duck said:

The word was that about 6 years back Simon Easterby was angling for a move back to Ireland. This was a bit after the 05' Lions tour in which he was one of the few players to come out of it looking okay as far as I remember. Simon favoured a move to Leinster for family reasons, but word is that the IRFU wouldn't contract him unless he went to Ulster. Easterby decided it was better to stay at Llanelli than have to be pushed around by the clowns at the IRFU.

Good luck to Bowe if he leaves. He's another of the star Ospreys players who's form has waned recently, something I blame on the coaches, not the player. Moving to the Ospreys was the best thing he ever did, it really improved his game, but moving back to Ireland is the right thing now, and I think we'll quickly see the Tommy of old (as we do for Ireland).

Good luck to Bowe if he leaves. He's another of the star Ospreys players who's form has waned recently, something I blame on the coaches, not the player. Moving to the Ospreys was the best thing he ever did, it really improved his game, but moving back to Ireland is the right thing now, and I think we'll quickly see the Tommy of old (as we do for Ireland).

the Ospreys game plan doesn't give the wingers much space, even Shane is struggling this season as well as Bowe, I honestly don't remember Shane being provided many good opportunities to run and definitely not to score

Bowe is a good player, but the Ospreys would get a lot of money for him as he still has a year of contract and is one of the highest paid UK based players

maybe with the money we could sign a proper replacement for Collins or Byrne, I always wished Isaia Toeava would come and play for the Ospreys the kind of player we need

by the way all these Bowe posts should be on the rumour thread

Last edited:
It's like the Quickening, all the Irish players drawn back to their home lands.

To battle it out until there can be only one....

Oh, wait, that's Highlander.

Why?
Abendanon's a very good player for Bath, and Webber is a good player atm and will only get better with time.

I think that's great news for Bath.

Why?
Abendanon's a very good player for Bath, and Webber is a good player atm and will only get better with time.

I think that's great news for Bath.

Bendy is great news.

Webber I really don't rate. I mean there's worse players about but I just don't think he has it. In their shoes I'd have been asking Gray and Brooker which one wanted to move and get guaranteed starts...

edit: Maybe not, forgot that Mears is still alive.

edit edit: Cowan to Glaws is apparently a possibility, speaking of the west country.

Last edited:
Webber sure as hell ain't perfect but I'd argue that his major weakness is in the lineout, somewhere that Mears is pretty good at IMHO.
u
Mearsy will do the job for the next couple of seasons, should he stay, and hopefully pass down the tricks of the trade to Webber who'll be coming up to standard as Mears fades off into the distance.

Webber sure as hell ain't perfect but I'd argue that his major weakness is in the lineout, somewhere that Mears is pretty good at IMHO.
u
Mearsy will do the job for the next couple of seasons, should he stay, and hopefully pass down the tricks of the trade to Webber who'll be coming up to standard as Mears fades off into the distance.

webber is definitely more of a loss to wasps than he is a gain for bath. that said, what exactly is mears going to be able to teach webber? how to be small?

If Mears can teach Webber a bit of desire and how to make the most of his talents, a bit of nous, that'd be great. Webber seems to have all the skills, size and speed, but just can't put it together consistently.

Latest posts