• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2011/12

Seán Cronin (Connacht), Nathan White (Chiefs), Jamie Hagan (Connacht), Damien Browne (Brive), Steven Sykes (Sharks), Cillian Willis (Connacht), Matt Berquist (Crusaders), Fionn Carr (Connacht)
In order from best to worst:

Cronin
White
Browne
Carr
Hagan
Willis
Berquist
Sykes

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 100%, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]
23.gif

Ospreys

[/TD]
[TD]Ken Dowding (Bridgend), Aaron Jarvis (Bath), Chauncey O'Toole (The Rock), Joe Bearman (Dragons), George Stowers (London Irish), Kahn Fotuali'i (Crusaders)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
for the Ospreys

1. Fotuali'i - not set the world alight, has had some good moments and some bad ones as well, but brings more spark into the game than Webb
2. Jarvis - has been quite decent, obviously not as good as the Hair Bear but a decent second choice
3. Stowers - totally misused, he's a number 8 yet the coaches insist on playing Jonathan Thomas there, doesn't seem to offer much without ball in hand and can be a penalty machine
4. O'Toole - has hardly played thanks to the coaches love of Tom Smith and behind a good player in Tipuric, should perhaps be given a bit more opportunity in the coming weeks, but would it be asking too much for Johnson to drop Smith?
5. Bearman - was a good player for the Dragons, but is 32 and injuries look as if they have halved him as a player, constantly getting knocked back ball carrying
6. Dowding - considering he was signed from Bridgend and has just continued to play for Bridgend he hardly counts as a signing

I'd say Sykes is more disappointing since he came with a bigger pedigree than Hekenui did. Assuming he is going back to South Africa, he's been as ineffective in his spell with Leinster as Ed O'Donoghue who was a dud signing last season.

Blues brought in ...

Gav Henson, Marc Breeze, Ryan Tyrell and Jamie Corsi.

Henson been the best out of a lot. Tyrell / Breeze has been decent in spells.

the Cardiff Blues should sign Marc Jones from Sale, he says he wants to return to Wales to help his international chances and the Blues could do with an extra hooker, better than Tyrell and Breeze, neither of whom I think are any more than second/third choice squad players

Not impressed with either Tyrell or Breeze. Blues need a better second choice than either of those. I feel they should give more gametime to Rhys Williams who's a good prospect, and seems to have decent lineout throwing at least, something Tyrell struggles with.

glad to hear Tuculet is doing well, was a very good full back for the Pampas XV last year, almost Foden like but weaker in contact
He reminds me of a younger Cueto - not the fastest wing, but is very hard to put down and will manage to make an extra couple of metres regardless of the number of defenders in front of him.
Very good with the boot as well, either clearance or little chips over/through the defence.

In regard to O'Toole, he has been playing for the Ravens in the premiership, and not really looked up to playing anything beyond LV matches. His blunder against Aironi was simply priceless.
Ben Thomas had a good season with the U20's, and looked like one who could make the step. Since Pitman has returned from Glasgow, Thomas has been playing 6 and 4.

Best signings for Ulster

John Afoa

*tumbleweed*

Stefan Terblanche
Lewis Stevenson
Jared Payne
McComish/Black

Think that about covers it. Afoa has been absolutely phenomenal. No bad signings though.

you're not getting rid of Sykes according to this guy

http://twitter.com/#!/JeanSmyth/status/160081422307168256

the Cardiff Blues should sign Marc Jones from Sale, he says he wants to return to Wales to help his international chances and the Blues could do with an extra hooker, better than Tyrell and Breeze, neither of whom I think are any more than second/third choice squad players

Agreed. Would rather see them develop Rhys Williams along with Rhys Thomas and get in Marc Jones.

From what I've seen, McComish was a pointless signing. He was an insignifant player for Connacht and seems to be at Ulster merely to help fill out the squad. Ulster don't have much in the way of backrow depth so I can see the logic behind giving him a contract.

Black has been okay though. He won't push Tom Court for a starting spot and is a fair way short of Paddy McAllister in terms of talent but he's an excellent third stringer or, if Court is on international duty, a very good bench option.

have McComish/Black been playing much? pointless signings are bad signings in my book

Black had a long term injury, McComish has also been out for a bit as well. Black came into the team arse end of December which was very useful timing as Paddy McAllister promptly hurt himself, he's looked useful enough.

McComish hasn't really been involved much even when fit, but then he's also our only back-rower to have been injured all season. Ergo we haven't needed to dip into our depth as much as needed. Imagine he'll see some gametime over the 6N. Both are improvements on the players who left, albeit minor ones. I'm happy with them.

dont get ur hopes up about callum black he was rubbish at worcester

For Scarlets
Viliame Iongi: Skillfull player, will be first choice next season.
Sione Timani: Given time he will be a very good second row.
Ruki Tipuna: Good cover at scrum-half in the world cup, but let him go after, wasn't great but gave us a hand when we needed it.
Rhodri Gomer-Davies: Adds some experienced depth, but haven't used him much.
Aled Thomas: Mediocre at best.
Rhys Jones: Seen him play a few minutes, seems a pointless signing.

Can't comment on Liam Davies as I haven't seen him play yet.

Wasn't Gomer-Davies forced to reture earlier in the season due to injury?

Now that you mention it. Gomer-Davies was on the S4C punditry panel for the Perpignan-Exeter game the other day. Anyone got any details?

Now that you mention it. Gomer-Davies was on the S4C punditry panel for the Perpignan-Exeter game the other day. Anyone got any details?

He's been doing that for a while so I think he should be fine.

Latest posts