• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2015/16

Wonder where he'll go?
He's obviously going somewhere he'll be getting a lot more time. Hard to think of somewhere that's really crying out for a scrumhalf. I'd say Saracens, with NdK apparently off, but then will they be looking to bring through Spencer into the first choice 23?

Maybe if Bristol get promoted? Peel is likely to move more into coaching than playing in his 2nd year of player/coaching.
When is Stringer's contract up at Bath? Rotating between Cook and Robson would be insane.

Actually, Not Nots could really do with a 9 - depends how much faith he has in (/how good they are at selling) their future.

Bah humbug. Off to go tell children that Santa isn't real. :(

I think Glos have blown it. Laidlaw is a fantastic player to have, but we've potentially lost a player with a glittering 10 year career ahead of him, for someone who will wind down in the next few years.

Wouldn't be surprised if half the clubs in the Premiership go after him now.

edit: as an England fan, I suppose it is good news that he'll be moving to secure a starting spot. As a Glos fan, this is extremely disappointing.

Last edited:
Shame for Glos, but what a signing for Exeter.

A shining endorsement for what Exeter have achieved as a club.

If he does go to Exeter, Exeter could have three ex-Glos scrummies:
Dan Robson, Haydn Thomas, Dave Lewis

Although I reckon they're more likely to keep Chudley and get rid of Lewis tbh.

Still think he'll go to Wasps.

Shame for Glos, but what a signing for Exeter.

A shining endorsement for what Exeter have achieved as a club.

Richly deserved if you ask me. Clubs that continually bring in players ahead of their best prospects deserve to lose them - and it's what England need.

Would they chuck Lewis?
He's relatively injury prone, but he's performed well whenever I've seen him.

Richly deserved if you ask me. Clubs that continually bring in players ahead of their best prospects deserve to lose them - and it's what England need.
Laidlaw was brought in to be the first-choice 10 under Nigel Davies. Nigel Davies got the boot, Humphreys and Laurie came in, and Laidlaw was no longer seen as a 10. (Plus a stroke of luck with Hook coming available, otherwise they would have been forced to play Laidlaw as a 10.)

Had Davies continued, Robson-Laidlaw would have been the partnership. Had Humphreys come in earlier, Laidlaw probably wouldn't have been signed with the money spent elsewhere.

Hard to blame the club over this really.

Would they chuck Lewis?
He's relatively injury prone, but he's performed well whenever I've seen him.
Oh, is Lewis injured? I thought it was just that Exeter were picking Chudley and Thomas ahead of him.

Lewis was pretty pants for Gloucester, but did seem to step it up last season for Exe.

Last edited:
6. Dan Lydiate 7. Justin Tipuric 8. Dan Baker

Sam Lewis, Morgan Allen and James King in reserve.

Impressive stuff.

Tyler Ardron over James King. Lydiate might help cover Baker's defence, which seems to be his biggest issue at the moment.
No clue why they go with Peers over Bernardo. Rynier is always an improvement when he comes on. The Nickys at prop are great options, and Paul James returning will help. I think Parry will be a better hooker than Baldwin. A few young second rows coming through as well: Rhodri Hughes, Rory Thornton, and Adam Beard. All big guys it seems, so that makes a change from the last few (King, Peers, Cook, Hill, Screech) who never really got the height/bulk needed.

I think Ospreys may have made a mistake in signing Paul James. His scrummaging doesn't stand out like it used to, and it'll be a lot of money spent on him if he continues to wane.

Jimmy Gopperth (Leinster) -> Elsewhere (most likely an English club)http://www.thescore.ie/leinster-jimmy-gopperth-3-1824063-Dec2014/ I wish him the best of luck and hope he gets a nice big juicy cheque. He's been a very good servant for us and shouldn't have to put up with the stick he gets from certain "fans". Although he was signed by Joe he's become unfairly tied with MO'C and seems to represent everything people hate about him getting tarred as a defensive kick-ball-away player despite having the most linebreaks of any player in the league...go figure. Though of course him being an older foreignor keeping on of "Leinsters favourite sons" on the bench meant things were against him from the start.

Good move from an Ospreys perspective. Awful scrum half. Would rather keep Roberts only because it frees up an NWQ spot.
Does WalesOnline count as a good source of confirmation...? Lol

Dan Lydiate -----> Ospreys

Looks like Dragons have confirmed he won't be returning to them at least anyway.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-star-dan-lydiate-set-8242044

Confirmed today. Good move really. I'd rather see him playing top level fixtures in a leading Pro12 side.

I think Ospreys may have made a mistake in signing Paul James. His scrummaging doesn't stand out like it used to, and it'll be a lot of money spent on him if he continues to wane.

Maybe, but it might work out. Nicky Smith will be out probably most of the season with his pectoral injury, so they will probably bring him back slowly in 2015. Bevington is having injury problems as well, not to mention he is basically not needed with the new scrum laws. Not sure how much longer Duncan can go on for either. James is a good guy to have in the 23, and hopefully can be a mentor to the young forwards. I really believe of all players who left the Ospreys between 2010/12, James was the most missed.

Leinster have Jamie Hagan on loan as well. Is the situation that bad? I have heard Bent can also play tight head.

Latest posts