• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I can can only see cipriani going if he doesn't get picked for six nations or the World Cup because if he goes and plays for Toulon now he will be breaking the RFUs policy of he has to play in England so all the hype about him making a England return will have been a waste

so it's pretty likely he'll go then.

There are a few things going in Sale's favour in that he likes living up in Manchester and he suits the team well plus he seems to react well to Diamond. I just worry if he moves on Sale will drop off the radar as he is used in all of the marketing and he must help the gate figures.

Cirpiani came to Sale for one reason only - England recognition, which is very unlikely except in extreme circumstance (such as last summer), he's clearly 4/5th choice.

I would not be surprised to see him jog on.

Last edited:
Surprised Toulon are rumoured to be after him TBH.

I'm not.

He'd be a prefect signing for them, they like their waifs & strays, and someone who is as high profile and divisive as Cip's... I mean look at the squad it's a who's who of other peoples don't wants.

Last edited:
Yeah, Toulon like big names first and foremost.
They don't care how shaky your form can be or they never would have signed Michalak, or taken a chance on Giteau (who was in poor form) or Mitchell (who was perpetually injured) and Basta who was very hit or miss. As long as you've got the potential to be brilliant they're happy to take a risk.

Toulon have a history of taking all our best players as well - ever since PSA took half our squad to France with him.

Which pundit (I'd like to say Healey?) was it that made the point recently that a significant advantage of Sale over most English clubs is that Cipriani has Leota and Tuitupou on his outside? Two players who can get Cips out of trouble any time he lands in it.

That's what used to make the Burns-Twelvetrees axis work so well. Burns tries the outrageous and Twelvetrees provides the support and bails Burns out when it didn't work.

so Cipriani wants to be in Toulon apparently, he's the one approaching the club. Interesting boy, this one...he had that Super Rugby parenthesis, had very good stretches playing Rugby, with some attacking flair. Now he wants to taste some Top 14, and is seeking Wilkinson's guidance. Interesting, road-less-traveled type guy. Special callings, trying to find that *something* obviously as he moves around to very different destinations...I'm starting to take a liking to him.
Michalak could be gone, off to Japan in very little time, and with an aging Giteau (32)...but he knows Toulon is basically military training, he knows the pressure he'll have to go through week in week out. If Toulon manage to Toulonize him (rejuvenate/get best out of player again), maybe England will start picking him again.

A rarely interesting story in the making.

If Toulon manage to Toulonize him (rejuvenate/get best out of player again), maybe England will start picking him again.

A rarely interesting story in the making.

Except England won't pick a player based in France and Toulon allegedly want him to retire from international rugby.

He would, imo, be a wonderful signing for Toulon, who seem very adept at stamping out bad behaviour from their players. His biggest weakness (goalkicking) doesn't exist with Halfpenny on the field, he's got time on his side, he is one of the best fly-halves in Europe if Toulon can provide platform and guidance. AND he won't miss internationals.

His biggest weakness (goalkicking) doesn't exist with Halfpenny on the field, he's got time on his side, he is one of the best fly-halves in Europe if Toulon can provide platform and guidance. AND he won't miss internationals.

Father Jonny will watch over him well.
And when you say his biggest weakness doesn't exist with Halfpenny on the field, you're not insinuating HP will have some sort of magical effect on Cipriani which will liberate him from his demons..or...oh wait I have to go.

Well Sale have already stamped out the bad behaviour and rejuvenated him hence why he is being talked about for England ;)

Toulon would be getting a player in prime for if they do manage to sign him.

Well Sale have already stamped out the bad behaviour and rejuvenated him hence why he is being talked about for England ;)

Toulon would be getting a player in prime for if they do manage to sign him.

he's only really being talked about for england by media trolls, no one actually thinks he'll get anywhere near starting for England, and frankly his form this season has been all over the place.

and frankly his form this season has been all over the place.
I've seen you say this a few times, but it's really not true.
He's been more consistent this season than last - maybe not had the stand out sparkles that he produced at times last season, but his poor games have still be decent. It's like this season he fluctuates between 6-8, and last was 3-10.

I've seen you say this a few times, but it's really not true.
He's been more consistent this season than last - maybe not had the stand out sparkles that he produced at times last season, but his poor games have still be decent. It's like this season he fluctuates between 6-8, and last was 3-10.

I'd agree with this . At least for the sale games I've seen ...

He's won them more games than he's lost this year by some margin he's generally playing well . Other than goal kicking I can't see any reason why he would be picked over Farrell ....

I'd agree with this . At least for the sale games I've seen ...

He's won them more games than he's lost this year by some margin he's generally playing well . Other than goal kicking I can't see any reason why he would be picked over Farrell ....

He is definitely better in attack than Farrell but goal kicking defence and passing he's not that's probably why but who knows how Lancaster thinks should never have started with Farrell ford was in form and Farrell had been out injured mad choice!

His passing is not good?
What are you smoking? Is it like a ton of crystal meth and crack mixed together in a hobo's shoe?

Latest posts