• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Apparently there was a flurry of excitement in Bath when Brian Habana was recently spotted with his whole family ... turns out they were visiting the Louws as they're old friends.

That made me giggle, rugby fans love to get overexcited don't we...

It would give him less direct competition for an England shirt but a back row of Simmonds/Underhill/Vunipola cannot compete at the lineout. I'd say his best chance at an England shirt would actually be to aim to make the ideal 20, serious pace coming off the bench and able to cover the whole back row. The Clifford mould. With EJ's "finisher" ethos I'd have thought he would be open to looking for players specifically for the bench.

Yeah - I agree on this. I don't really see Simmonds as covering 6 - he's more of a 7 or lightweight, mobile 8 IMO, but that's still more than enough to be a very good impact sub/'finisher'.

I agree Simmonds as similar to Clifford, but I'd say he's more of a 7 who can play 8 than an 8 who can play 7. I just hope he has more luck than Jack has with injuries.

I'm not sure he has time to make in to the World Cup mix though to be honest? Theoretically, two seasons is plenty of time, but he doesn't seem to be on the immediate radar with England and given that Eddie's probably looking to settle on his main squad sooner rather than later, the odds are against him.

From a short term POV, Wilson is my man. He's not going to make a 20m break or do anything spectacular, but he covers the whole back row and like Robshaw will consistently put in high quality performances and make very few errors. I thought he was our best player in Argentina.

Is a backrow of
6 - Simmonds
7 - Underhill
8 - Vunipola
that much weaker in the lineout than
6 - Robshaw
7 - Haskell
8 - Vunipola

Is a backrow of
6 - Simmonds
7 - Underhill
8 - Vunipola
that much weaker in the lineout than
6 - Robshaw
7 - Haskell
8 - Vunipola
Yes. Probably not a lot of difference between Underhill and Haskell but Simmonds never jumps for Exeter, I'd be interested to see whether he ever has, whereas although Robshaw is not a lineout forward he can certainly get a job done there. That means the only player in the back row who can jump is Underhill and I don't like having a 7 in the air.

At some point we should probably return to transfer rumours in this thread ... ;)

Dang after taking a bit of a plop on Ulster all day my heart is warmed to say it's rumored they'll be signing Christian Lealiifano. Would love to see him restart his rugby career in Ireland and find some fitness before going home. Has some versatility about him, which is what Ulster need at the moment too.
Imagine he wouldn't be there on a long term basis, but that probably works for Ulster, the ARU and the man himself.

Dang after taking a bit of a plop on Ulster all day my heart is warmed to say it's rumored they'll be signing Christian Lealiifano. Would love to see him restart his rugby career in Ireland and find some fitness before going home. Has some versatility about him, which is what Ulster need at the moment too.
Imagine he wouldn't be there on a long term basis, but that probably works for Ulster, the ARU and the man himself.

I really don't want that to happen.
ARU need him and so do the Brumbies.
I also don't want to start liking ulster.

short term contract would make sense though.

I really don't want that to happen.
ARU need him and so do the Brumbies.
I also don't want to start liking ulster.

short term contract would make sense though.

From what my sources say, he's close to signing, if he did it would be a short term contract, and he may not even be here for the full year if what I'm hearing is correct, going back to the Brumbies for the start of the Super rugby season which would be a blow for the business end of the season

if he did it would be a short term contract, and he may not even be here for the full year.....

GRRRRR. I do believe I mumbled about short termism and guns for hire on another thread. Just hate this kind of mind set. I'd much rather watch a team develop than star individuals flit in and out.

Before I go back to the 1970s, I did find it quite funny that his new team mates have christened May "Neymar"

GRRRRR. I do believe I mumbled about short termism and guns for hire on another thread. Just hate this kind of mind set. I'd much rather watch a team develop than star individuals flit in and out.

Before I go back to the 1970s, I did find it quite funny that his new team mates have christened May "Neymar"
To be fair this is kind of justified as Ulsters first choice 10 and one of their backup 10s are out of action pending their court case/trial, so they need someone in to cover their absence but don't want to sign a long term option as they could be back playing after Christmas (or whenever the trial is done).

To be fair this is kind of justified as Ulsters first choice 10 and one of their backup 10s are out of action pending their court case/trial, so they need someone in to cover their absence but don't want to sign a long term option as they could be back playing after Christmas (or whenever the trial is done).

Fair enough in this case Olyy, but the trend's there.

Saints supposedly close to signing Heinrich Brussow, not sure how genuine the rumour is but I'd love to see it none the less, he's not an 8 but he could make up for the carrying of an 8 and be brings breakdown skills

Saints supposedly close to signing Heinrich Brussow, not sure how genuine the rumour is but I'd love to see it none the less, he's not an 8 but he could make up for the carrying of an 8 and be brings breakdown skills

I would say he hardly makes up for the ball carrying of an 8.

He is a linking 7 not a carrying 7.

Poor Ludlam......

Hearing Te'o to Bath/Leicester

May need to change my opinion...

If to Bath, then the only real surprise would be that Wuss willingly release him this close to the season.

To tigers would be a real surprise though

If to Bath, then the only real surprise would be that Wuss willingly release him this close to the season.

To tigers would be a real surprise though

Yeah - I heard this one too. Bath would make more sense, but regardless of who they'd be selling to, I don't get why Worcester would sell with two weeks to go until the first game of the season?

Surely can't be that desperate this close to the start of the season?

Could be a case of not keeping a player that doesn't want to be there? If he's come back from the lions tour with aspirations of a ***le hunt he could've raised his concerns with the management who have then asked around

Latest posts