• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Brad Shields to Saracens or Wasps, has an eye on playing for England apparently, qualifying through his English passport
I worry about the message this would give out. Not regarding poaching or anything but it would completely discredit us as a team that's aiming to be the best in the world if we're using players that couldn't get a look into the All Blacks squad.

100% agree Toby.

Shields is probably a bit unfortunate not to have been capped I'd say, so it's not so much a case of him being unworthy for NZ as it is a case of we don't really need him at 6 or 8 IMO.

It's similar to Michael Rhodes being touted as an EPS contender when he becomes eligible. Just becasue we can pick these players doesn't mean we should/will. Personally I don't think Shields is a better player than Robshaw and I think Mark Wilson has shown enough to be considered a very good deputy. No way he's getting ahead of Billy at 8 and Hughes, like Wilson has shown he is a very good second choice.

If Shields wants to play in the Premiership, he's welcome to come and play, but if he's under the impression that he can walk in to the EPS, I think that would be misguided.

Apparently he's being offered to all clubs at £350k per season rather than specifically Wasps/Saracens.

Yup unless he's going to be the next Richie McCaw in the present state of the game in terms of teams strength I don't see how any offcuts from any of the other nations would walk into our team.

I can see players that don't fit the playing style of a particular manager willing to go overseas.
Is he eligible for more money if he is an English qualified player? He's worth more to a team if he is.

I'm not endorsing him to play for England but I imagine Eddie's probably quite keen. I could actually see him doing well at 7 for Saracens/England. He's not that big is he?

Danny Cipriani --> Out of Wasps
Lozowski --> Wasps
Rhys Webb --> Northampton

Webb to Northampton is a strange one unless Groom is on the way out so Reinach and Webb could fight it out, might want to stay with Bigger too, Lozowski to Wasps is a good call though, he'll be behind Farrell for a long time at Sarries, wants to be first choice

Webb to Northampton is a strange one unless Groom is on the way out so Reinach and Webb could fight it out, might want to stay with Bigger too, Lozowski to Wasps is a good call though, he'll be behind Farrell for a long time at Sarries, wants to be first choice
Likely to win a lot less silverware though. I'd love it if Saracens decide do to drop Barrett and play Loz 10, Faz 12. Nothing against Barrett, I just would rather see that axis.

Danny Cipriani --> Out of Wasps
Lozowski --> Wasps
Rhys Webb --> Northampton

TRP reporting the first two but linking Webb with a move to France rather than Saints.

They're also linking Sale with Chris Kuridrani.

Likely to win a lot less silverware though. I'd love it if Saracens decide do to drop Barrett and play Loz 10, Faz 12. Nothing against Barrett, I just would rather see that axis.

Surely wouldn't drop Barrett. He's Mr Saracens. Arguably the most important man on the pitch for their style.

He's been linked with other ventures
Maternal health problems from what I hear.
Either way though, he'll be in demand I'm sure.

Speculation (rather than rumour) that we might be tapping up Joe Maddock to join the Bath coaching crew.

TRP reporting the first two but linking Webb with a move to France rather than Saints.

They're also linking Sale with Chris Kuridrani.

Maybe just got the Ospreys halfbacks mixed up with Dan Biggar now being confirmed for Northampton next season! ;)