• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

As a quins fan, I'm not too sure about either of those deals if I'm honest. Lewis Boyce looks fantastic as a replacement loosehead and Holenstein is also up there, so essentially he would be coming in and battling for 3rd choice again. We only signed Saili in the summer and have Merchant to come back from injury soon. I would hate to see Marchant's career stumble because of two big money imports in the centres. It just doesnt make sense to me....

I completely disagree. If the rumours are true and we have secured Auterac, Symons, Tapuai and Earle to replace Lambert, Matthews, Roberts and Yarde, I think we can say Kingston has done some good business.

Boyce is looking good but he's 21 and, as we saw again yesterday, his ability at the set-piece isn't a patch on his game in the loose. I'm not convinced he's good enough to be undisputed second choice yet. Auterac is a solid insurance policy. I'm not sure what you've seen from Holenstein that I haven't, but he's nowhere near first team standard ATM.

Tapuai is replacing Roberts and from what we've seen so far, Saili won't be able to string together enough games to be anywhere near blocking Marchant's development. We've also seen that Kingston is prepared to trust our young players, so if Marchant is fit and in form, I expect him to be first choice.

Roberts has been so much better this season, but he's very expensive and I think Tapuai has a more varied game that will work well in midfield with Smith and Marchant either side of him.

TRP Rumours:

Rohan Janse van Rensburg - Lions > Sale/Gloucester
David Strettle - Clermont > Saracens
James Haskell - Wasps > Bristol/Northampton (?!?!)
Charlie Matthews - Harlequins > Wasps (?!?!)
Jono Lance - Western Force > Worcester
Will Davis - Ealing Trailfinders > Northampton
Lewis Thiede - Ealing Trailfinders > Bristol
Quade Cooper - Queensland Reds > Ulsteri

Thanks some interesting ones there.

Strettle back to Sarries would be a weird one
I'd have thought it more likely to see him back at Quins

Not a huge surprise given the Ackermann connection although both sides are equally interesting, up and coming sides IMO.

I'm a touch surprised Saracens didn't join the race though.

I completely disagree. If the rumours are true and we have secured Auterac, Symons, Tapuai and Earle to replace Lambert, Matthews, Roberts and Yarde, I think we can say Kingston has done some good business.

Boyce is looking good but he's 21 and, as we saw again yesterday, his ability at the set-piece isn't a patch on his game in the loose. I'm not convinced he's good enough to be undisputed second choice yet. Auterac is a solid insurance policy. I'm not sure what you've seen from Holenstein that I haven't, but he's nowhere near first team standard ATM.

Tapuai is replacing Roberts and from what we've seen so far, Saili won't be able to string together enough games to be anywhere near blocking Marchant's development. We've also seen that Kingston is prepared to trust our young players, so if Marchant is fit and in form, I expect him to be first choice.

Roberts has been so much better this season, but he's very expensive and I think Tapuai has a more varied game that will work well in midfield with Smith and Marchant either side of him.

Fair enough I guess,
Earle is the one I like most, but Walker has been scintillating this year so I'm not sure that transfer would be to replace him. I assume Visser only has a couple years left so it would work fantastically as a replacement on that side when he leaves. Earle can also play 15 I think, and I've been less than impressed by Chisholm this year so he could work there.

Fair enough I guess,
Earle is the one I like most, but Walker has been scintillating this year so I'm not sure that transfer would be to replace him. I assume Visser only has a couple years left so it would work fantastically as a replacement on that side when he leaves. Earle can also play 15 I think, and I've been less than impressed by Chisholm this year so he could work there.

I would have thought Earle is replacing Yarde for now. However, it's possible that he's being looked at as a long-term replacement for Visser.

I agree Walker has been excellent this season, although to be honest, he's always been good when given the opportunities. This season he's had more game time to show what he can do.

Ross Chisholm is a useful squad player. He's not good enough to be first choice and never will be, but I think he's been decent this season. A few good tries against Ulster and Wasps too.

Scarlets have done a u-turn on North apparently
Chudley to Bath
Wasps letting Haskell leave to Bristol, Gloucester or Northampton

Josh Lewis Bath => Dragons
https://www.bathrugby.com/news/lewis-to-return-to-wales-at-end-of-season/

I suspect that'll put bath back on the look-out for a 3rd choice FH; he's been decent for us, providing good cover, and appeared happy enough to be 3rd choice, especially as we picked him up from the Welsh Prem. Looking at Bath's FH stocks - we've still got Rory Jennings in the academy at 22, who's just never really looked good enough for this level, so I can't really see him being trusted as 3rd choice FH. Lewis also provided useful cover at IC, so confirming that we need 2 centres incoming.

Maybe Bath will head to their alt-academy and try for "buy 2 get one free" and add TBC to their shopping list (JC and JW)

Last edited:
Bristol or Worcester. We need back-rowers but I wouldn't take Haskell.
Did the DOMinator ever get back to anywhere near the form that earned him in Irish caps for you? I felt as if he wasn't enjoying rugby when he left us being behind a lot of better and plenty of younger players.

Did the DOMinator ever get back to anywhere near the form that earned him in Irish caps for you? I felt as if he wasn't enjoying rugby when he left us being behind a lot of better and plenty of younger players.

This weekend just gone was his first start after a few months of being stood down for concussion, I believe. I believe that, I believe that we, I believe that we will win, I believe that we will win, I believe that we will win.

This weekend just gone was his first start after a few months of being stood down for concussion, I believe. I believe that, I believe that we, I believe that we will win, I believe that we will win, I believe that we will win.
I thought he was just winded? not concussed! I'm sure Geordan told us that whilst yoru man was lying on the floor, winded, with no muscle tension or responsiveness

Against Castres he didn't stand out. Will Evans performed the better of the flankers but no one really got above a 6/10.

From what ive seen of him, he looks half decent but that's not good enough for Tigers really so hopefully over the coming weeks he steps up.

Yep and he played alright.

Fortunately from his POV none of our backrowers have really shined so far so he could easier get a run out at 6/7 on the Reg. trouble is our pack needs balancing.

Latest posts