• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Rebels hooker Declan Moore being rumored to Munster. Would definitely be a step down from McGuigan. Is IQ, but doesn't really seem to be an improvement on any one of our hookers from what little research I've done.

For the sake of Newcastle and my fantasy team, I hope McGuigan isn't off to Munster at this late stage.

McGuigan was rumoured to be going next season...not this one BPM

Gives us another season for Blamire to get motoring and develop the other two young hookers we have.

According to TRP on 5th Sept... we had interest in David Meihuizen but staying at Stormers. Blackett still looking at 2nd row and centre.

The article confirms Bath were close to signing Marcus Smith:
"thought they were sorted with Marcus Smith set to join them from Harlequins. They believed the deal was as good as done. Smith's about-turn, though, left a huge hole in the team."

Quins sacking Gustard to keep Smith might be the best rugby decision in the last ten years.

The article confirms Bath were close to signing Marcus Smith:
"thought they were sorted with Marcus Smith set to join them from Harlequins. They believed the deal was as good as done. Smith's about-turn, though, left a huge hole in the team."

Quins sacking Gustard to keep Smith might be the best rugby decision in the last ten years.
I don't really believe he was ever off tbh, probably more agent talk to push the price up

I don't really believe he was ever off tbh, probably more agent talk to push the price up
Possibly, but it does make it sound like Bath genuinely thought they were in with a shot.
Equally, from all accounts, it was an unhappy camp with Gustard in charge, so it also depends when "negotiations" were happening (and yes, I know they're not allowed before January 1st, but no-one seems to care about that any more). Time-frame wise, that would make sense as well, bearing in mind that most contracts take 6-8 weeks to progress from first serious overtures to signed deal.
Early January, Bath in advanced negotiations with Smith (having been ongoing for a month or two).
20th January, Gustard leaves Quins, fortunes change over night. Presumably Smith halts talks to see how things progress in London.
23rd March, Bath announce the signing of Cipriani.

Time frames are heavily suggestive of Bath and Cipriani starting actual negotiations 0-3 weeks after Gustard left Quins.
Now, it may be that Smith never intended to sign with Bath, and his agents were stringing Bath along to bump his price at home - which is a dirty move TBH, (play it out in the press, but that sort of thing breaks trust between a club and an agent); and timings with Gustard's departure are purely coincidental.
Or it might be that Smith was unhappy under Gustard, and Bath made him a serious, potentially lengthy offer to play alongside a couple of lions and a few England regulars; but that Gustard's departure and the newly-happy home made a difference to him, with loyalty and friendship winning out.

We'll probably never know, with the possible exception of Marcus writing a book in 15 years time.

Nathan Hughes to France
Ojomoh had a chat with Lam therefore he is in talks with Bristol...
Saints looking for an emergency prop

Nathan Hughes to France
Ojomoh had a chat with Lam therefore he is in talks with Bristol...
Saints looking for an emergency prop
Hughes to France doesn't surprise me. He just screams of someone who would thrive over in Clermont, Montpellier or Toulouse.

Ojomoh is interesting, he's a quality centre who needs to start consistently at Bath but unless Brizzle are planning to usurp O'Connor or Semi is off then he wouldn't start surely.

Apparently there are no props/second rows around atm and very thin on the ground. Couldn't be a difficult find depending on if loosehead or tight.

Also stupidest article of the day goes to Ruck for (TOP 5 Saracens could realistically sign post takeover) https://www.ruck.co.uk/five-players-saracens-could-realistically-sign-after-huge-takeover/
- This includes Siya Kolisi, Adam Radwan, Connor Murray, Tadhg Furlong, Alun Wyn Jones... Hold up haven't we heard of big players going to Sarries before, how did that end up.

Finally, was looking at a link of players Wasps tried to sign historically (Siya Kolisi, David Pocock, Luke MacAllister, Leigh Halfpenny but did not realise back in 2008 when Jonny Wilkinson left Newcastle, we tried to sign him but due to more money from Toulon and Cips turning good we backed out).

What's the jist in terms of talent.

Personally I struggle to see the exodus part, I could see it harder to get in players.
But if a player wants to stay I doubt a Agent fee is going to make them change their minds.

Same. It's definitely not going to make any EPS players leave and assumes that the Pro14 and URC clubs have bottomless pits of money, which they most definitely don't.

Big Rumour dropped by Eggchasers that Brizzle are looking at Jordie Barrett as a short term replacement for Semi.

Latest posts