• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Chat about Marchant to Stade Francais pre RWC.

I mean if he isn't getting the recognition he deserves from England, why would he hang about?

Go to France, enjoy the cuisine, lifestyle and weather.

Just noticed he's only 26. England could really have him for the next two world cups.

Well Eddie is only here until the RWC. In a year's time, there will be a new man in charge, so putting himself out of England contention doesn't really make sense.

Being widely reported. Also seen talk that it might be post RWC which would make a little more sense but would still be disappointing.

See I think that makes less sense. He might well get back into Eddie's England squads, but he's up against it.

If it's after the RWC, he'd be leaving at a time when he'd have a very good opportunity to be the new head honcho's first choice 13.

See I think that makes less sense. He might well get back into Eddie's England squads, but he's up against it.

If it's after the RWC, he'd be leaving at a time when he'd have a very good opportunity to be the new head honcho's first choice 13.
Fair point, but no guarantees he would be. And he'll be in what should be peak guaranteed earning years for France. Staying leaves a fair chunk of earnings subject to selectorial whim which he's already been bitten by. Money's only one factor and I can see it either way, but only he knows where his mind's at. Maybe he's only looking at a year or 2.

Either way it's a very odd conversation about someone in peak years, who's seemingly fit and started 5 of the first 6 tests this year.

No guarantees of course, but Eddie Jones seems to be pretty much the only person who can't see that Marchant is the best 13 we have. I'd hope his successor would be more interested.

Sutherland and Kitshoff? thats a serious front row with Herring in the middle.
Only after the 2023 RWC.

TBH I think its a poor signing and I for one- as much as I love Kitshoff and am thankful for his service to both SA and the Stormers- am glad that they are taking him off of our books.

While experience is important it'll make room in both the budget for us and open up the door for newcomers as he is a sure pick so no hungry looseheads will want to sign for us with Kitshoff sure to get the lion's share of game time.

Think Ulster are paying the retirement funds for Stormers players past their prime in both Vermeulen and Kitshoff. Its a free market though so fair play to them if they want to foot the bill for those players. I for one prefer Roos and whichever other schoolboy wunderkind we'll be replacing Kitshoff with post RWC. My hope for SA teams and Stormers in particular is more to retain the players that are actually in their prime like our having signed Willemse for 5 years more. We've lost those players during the last decade and that has hurt us more than the settled stars moving on post their having been Bok stalwarts.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 11.57.49.png

a highly-placed source telling News24 Sport that management is aware of the rumours
Rock solid journalism, haha

Sounds like a slow news day so they've googled who's EQP and made up a rumour/source about it

Multiple clubs being linked with J Willis and Launchbury. i'd imagine the likes of Atkinson, Spink, Crossadale, Koch, McDonald, T Willis, Carr, Barbeary, Robson, Hartley, West, Frost, Oghre etc will not be far behind them.

Honestly its heartbreaking to see it happen. Rumours are that 2-3 other clubs are not far behind us

Honestly I can't see how this doesn't end with us joining the URC in the long term now, even if it is only the "bigger" clubs that jump ship, with those demoted and those less financially stable joining the champ, and eventually applying for membership of the URC (in a similar way to how I understand RL to work with Toronto for example)

In any case, is the URC that much more stable? It certainly seems like the Welsh clubs are very financially challenged and I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar up in Scotland.

In any case, is the URC that much more stable? It certainly seems like the Welsh clubs are very financially challenged and I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar up in Scotland.
Think people get blinded by the South African TV money when BT ponied up some serious cash for the Prem in the latest negotiations - a contract which would need to be binned off (payout from PRL to by out the remaining years?) or renegotiated with the URC/other TV channels to share the viewing rights

Don't think the URC would increase attendance figures in any meaningful way - at least beyond the first season when the novelty has worn off

Honestly I can't see how this doesn't end with us joining the URC in the long term now, even if it is only the "bigger" clubs that jump ship, with those demoted and those less financially stable joining the champ, and eventually applying for membership of the URC (in a similar way to how I understand RL to work with Toronto for example)
Yeah I was wondering if this might all lead to a more fundamental restructure in some way. Much as I love the theory of the Premiership and promotion / relegation etc it's also clear there are massive fault lines.

Not impossible that regions might enter into the conversation again. The real cash cow here is the international game and you can bet your lives that the England hierarchy looks at Leinster etc very enviously.

Back on topic there are definitely several Wasps players that clubs with cap headroom will be falling over themselves for. Wonder if this will persuade Odogwu that he fancies a bit of Italian sun on his back?

Wish there was a way to look up injured players to know where there's gaps,

I saw Randall has a bad knee(?) injury - think I saw he's out for four months? Robson on an injury cover deal would make sense

Yeah, just saw the Randall story. Out for up to 4 months following surgery. Hamstring.

Glaws might also be looking to replace Atkinson who's out for the season with a knee injury.

Latest posts