• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Mike Brown to us next season seems to be hanging around. Personally, whilst i think hes been a class player and thats a position we need to fix, i would say no and give one of our talented kids a go there.
Totally agree. For both yours and his sake, i think it's best he stays. He is a talisman for Quins and his service is unquestionable. Falcons seem to always produce young talented lads or up scale quality youngsters. If anything offer a young talented player whose maybe just outside starting role at club if squad player needed.

From what I'm hearing at Tigers Montoya is 100% coming next season and we are in talks with Taylor indeed in talks but that's as far as we are.
From what I last heard but with covid that's like a month or so old now.

Honestly Mike Brown to Falcons makes sense for me.
Having a player like him next too Radwan who is green but honestly the most electric English winger in the league potentially and will be good for someone like Stephens to learn from.

Would Brown leave Quins, though?
He's still first choice there - do they have someone snapping at his heels?
I know they've got Ashton but he's hardly a spring chicken

I suppose it depends what kind of contracts are on offer - I imagine Newcastle would pay a bit more for him than Quins as they'd want the experience

for a second i thought you meant flanker Matera and thought "ohhh i'm sure Genge would have a few choice words for him" but then realised Montoya haha.

Which Taylor?

I can't see Brown leaving, still starts, no one threatening his position and all his mates for the most part still around. Moreover, a settled family life in the South.

Do we think we will see a lot more internal trading this year? usually we see a lot of Oceanic/South African players come across but can't imagine too many Aussie/NZ players wanting to come if they have families as life is much more settled for them out there in terms of no/lack of COVID issues.

Personally think we will see a lot more academy players come through and become squad players as well as clubs trading internally even with the likes of Irish/Scottish/Welsh players moving to England and vica versa.

Also @Tigs Man - love the look of some of the youngsters Leicester has - Steward/Martin/Henderson (Heyes/White too) were exceptional yesterday, especially Steward who was great under high ball but having watched the likes of Smith, Van Poortvliet and Ilione on Rugby Pass too, if Borthwick can get those guys up to speed at senior level and bring in some wise heads to steer the ship then future looks very bright.

I think we'll see significantly less transfers in general - most players signed new contracts in the lockdown due to wage cuts, and with borders being closed/uncertainty over lockdowns and also financial future in the sport, I think most clubs will stick with what they've got.

I think we'll see significantly less transfers in general - most players signed new contracts in the lockdown due to wage cuts, and with borders being closed/uncertainty over lockdowns and also financial future in the sport, I think most clubs will stick with what they've got.
True. Get some young lads through and build from there. Exeter have done it superbly recently and Tigers in the past.

Clubs will have to be financially savvy and you see that sometimes caps don't buy you quality (Sops vs Umaga/Atkinson)

This, not to mention the 25% cap misplacement for Covid, along with a reduction in the cap.
So a player being paid £200k only has £150k count towards the cap if they stay; but if they move, the whole wage will be inside the cap - I really don't see many domestic transfers; nor do I see many Aussie / Kiwis wanting to come to the UK right now - Saffers may well do though.
Otherwise, I'd expect to see a few English players heading to France where risks are about the same, but they've not just squeezed the cap.

ETA: The domestic transfers I can see would be clubs getting rid, rather than being outbid (and players being ****** off).
I wonder how many clubs renegotiated the contracts as a reflex, and are now coming to terms that the reduced cap may be longer term than the 25% dispensation - and have a couple of years to make serious cuts.

Brown to Falcons seems done apparently.

2 things for me - he's not worth the 350,000 that he was on before - if Newcastle are paying him anywhere near that then it's a mistake.

And if Newcastle are indeed offering.him a coaching hybrid role in the second year that we aren't then I absolutely understand the move, as sad as it will.make me to see browny in another prem clubs shirt

Hes apparently getting no where near what he is currently on.

Looks like a coaching role on its way with us. We have some cracking kids coming through so having him and Toby Flood to guide them could be quite good.

Also anyone got any idea what's happening at Quins....

Laing & Young off.

Brown rumoured leaving and Marler apparently requesting a transfer.

Plus no new contract for Smith, Strange times over there.

Also anyone got any idea what's happening at Quins....

Laing & Young off.

Brown rumoured leaving and Marler apparently requesting a transfer.

Plus no new contract for Smith, Strange times over there.
As in no new contract for Marcus Smith? That would be mental.

Yeah only reason for that is that he's told them he's leaving - do they even have anyone behind him, especially with Lang leaving?

Be interesting to see where he ends up - Bath definitely seem front runners, but I imagine Gloucester will have an eye on him. They'll need a replacement for Cipriani, and while Lloyd Evans is a good player he's not on Smith's level (and you imagine there'll always be the temptation to move to Wales and push for international honours, if his stock grows)

Latest posts