• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Porter moving back to loosehead seems very likely at this point. It all checks out:
  • Farrell has talked about it before
  • Farrell doesn't rate the Irish loosehead options after Healy and Kilcoyne judging off his squad selections and they're 33 and 32 with awful injury records
  • Farrell does rate Tom O'Toole, he hasn't been capped yet but he's consistently been in the squad ahead of where most would have him, he's definitely sees him as a likely candidate for the 18 shirt come the world cup in a world where Porter is playing,
  • Leinster signing a tighthead who's too good to just be a Michael Bent replacement and be third choice holding the fort during league games, which doesn't make much sense unless this is happening
  • Porter just spent a the guts of a season as the de facto first choice for Leinster and Ireland with Furlong out and played very well
Whether or not it's a good idea is another question but one that'll be answered over the next few years assuming it actually happens.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the switch is something Porter has pushed for. No matter how well Porter played he's not going to oust a fully fit Furlong. Probably makes the decision pretty easy for coaches.

We've already got the two tallest players in the game on the books, so it can't be a size pun (I'm still hurting after they promised the biggest signing in our history...and it turned out to be Buckley, cause he was the biggest prop in the game)

Maybe Manu renewal?

Thought I'd check in to Sharks to see what the HUGE news was.

Only to be met by messages that the club was suspending all non urgent comms until after Philip's funeral.

Looked at a couple of other clubs who seem to be carrying on as usual, so feels a bit bizarre. Any insight, Olyy?

Seems to have come down from PRL - the premierships twitter has done the same, and about half the other clubs have gone radio silent too
Guess it was an optional thing and the owners most wanting to get on the new years honours list have decided to go with it

Club said on twitter the announcement will be made this weekend instead, but the rumour sites are all saying it's a 1yr extension for Manu, which is what I expected

I mean with the English Rose at the start either Manu/Curry has extended or you have signed an England International realistically. Seems odd to hype and leave until post 4 nearly?

I See Saracens have made it clear that all their on loan players (bar Singleton at Gloucester) will definitely be returning to them next season.

Wonder how they are still in the cap then? Although I've not watched who they have released.
Singleton, Gray, Kruis, Wigglesworth, Barritt, Figallo, Skelton and Spencer (plus some others, but those are the most known) will add up to a fair chunk of change
Replacements mostly came from academy promotions or championship clubs

Yes they let go quite a few, and they do have some very good academy lads to replace them.
They'll still have a strong side.

Next season Prem will be fascinating...
Exeter, Bristol and Sarries very strong...

A rebuilding Tigers will be prominent, Quins playing some great stuff (lets see who they sign) , Saints have a host of talented kids coming through...Wasps generally strong, Sale are powerful.

Of course they'll all be chasing the powerhouse Falcons ;)

I think we will contest but seems we might be re-thinking our strategy a little bit. We were hugely successful last season with a young squad but Blackett seems to be re-considering some of his squad and coaching staff.

With Costello leaving and sadly Everard and Gleeson linked away (Gleeson with England) , it could be a much changing scene.

Despite our good form the latter half of this year, I do think we could focus on blooding youth next year, not signing that many replacements for our leavers and really blooding the academy boys.

It's hard to tell without a DOR tho

Between salary cap reduction and scrapping relegation for the foreseeable future it's really hard to guess what's going to happen to the make up of sides

I wonder if we might see some sides focusing on building up a strong XV rather than strong squad and solely focus on prem or Europe, not both

Despite our good form the latter half of this year, I do think we could focus on blooding youth next year, not signing that many replacements for our leavers and really blooding the academy boys.

It's hard to tell without a DOR tho
Yep. This is what I'm expecting too.

We do have some real talent in the academy, but it's going to take a while for them to be fully ready for Premiership rugby. I suspect we'll look at it pretty speculatively and might be prepared to take a few pastings while there is no relegation knowing that we'll probably see the benefit of that in 2-3 season's time.

At least we have a slight advantage of being used to working at a lower budget...

I just hope Dean has some faith in the youngsters...more than he has shown over the last few years.

Latest posts