• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I think it's more the contracts for all these players. It all adds up i suppose and will eventually get to the maximum amount.

I will just be surprised if Exeter don't see a small turnover of players soon.... but they have a quality academy of path players ready to take spots i.e. Chapstick/Hinkley/Tuima ready to take on Ewers/Armand spots. Same with Hodge/Cordero etc

@EdBirch for sure you need another 10. If I was Wuss i'd keep Searle and play Smith much like Smith (Quins) did. Give him the senior head of Heinz at 9 and with butler, Lawrence, Venter, Nanai, Van Der Merwe, David, etc outside him could be potent attack.

Reckon we might see Wasps do it with Atkinson as foil to Umaga
I'm not sure when his contract is up to be honest. Might be that he doesn't want to stay

I'm not sure when his contract is up to be honest. Might be that he doesn't want to stay
So i've heard that there is a release clause. He was always a hugely popular figure in the Wasps camp and maybe the option to come back to his friends/family etc might be rewarding. I'm fairly sure he has bought a place in Leamington too.

So i've heard that there is a release clause. He was always a hugely popular figure in the Wasps camp and maybe the option to come back to his friends/family etc might be rewarding. I'm fairly sure he has bought a place in Leamington too.
Ah ok, makes sense

Ah ok, makes sense
Obviously all theoretical at this point. Most likely is that with Sops leaving and us having Umaga/Atkinson at 10 and Crossdale in at 15 with Miller/Minozzi we are well stocked and that Searle makes logical sense as good club figure and squad player.

Despite a report saying we'd missed out on signing him, last week, there's more rumours today that we've signed Nick Schonert

Yep. Pretty much a like-for-like or possibly slight improvement on John?

I think they've been very careful about managing the cap - most of their squad either came up through the academy, or were unfancied players from elsewhere who got their break at Exeter.
When including the fringes of international rugby, 19 isn't an abnormal number for the Prem; and from that list, they've got 2 who would be Lions-quality (Hogg & Gray), who'd be their 2 marquee players; and then only 2 who are regular international starters (Francis and Slade) a couple of benchers (LCD & Hill); followed up by a couple of international discards (Nowell & Cuthbert), and a bunch of international tried-and-failed. So there's not really all that many top-earners there.

56 players is because they don't seperate out their academy from the seniors; realistically it's 40-45 seniors and 11-16 academy.

Exeter are the ultimate "greater than the sum of their parts" club - I really don't look at them and think "how do they afford that squad?" - they've not got regular internationals or lions quality players sitting on the bench behind lions quality starters as Sarries did.
I sort of agree ...

Technically, the Quins squad includes 18 'internationals' but that includes a number of players like Baldwin and Brown whose last caps were a while ago, tier 2 test players like Lasike or Elia and the likes of Will Collier (2 caps) or Stephan Lewies (1 cap).

Exeter are definitely a 'greater than the sum of their parts' club and Baxter deserves a lot of credit for taking unheralded players like O'Flaherty and developing them to the point of being Champions Cup players. However, I think the point will311293 is making is that it's now reaching a point where that's become unsustainable. Players picked up on the cheap won't be cheap anymore and kids who have done well will be moving on to proper senior contracts.

Big thing here will be it's unlikely he get's called up....which means a solid pack through international periods.

Rumours
Schonert has signed for Sale
Worcester are trying to sign Owen Williams
Also Worcester interested in Vailanu
John Dobson in the lead to become Quins head coach
Quins looking at Tommy Allen

I'd be happy with Tommy Allan. He'd be the best back up we've had in a LONG time. He's still getting picked for Italy though which is a worry if Marcus Smith starts getting the England recognition he deserves.

Really don't know anything about Dobson. Uninspiring if true ...

Signings, signings.... where art though oh signings....
You've made more signings for next season than 7 other clubs, and joint with two others :p

What signings are you hoping to see?
I don't think Sopoaga needs to be replaced, as Atkinson is coming through nicely
Hougaard is a step up on Velacott already
I imagine they're hoping Barbeary will replace Taylor

Maybe a lock to replace Rowlands? Probably needed with how often Launch is injured (and then away with England when fit)

You've made more signings for next season than 7 other clubs, and joint with two others :p

What signings are you hoping to see?
I don't think Sopoaga needs to be replaced, as Atkinson is coming through nicely
Hougaard is a step up on Velacott already
I imagine they're hoping Barbeary will replace Taylor

Maybe a lock to replace Rowlands? Probably needed with how often Launch is injured (and then away with England when fit)
Haha i know, but who doesn't love a rumour ;)

I think it would be nice to know what we are doing with some of our outgoings and how we redistribute the funds of Sops. I believe Blackett has some longer term signings he is keen on and has openly said he is looking past this year.

Furlong to, checks notes, Worcester?
Rumours are not good regarding contract negotiations. Someone trying to lowball big time. If he is selected on Lions it will be a huge tug of war. Still expect a new 3 year deal signed in the next few days

Latest posts