• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Really good article, fair play

In transfer rumour news: Sam James to Treviso is in TRP
Would be a good move IMO - I think he's hit his ceiling, realistically
Very talented rugby player but doesn't have the athleticism to be amongst the top centres in the league

Really good article, fair play

In transfer rumour news: Sam James to Treviso is in TRP
Would be a good move IMO - I think he's hit his ceiling, realistically
Very talented rugby player but doesn't have the athleticism to be amongst the top centres in the league
I'd agree he's hit his ceiling, but he's still more than good enough to be a regular starter in the Premiership. Even with the cuts, I'd have thought he'd be a good target for anyone needing a centre. In lots of ways a good, experienced performer who is never going to get a test call-up and can play all season (injury permitting) is gold dust in the Premiership.

On the article, it's genuinely mental if players are being offered £25k!

Prob puts into perspective how tight this cap is.
I think a lot of fans are still in the 1 in and 1 out mind set.
Yep, this new era is an unfortunate necessity as Premiership rugby can't survive with clubs making massive losses.

Even where clubs are able to bring in replacements now they're not always like for like. Apparently Judge is the replacement for Koch for example. No disrespect to Judge, but he's nowhere near Koch's level.

It's often 2 out 1 in now too. If I look closer to home with Quins, Symons has retired and Tizard is off to Saracens and we've only signed Inre Herbst as a replacement. I doubt his salary is equivalent to both of theirs combined, but it is what it is. I doubt we'll replace Huw Jones either. Ultimately, if you want to keep your stars, you have to balance that out elsewhere.

Having a successful academy is going to be absolutely crucial over the next few years and clubs that have been reliant on buying in talent are really going to feel it.

I'd agree he's hit his ceiling, but he's still more than good enough to be a regular starter in the Premiership. Even with the cuts, I'd have thought he'd be a good target for anyone needing a centre. In lots of ways a good, experienced performer who is never going to get a test call-up and can play all season (injury permitting) is gold dust in the Premiership.
All good points - I think a change of scenery might do him some good, his form hasn't been great the last season or so, though could easily be tied into our poor backs play in general

I wouldn't be surprised if it was linked to the Mail article, thinking about it - when he signed his last contract there was more money flying about, we were trying to retain as many of our academy guys as possible, and he was on the fringes of an international call up (had just toured Argentina with England) - he probably had a pretty reasonable contract
Could be looking at a fair paycut when it's up for renewal

Very good point was made on the Wasps forum about this and the slide of rugby towards the same standings as county cricket. If you are a top player, then you are taken care of and life is good but if you are fighting for a contract every year, it's going to lead to some nervous conversations.

I'd hope maybe some French, Italian, Japanese and maybe American clubs might snap a few up. Would be a major shift for a number of those 70 but hard times means big decisions. Imagine this is also why Ealing will flourish, they have the pick of the players they want.

I don't think there's a lot of money in rugby in America (unless you're a marquee name like Giteau etc.) - apparently they have a $500k salary cap

Japanese sides would be their best bet (even their 2nd tier has some proper cash - like the old days of ProD2) but then there are caps on foreign players in the league,
It's one thing signing someone like Harry Mallinder on a one off to bring some experience to a green side - it's another having 20 agents knocking down your door begging to sign their clients

On the article, it's genuinely mental if players are being offered £25k!

Yep, this new era is an unfortunate necessity as Premiership rugby can't survive with clubs making massive losses.

Even where clubs are able to bring in replacements now they're not always like for like. Apparently Judge is the replacement for Koch for example. No disrespect to Judge, but he's nowhere near Koch's level.

It's often 2 out 1 in now too. If I look closer to home with Quins, Symons has retired and Tizard is off to Saracens and we've only signed Inre Herbst as a replacement. I doubt his salary is equivalent to both of theirs combined, but it is what it is. I doubt we'll replace Huw Jones either. Ultimately, if you want to keep your stars, you have to balance that out elsewhere.

Having a successful academy is going to be absolutely crucial over the next few years and clubs that have been reliant on buying in talent are really going to feel it.
Fortunately the Falcons have a great academy and we have even more being promoted this summer in to the first team squad. We consistently have high levels of representatives in the England youth age groups.

One area where the falcons are actually ahead of most of the other teams in the league...but thats due to necessity of having a VERY low budget.

We just need to improve the development from there onwards...and make some big changes tactically on the pitch. We shall see how it changes with Dean moving on.

Him and Cockerill in the same coaching team. Wouldnt lack for motivation or aggression lol

Latest posts