• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

The way I look at it,hypothetically if somebody is offering you €200000 to do a job in one place or €300000 to do the same job somewhere else, what would you choose? I wouldn't begrudge Fitzgerald a big pay day.

Depends on the other details of the job and the rest of my motivation - in terms of winning things and more Ireland caps/a second Lions tour, it would appear to be a poor move. He might find his potential endorsement earnings dip as well. Not knocking him if he wants to move, but its not as simple as more money for most (might be for him).

Mindyou, even I've twigged that virtually every Irish player is linked with a move abroad when their contract expires, so...

Other rumours I've heard
One Ian Whitten free to a good home
Cipriani to Leicester

Fitzgerald is in the same boat as TOL though. They're not regular starters for Ireland anymore so not needed. There are plenty of players in their positions in the provinces so the law of supply and demand comes into effect. Leinster don't need to offer Fitzgerald much because they have Dave Kearney, Conway, Fionn Carr, Nacewa, Hudson and a few other academy players and possibly Horgan will be back next season. The likes of BOD, POC, Sexton and ROG are the top players in Ireland will no replacements so they naturally will be the ones getting offered the biggest contracts on top of their sponsorships etc.

The French clubs are extremely wealthy so some of the top players will be lost by every country to the Top 14. Theres no way Irish teams can afford to keep all the players at home. As well as the financial decision, going to France might appeal to players who would like to experience a different culture for a few years.

Fitzgerald is in the same boat as TOL though. They're not regular starters for Ireland anymore so not needed. There are plenty of players in their positions in the provinces so the law of supply and demand comes into effect. Leinster don't need to offer Fitzgerald much because they have Dave Kearney, Conway, Fionn Carr, Nacewa, Hudson and a few other academy players and possibly Horgan will be back next season. The likes of BOD, POC, Sexton and ROG are the top players in Ireland will no replacements so they naturally will be the ones getting offered the biggest contracts on top of their sponsorships etc.

The French clubs are extremely wealthy so some of the top players will be lost by every country to the Top 14. Theres no way Irish teams can afford to keep all the players at home. As well as the financial decision, going to France might appeal to players who would like to experience a different culture for a few years.

I disagree with a lot of this post. While perhaps Kidney doesn't seem it, Fitzgerald was probably the form Irish winger going into this 6 nations and should have been starting ahead of Earls and Bowe. He's a vital player for Leinster too because he's a massive step up in quality from Conway, Carr, Kearney jnr, etc. It's also far from certain that Shaggy will be back next season.

You have to remember that this is a British and Irish Lion were talking about here, an absolute class act. He went through a tough time in 2011, but since being left out of the world cup squad he's been one of the form players in the country. Personally I still see him as a 12 in the long run and a major solution to Ireland's centre problem (he's in a different league to McFadden, for all Fergus has come on in the last 18 months). With that in mind I don't think we can afford to lose him.

Basically it come down to if Firzgearld only gets a provincial contract that is maybe 100k max opposed to France hell get 250k minimum a new lifestyle and new rugby experience

Basically it come down to if Firzgearld only gets a provincial contract that is maybe 100k max opposed to France hell get 250k minimum a new lifestyle and new rugby experience

It's typical of the IRFU not to offer Fitzgerald a contract, yet give ones to DOC and Paddy Wallace. Fitzgerald has 8 years left in the Ireland squad, we need to keep him around, especially at a time when we're losing our two most experience backs. He's an asset, one of our finest players.

Worcester have signed Paul Hodgson, with Shaun Perry already there, they have arguably England's worst and most limited two scrum halves of recent times

Both Ex-Bristol....NOT related :lol:

Actually Perry was very good for us. Hodgson wasnt so much

I am amused by the Worcs team, they have, in the past, gone for big name singings and they do finally have some local quality but they don't half sign some rubbish... Hodgson, really!?

As for this Fitzgerald malark it's ridiculous how he gets left out, he's a brilliant player who deserves to be in there over half the backs IMHO. Then again the IRFU/Kidney's decision making processes aren't always the most understandable.

Not a player rumour but a coaching one, changes coming up at Bath SIM to a part time role rumours of Andy Robinson's return to the Rec (he's best mates with Bruce Craig and our chairman) which will probably coincide with Scotland winning the wooden spoon. Thursday will probably be the day that the beans are spilt in the Bath Chronicle.... it's about time something changed and it sounds like all is not well with Bath at all.

Oh it is hard being a worcester fan however i can't fault some of our siginings i mean last season we signed chris jones who has been our quality player this season and shaun Perry has been playing well with us at times so hopefully hodgson will do the same i mean hes not a hopeless player and has experience

In fairness Perry hasn't been playing too badly and you do seem to be quite good at picking up some of the off the radar players that do pretty well... It's just a shame they couldn't have put the Hodgson pot towards keeping Miles.

It's typical of the IRFU not to offer Fitzgerald a contract, yet give ones to DOC and Paddy Wallace. Fitzgerald has 8 years left in the Ireland squad, we need to keep him around, especially at a time when we're losing our two most experience backs. He's an asset, one of our finest players.
Have to agree it is a strange policy on how we give out IRFU contracts and as a leading Munster player said during last week it must be more players over 28 as opposed to under that get these

Losing miles and marcel have been heartbreaking but miles needs to move on if he wants to be an international player worcester seem to be unable to pass to the wings enough anyways and so he doesn't get much ball so i can understand why he would move

Paul James and Huw Bennett have not been offered new contracts by the ospreys so they will be looking for new clubs.

Well only problem is there is only so many IRFU contracts to go around.

True, but the Leinster coffers are in a good state at the moment. We'll pack out the Aviva at least 3 times this season and general attendance has been okay, as well as performing strongly with regards to merchandise. We could offer Luke a fairly substantial contract I'd wager.

Well only problem is there is only so many IRFU contracts to go around.

I know and it's ridiculous some who are honestly past it get them. Says in the article it's likely Nacewa will leave which would be horrible losing both would be unacceptable. He's a player who can make something happen and is very solid in defense the type of player every team wants.

I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that Guy Easterby has said that they are going into talks with the IRFU to keep Nacewa and I think they should get him to stay because ,first of all he won't want to go as he seems very happy here and has had three children born in Ireland and he is probably the fan favorite certainly in the top three favorite players among the fans.

I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that Guy Easterby has said that they are going into talks with the IRFU to keep Nacewa and I think they should get him to stay because ,first of all he won't want to go as he seems very happy here and has had three children born in Ireland and he is probably the fan favorite certainly in the top three favorite players among the fans.

Tis also in the article. He wants to retire in Ireland as well which is a plus.

Latest posts