• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Wyles now set to retire at the end of the season, with Earle leaving and Lewington replacing him, any rumours on who replaces Wyles?

No one. You've gotta try and pay for the inflated wages of recent renewals somehow!

Why would Sale sell him?

When is Beaumont out of contract? Bet him and Eddie regret moving to lock now IMO.
Probably one of those things where if the player doesn't want to be there why would you force him to?
The Sale conveyor belt keeps on turning.
Beaumont still has a year on his (signed a three year deal same time as Haley) - would love to see him back at 8, but with Strauss one of our top earners, Moore coming through and our shortage of locks it's not going to happen.

We're gonna have a distinctly non-Sale feel about the side next season, already feels a bit weird having so many foreign players in the side atm.

He was never going to be an international 8. Made sense to say that he needed to be a lock if he wanted to play for England.

He was never going to be an international 8. Made sense to say that he needed to be a lock if he wanted to play for England.
He's never, ever, going to be an international lock though.
He's just not that good there. I'd rate him maybe 3rd best lock at Sale (and we don't have amazing locks). His best position is 8, comfortably. Maybe he won't play there internationally but when you look at the logjam at 2nd row, he's probably got a better shot at 8 considering how injury prone the England 8s are and how good Beaumont has played there in the past.
I mean England are going to have to leave one of Lawes, Kruis, Launchbury, Itoje out of the first choice 23 - Beaumont isn't on the same level as any of those.
If he gets his form back and performs at 8 consistently it's better to be constantly knocking on the door of selection than be lost in the midst of average EQP locks in the prem.

Probably one of those things where if the player doesn't want to be there why would you force him to?
The Sale conveyor belt keeps on turning.
Beaumont still has a year on his (signed a three year deal same time as Haley) - would love to see him back at 8, but with Strauss one of our top earners, Moore coming through and our shortage of locks it's not going to happen.

We're gonna have a distinctly non-Sale feel about the side next season, already feels a bit weird having so many foreign players in the side atm.

Who have Sale signed to make them 'non-Sale'? I know RJVR is a possibility, but apart from that, I got the impression that there would be more of the young guys like Moore coming through in to the side.

Perhaps next season is too soon, but in a couple of years, they could have a good few more of their academy prospects in the first team squad.

Who have Sale signed to make them 'non-Sale'? I know RJVR is a possibility, but apart from that, I got the impression that there would be more of the young guys like Moore coming through in to the side.

Perhaps next season is too soon, but in a couple of years, they could have a good few more of their academy prospects in the first team squad.

We're in the market for a loosehead and a lock, so that's Flynn and Nott out of contention,
Looking for a hooker so that's Jones gone,
Already have no starting halfbacks or wings from Sale, JOC is probably first choice 15 atm (definitely will if Haley leaves)
Jono Ross and Strauss are starters,
If Rohan comes back (which is apparently unlikely, Glaws apparently first choice now) then that's Jennings/James out

We always used to have most of our team as academy grads, think our first choice going forwards will have maybe 5?
I know it's a professional sport and all that, but it's a shame to see.

We're in the market for a loosehead and a lock, so that's Flynn and Nott out of contention,
Looking for a hooker so that's Jones gone,
Already have no starting halfbacks or wings from Sale, JOC is probably first choice 15 atm (definitely will if Haley leaves)
Jono Ross and Strauss are starters,
If Rohan comes back (which is apparently unlikely, Glaws apparently first choice now) then that's Jennings/James out

We always used to have most of our team as academy grads, think our first choice going forwards will have maybe 5?
I know it's a professional sport and all that, but it's a shame to see.

Fair enough. However, I think at least a certain percentage of Diamond's signings are intended to buy time for their long term replacements to come through from the academy. Moore, Redpath, Wilkinson and Luke James are all very highly rated but are all too young to realistically be expected to be in the first team squad right now. In a season or two, that won't be an issue which coincides quite nicely with the end of contracts for players like Strauss.

Flynn and Jones are decent players, but I can totally understand why Diamond sees an opportunity to improve on both.

Nott is a weird one - he looked a top prospect for the U20s but I can only conclude that he hasn't made enough of an impression in training to get any real run in the side, which is strange considering how light Sale are at lock.

The Curry twins show that Diamond is prepared to put his faith in young players if they're good enough, but Nott still can't break in to the side which makes me wonder why. I dare say you know better than me.

As a Quins fan, I can totally relate to why you would want the academy to be the cornerstone of your squad, but at the same time I'd love us to be making signings of the calibre Sale have recently.

It's disappointing that Nott's been used almost exclusively as a lock; I've always thought of him as being much more of a 6 and I think he'd have much more success at gaining recognition in the back row.