• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

A couple of interesting ones in there. Is Willison leaving because of injury issues? I seem to recall it being a 2 or 3 year deal. He's a very good Premiership centre for somebody - I could see his offloading game suiting Bristol or Wasps well.

Vuna and van Rooyen will probably interest a few clubs too.

A couple of interesting ones in there. Is Willison leaving because of injury issues? I seem to recall it being a 2 or 3 year deal. He's a very good Premiership centre for somebody - I could see his offloading game suiting Bristol or Wasps well.

Vuna and van Rooyen will probably interest a few clubs too.
I think it's a typo. First I've heard that Jackson Willison is leaving, but we do know that Jack Wilson is off.

Connacht to announce three new signings, two Irish players and one NIQ. Decent bet that one is Mick Kearney given that he's leaving Leinster but the destination hasn't been announced yet. Johnstone could be another.

Conan O'Donnell is leaving Connacht and joining the Sunwolves until the end of the season according to Ruaidhrí O'Connor in the Irish Independent.

He looked an excellent prospect at underage level, playing 2 years at Ireland u20 level. Hope it goes well for him. Can play either prop position.

There goes the moral high ground anyway.
In all seriousness though if Casey doesn't get the right game time next year he's right to move. A move now into an uncertain situation is premature though. Van Graan says he's a huge fan as well and he was blooded against Connacht. If he's behind the likes of McCarthy in the pecking order next year it's honestly a horrible precadent. With his talent there's an honest argument he could be Munster's #2 by the end of next year if he's as good as we hope. Cronin is decent I think but won't be top shelf given his age, some game limitations and how late he got to the pro game sadly, McCarthy is an altogether average player we probably shouldn't have signed (for fear of this very thing disenfranchising a 19 year old) and we will be losing Alby.

Nail on head.

Casey is very talented. I could see him becoming disillusioned with Munster signing Nick McCarthy and Alby Mathewson to come in ahead of him. Add to that Leinster have shown a willingness to pick Hugh O'Sullivan in plenty of games this year and Paddy Patterson has also seen game time. There's no argument about it, Leinster are more willing to give youngsters a shot.

I believe this is a shot back from Leinster primarily. Target Leinster players if you want but it won't all be one way. With Fergus McFadden getting on, Rob Kearney rumoured to be on the move and Dave Kearney turning 30 shortly, maybe Sean French fancies battling it out with Adam Byrne for the right wing spot.

Someone on boards saying Cullen offered a senior contract during the 6N and VG turned up that day with a 2 year senior contract on his doorstep which Casey signed. No idea if there's any truth to it but a lovely story nonetheless.

I means it checks out. Can't be bitter about Leinster offering good players a shot. It's on us to guarantee a better medium term future at our club for these guys or we will certainly lose a few. A guy of Casey's age going would be a bit unprecedented, but spend a few years sitting behind limited players and yeah I can see it happening. It shouldn't for a guy of his ability, but it could. I personally think he will be given a very good shot next year, but it may not be true for several other guys at any province.

Use them or lose them.

It's not the first time an academy level player gets bumped up due to internet from elsewhere. Luke fitz and paddy butler off the top of my head.

He's shanning royalty. I'd be flabbergasted If he left without trying at least one season.

Jvg has ruthlessly culled a huge chunk of the squad..... Duncan rom Keats doc2 hart etc are all exiting so there certainly is available gametime. No point in Munster putting all their eggs in one basket....If Casey is good enough he'll shoot ahead of Mccarthy and Cronin. This time next year I'd be highly disappointed if a large number of the promising young chaps haven't had significant gametime.

The Johnson rumour is interesting but he's at a stage where he needs to be playing and his performances to date won't push him ahead of jj or Tyler.

Lads to put it nicely. Leinster try to slate provinces poaching their guys yet go and do same.no issue with it but for some they can quiten down on the hypocritical approach as even Leinster do it.
Now on Casey. A top top 9 in making. JVG didn't offer him a deal based on Leinster as he rejected a senior deal from Leinster and signed for Munster.
Injuries happen in rugby. Alby is off after RWC, Conor will be on a sabbatical after RWC. Even rumoured to be in negotiations with IRFU for 5 months away from rugby. So between himself, Nick and Neil I'd expect plenty of opportunities. And it will only be those 3 plus Murray.

Snoop on a few like French and Wren. They are already happy with what they have on table and you will see JVG shape this squad a bit. Also on Bill J. Healy has been on fire last few weeks here, add in JJ form and Tyler and Joey it may be a case that coaches view him as not good enough. Although if Connacht offer him better deal equally he should take it as he won't pass Joey in next 12 months really

Not expected at all but would get it from Casey's perspective. Munster's track record of giving young players a shot is much worse than Leinster's. Look at Johnstone, obviously injuries have played a big part in that but even still when your competition is Keatley, JJ and Bleyendaal (Joey coming in this year changes it somewhat) and you get as little as he has it's hardly going to encourage the next star U20 halfback coming through the ranks at Munster. Couple that with Alby Mathewson having his deal constantly being extended and Nick McCarthy being brought in and then you see a team down the road where a 21 year old is set to be on the bench in the European final.

I do definitely think that he'd be better off staying for a year and seeing how it goes for him though.

Not expected at all but would get it from Casey's perspective. Munster's track record of giving young players a shot is much worse than Leinster's. Look at Johnstone, obviously injuries have played a big part in that but even still when your competition is Keatley, JJ and Bleyendaal (Joey coming in this year changes it somewhat) and you get as little as he has it's hardly going to encourage the next star U20 halfback coming through the ranks at Munster. Couple that with Alby Mathewson having his deal constantly being extended and Nick McCarthy being brought in and then you see a team down the road where a 21 year old is set to be on the bench in the European final.

I do definitely think that he'd be better off staying for a year and seeing how it goes for him though.
As you can see JVG showing he may get a bit ruthless. On the 9 issue. Casey is away until Sept as was pre agreed. This may change but Munster only had Cronin and McCarthy so Alby is kind of a no brainer.

Bill's injury record hampered him much more than you're making out. He has never had more than 9 weeks straight without an injury. Factor in building match fitness and form and it adds in to a tricky scenario

From the Irish Times, Bill Johnston from Munster to Ulster. He has a great shot at competing with Billy Burns as starting flyhalf.

Any prem clubs going in for Cameron Kelemeti from the Falcon's carcass?

Championship could do him good, but he's quality.

Latest posts