• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

A Leinster backrow to another province has been doing the rounds, like it does every year.

Adam Byrne is sad but unsurprising, he's playing AIL most weeks at the moment, when you consider he'd have probably started a European final last season if he hadn't gotten injured it's a big fall off for him this year where he's nowhere near the Leinster team. He is the definition of a confidence player though so no real surprise.

Fissler reckons Ashton to Quins
Guess that big house Sarries bought him does need someone living in it (plus he's started doing a lot of media work so maybe wants to he closer to London?)

Rumours that we've signed Sam Hill

Makes sense as a backup to Rohan, but they're injured as much as each other so the likelihood of their injuries not overlapping seems slim.

South Africa had a deadline day last night as a result of the Covid 19 budget cuts. Any player in the country could get out of their contract until last night no strings attached, and their home union or club was not even allowed to make a counter offer.

It turned out well with the best players staying but many teams are now losing some quality players

Stormers
Cobus Wiese > Sale Sharks
Jean luc du Plessis > Japan

Sharks
Tyler Paul > Japan (good riddance we don't need players like this that informs their franchise on transfer deadline day on midnight that they are leaving. I regret every minute the Sharks gave him to develop.

Mapimpi and Am was almost lured away, they initially rejected offers and then received substantially better counter offers one from Japan one from Europe, they stayed according to the Sharks Ceo Eduart Coetzee as committed to building a dynasty at the Sharks.

Stormers are also losing Dillyn Leyds

Andre Esterhuizen (best center in Super rugby this year) > Harlequins

Bulls
Johhny Kotze > Blue sharks Japan

Japan has been active

Sounding like Jonny Williams is off to Scarlets.

12. Williams
13. Thompkins

lol

I don't feel Thompkins is a loss well not as much as people made him out to be in the media, 1 great game against Italy and it was woe is me. I'm quite hopeful Marchant and Lawreance will be better than him and Dingwall at least on par.
But Williams might hurt if he can stay fit.

Sounding like Jonny Williams is off to Scarlets.

12. Williams
13. Thompkins

lol

I don't feel Thompkins is a loss well not as much as people made him out to be in the media, 1 great game against Italy and it was woe is me. I'm quite hopeful Marchant and Lawreance will be better than him and Dingwall at least on par.
But Williams might hurt if he can stay fit.
Is he qualified for Wales?

Unless Green is the replacement for Gabs?

I'd be sorry to see him go - especially to a very unremarkable side but money talks I guess.

Unless Green is the replacement for Gabs?

I'd be sorry to see him go - especially to a very unremarkable side but money talks I guess.
The French are reporting we tried to reduce Ibitoye and herron salary, herron accepted and Ibitoye refused which ended in him terminating contract.

Gussy has name checked Ibitoye since we signed green I believe doubt that's it

Green will replace brown who I expect will either retire or go abroad after next year

Yeah - just speculating. I really hope Ibitoye is not leaving.

If it's true, at don't see how a move to Agen furthers his career? It certainly won't help any England ambitions in the short-medium term.

I can already see the media clamour to pick him under exceptional circumstances if he has a few good games.

I appreciate careers are short and money is important, but I guess I have an over-romanticised view that it should be secondary to on-field ambition. Joining a mid-tier (possibly a generous description) club in France tells me Ibitoye doesn't want to win trophies* and doesn't back himself to break in to the England squad.

*To clarify, I don't think Quins are on the verge of being a trophy winning side, but I do think we're closer to that than Agen.

Maybe it is purely down to money?
With COVID and the salary cap reductions, renewals won't be what they could be and if he was anticipating a big pay boost after cementing himself as a first team player last season, maybe he thinks a couple of years in France on more money then coming back to England with an eye on the international game is the best thing for him atm?

Latest posts