• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I really doubt they will be going to a prem club if they leave.
It will be hard explaining to your squad how they have had to take pay cuts whilst signing a International Prop, 10 or Centre.
Gloucester are struggling money wise despite "offloading a few" also. (Do you really think Skivington was signed because he was the best around? or the best they could afford?)

Bit of both - clubs asked players to take a 25% paycut for the remainder of this season due to the Rona, and then when it was announced that the salary cap will be reduced then (most? all?) clubs asked their players to have reduced wages for the remainders of their contracts.

I think part of it is the clubs trying to balance wages vs takings. Rugby wages have been inflating far more than the sport can sustain, due to sugar daddies and Top 14 sides - this is a good opportunity for the owners to, collectively, redress that. Hence Bristol, with the richest sugar daddy, being the only club opposed to the reduced cap.

Ok, that's fair enough. If it was just the Rona and they'd banded together to do this I'd be calling them absolute scum. Losing a quarter of your salary because of what must seem like an arbitrary cap as a player is reason to chase a bigger contract though.

Apparently Manu hasn't signed.

Times suggesting that the Tigers board had been telling players that they were either "in or out". Not sticking to that would create all kinds of issues with other players, so I guess his Tigers career is over. Can't see any other Prem teams taking him on so could quite possibly be the end of his England career too.

Do you think a team might sign him as a marquee player and therefore outside of Salary Cap? I don't know who teams marquee players are but there must be a way to find out?

Can't be a marquee player due to being from another prem club.

Ah, fair enough. Shows that i don't know a lot about the marquee player situation. Couldn't even tell you who Worcester's are, though i would hazard a guess Hougaard is one.

Ah, fair enough. Shows that i don't know a lot about the marquee player situation. Couldn't even tell you who Worcester's are, though i would hazard a guess Hougaard is one.
Nanai maybe? He did sign a new contract when they changed the cap tho which would suggest he wasn't

I'm not too good on the marquee rules. In theory, if Bristol (for example) wanted to sign Manu but didn't have the cap space, but did have 1 marquee spot left, would they be able to turn one of their high paid players who's currently inside the cap into a marquee player to free up the space for Manu inside the cap?

I'm not too good on the marquee rules. In theory, if Bristol (for example) wanted to sign Manu but didn't have the cap space, but did have 1 marquee spot left, would they be able to turn one of their high paid players who's currently inside the cap into a marquee player to free up the space for Manu inside the cap?
Yes
Consequently though, no club has a marquee spot unaccounted for - they'd simply have the best paid, eligible player be the marquee; and that decision doesn't have to be firmly made until the end of the season (I think they have to indicate their intention at the beginning of the season; but only confirm when they submit their accounts).

Yes
Consequently though, no club has a marquee spot unaccounted for - they'd simply have the best paid, eligible player be the marquee; and that decision doesn't have to be firmly made until the end of the season (I think they have to indicate their intention at the beginning of the season; but only confirm when they submit their accounts).
Is there rules on who can and cant be a marquee player?

Is there rules on who can and cant be a marquee player?
Lots
https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.n...1/28180024/Salary-Cap-Regulations-2019-20.pdf

Pages 13 & 14; point 3.3

Looks like I was wrong about timings though - salary is excluded from the date that the player is nominated - so the earlier the better.
I was under the impression that you could change who is nominated (I'm sure that was discovered when [Redacted] buggered off after 0 minutes for Bath) - but either I was wrong; it was a loophole that was closed; or it's a loophole that's still open, as a loophole, rather than a named exemption.

Presumably, if you do switch, then the original player's salary is exempted until the date of change, and the new player's salary is exempted from the date of change.

Last edited:

Latest posts