TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Discussion in 'The Clubhouse Bar' started by big ginger 8, Oct 20, 2018.

1. big ginger 8

big ginger 8 Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Couldn't find the old gym thread and felt like starting a new one. What are people running?

Currently have a typical set up of two pitches sessions and a match at the weekend. Have one team gym session and there's another one we can do by ourselves but I tend to just use it for assistance exercises and am instead doing the 5/3/1 in season progamme two days of the week (https://www.t-nation.com/training/531-and-athletes) basically ending up with something 6 days a week.

Started this because Brian Alsruhe released a new programme:

Really excited to run it in the off-season, looks absolutely brutal but fun as well.

Nabbed a spreadsheet off of reddit if anyone wants a clearer idea of it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XeFilaQYw2lgqmeNS3-HndwY5F8i3aB-USI9MrayVgU/edit?usp=sharing (if you make a copy of it you'll then be able to edit that and input your own maxes)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

I lift about 4 times a week, depending on how much sleep I get (I go before work, so get up at 5am, which doesn't happen if I can't sleep until 3 am or whatever) - sometimes I'll go 5 if I'm feeling it. Have some back and knee issues so listen to how my body reacts to training a lot more these days, rather than just powering through like I used to.

Pretty generic kinda routine, days are built around the main lifts for low reps, and accessories with high reps.
    Squat day, Bench day, Deadlift day, Overhead press day.

Gym just got an assault bike so that's making cardio sessions more......interesting.

On the lifting front: It's crazy how weak pro rugby players used to be in the amateur/early pro era. Will Greenwood posts a lot about his workouts on instagram, and recently said he's hit a lifetime PR on overhead press with 60kg, deadlift 150kg and back squat (nowhere near real depth) at 110kg. I doubt you'd find many academy players lifting that light, these days.

4. big ginger 8

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Yeah that's shocking, I remember him saying Maggie Alphonsi had a bigger bench than him. While she probably has a bigger bench than a lot of people Greenwood's a fairly big lad who should move a lot more weight.

Of course now you have the likes of Porter and Healy who reportedly squat 300kg for reps.

5. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

2 pitch sessions, match, 2 gym sessions and a recovery session is what I aim for. The recovery session is often neglected for a hangover day.

Current program has no deadlifts so I'm happy af!

6. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

• Like Like x 1
  7. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

The only thing I'm lifting at the moment is my twins. Both weighing 12kg's at the moment and doing about 2000 reps per day consisting of:

Deadlifts
    Bicep Curls
    Squats
    Tricep Curls
    Crawls

• Like Like x 1
  8. ragerancher

ragerancher Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Maggie Alphonsi is pretty insane though...

[​IMG]

9. big ginger 8

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

She is, definitely pretty insane but Greenwood has like 30 kg on her which is huge for bench. Her bench was also like 100kg which should be achievable for any guy above 80kg within the first year of training. Basically the only woman lighter than him (so excluding someone like Valerie Adams) who could be accepted as benching more than him is Jen Thompson.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!