• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Was also curious to know if others have used vegan pea protein and if it's as effective as whey. Guess there's no whey of knowing until you've tried both.
The biological value of pea protein is significantly lower than whey, so ingesting the same amount, I would expect worse results.

It sounds to me like you've created an experiment to test for two things at once. i.e. does whey cause digestive problems for you and do the additives in flavoured powders cause you digestive problems? If the pea protein solves the problem, I would definitely try an unflavoured whey powder to see if it was the additives causing the problem, not the whey.

More intolerance related I'd say. Whey seems to make my digestive system play up (I won't go into the details) and thought I'd give the pea protein a try. It wasn't expensive at all (£40 for 5kg) and I'll see if there is any difference once I've gone through it all.
So couple of things to try, I take a lactase tablet when I have a shake and I digest it fine, also if you buy whey isolate (it's more expensive) that also has no lactase and seems to be digested quite easily by people.
Then you also have things like beef protein powder etc

For me I have a lactose and other intolerances (including an Eddie Jones one it seems) and I manage this by taking a lactase tablet when ingesting dairy and also watching what I eat.

Hopefully this helps, wish I had figured the above our years ago.

I don't do great on full dairy as I get older (gone are the days of two scoops and a pint of milk, from my uni days)

The MyProtein clear protein shakes go down a treat, though - had no issues at all and taste great, they also do a vegan (pea) protein one
Pricier than standard bulk buy powders, though

Has anyone tried vegan protein powder without any additives? I just bought pea protein isolate powder and it tastes bland as hell (unless I add a banana) but is way more natural and has less additives. I have always bought flavoured whey protein from amazon but most of them are rammed full of artificial sweeteners etc. and let's just say my digestive system didn't always agree with it.
yeah I bought 20kg of pea protein powder once. It tastes like **** if you don't make a smoothie out of it. Try agave or maple syrup with peanut butter and a fruit. The standard formula is binder, sweetener, fruit, and protein powder.

I don't do great on full dairy as I get older (gone are the days of two scoops and a pint of milk, from my uni days)

The MyProtein clear protein shakes go down a treat, though - had no issues at all and taste great, they also do a vegan (pea) protein one
Pricier than standard bulk buy powders, though
Aldi lactose free milk was a game changer for me. 19g protein per pint and tastes amazing! Not pricy either.

On the powder front, I've stopped using Myprotein after their massive price rise.

Been tempted to join a dance class as a fitness thing.
Value seemed pretty good for a 6 week beginner course thing.

Also starting back on the yoga stuff.

Been tempted to join a dance class as a fitness thing.
Value seemed pretty good for a 6 week beginner course thing.
That's an excellent idea, generally a good skill to be competent in.

Decided to go for one last season in rugby so I want to do it right. Currently about 5kg heavier than I'd like to be after a loose few months. A lot of lifting, interval running and eating clean before September, playing a lot of golf too which encourages me to stay off the booze.

That's an excellent idea, generally a good skill to be competent in.

Decided to go for one last season in rugby so I want to do it right. Currently about 5kg heavier than I'd like to be after a loose few months. A lot of lifting, interval running and eating clean before September, playing a lot of golf too which encourages me to stay off the booze.

Yeh my line of thought is generally I struggle with staying motivate to run for cardio and it's more like a social fitness thing rather than just pure fitness like my other stuff I do.

Also who doesn't like being able to pop a move at a wedding lol

Yeh my line of thought is generally I struggle with staying motivate to run for cardio and it's more like a social fitness thing rather than just pure fitness like my other stuff I do.

Also who doesn't like being able to pop a move at a wedding lol
What kind of dancing? I did ball room and Latin with the mrs for a few years (before we had kids) and it's great. Good skill to be able to wizz a lady round the dance floor.

As far as fitness I'm currently on my 6 week cut. Down from 106kg to 104kg. Want to get to 102.5kg which means from a year ago I've added 2.5kg of muscle from last year at the same body fat.

Think that's quite good in a few when I had quite a bit lay off in the middle due to an operation.

Just beeen to my local Aldi only just discovered there protein puddings and granola Yoghurts 20g protein in each and both bloody nice.

Doesn't work out as cheaper than decent protein powder but add variety in the old diet at least and both easy on the calories

Just beeen to my local Aldi only just discovered there protein puddings and granola Yoghurts 20g protein in each and both bloody nice.

Doesn't work out as cheaper than decent protein powder but add variety in the old diet at least and both easy on the calories
Found them yesterday following "Protein bor" guys recommendation. They are delicious

Memes are cyclical, and with insta/tiktok making it really easy to share short clips his content has been a mainstay of a number of lifting meme pages

I'm all in on the grizzly hype train though
Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 16.53.28.png

Think he missed his calling to push the scrum for Scotland. What a beast though 6 foot 8 and 190Kgs.
There's quite a few strongmen with a rugby background. Terry Hollands and Adam Bishop played for Quins (the latter on the wing!), going back a bit, I think Gerrit Badenhorst played to a decent level. I think I've seen a picture of Tom in rugby getup, but have never heard his talk about the game. His passion outside strongman is football (Celtic IIRC).

Glad this thread has been bumped, so I remembered to say what a great performance Mitch Hooper put in. He's a bit of a Marmite character, I'm firmly in the love camp and got a bit emotional watching the result come in on Big Loz's channel.

Glad this thread has been bumped, so I remembered to say what a great performance Mitch Hooper put in. He's a bit of a Marmite character, I'm firmly in the love camp and got a bit emotional watching the result come in on Big Loz's channel.
Yeh shame Tom couldn't three peat but by all accounts Hooper fully deserved it.

Shame that couldn't watch it live considering a Tom and his brother were competing and have to wait til January to watch it 9 months after on C5.

What's Big Loz's channel?

Latest posts