• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

RedruthRFC

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

England

Was also curious to know if others have used vegan pea protein and if it's as effective as whey. Guess there's no whey of knowing until you've tried both.
The biological value of pea protein is significantly lower than whey, so ingesting the same amount, I would expect worse results.

It sounds to me like you've created an experiment to test for two things at once. i.e. does whey cause digestive problems for you and do the additives in flavoured powders cause you digestive problems? If the pea protein solves the problem, I would definitely try an unflavoured whey powder to see if it was the additives causing the problem, not the whey.

Don't Skip Leg Day

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Northampton

More intolerance related I'd say. Whey seems to make my digestive system play up (I won't go into the details) and thought I'd give the pea protein a try. It wasn't expensive at all (£40 for 5kg) and I'll see if there is any difference once I've gone through it all.
So couple of things to try, I take a lactase tablet when I have a shake and I digest it fine, also if you buy whey isolate (it’s more expensive) that also has no lactase and seems to be digested quite easily by people.
Then you also have things like beef protein powder etc

For me I have a lactose and other intolerances (including an Eddie Jones one it seems) and I manage this by taking a lactase tablet when ingesting dairy and also watching what I eat.

Hopefully this helps, wish I had figured the above our years ago.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

I don't do great on full dairy as I get older (gone are the days of two scoops and a pint of milk, from my uni days)

The MyProtein clear protein shakes go down a treat, though - had no issues at all and taste great, they also do a vegan (pea) protein one
Pricier than standard bulk buy powders, though

die_mole

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation

Bristol

Has anyone tried vegan protein powder without any additives? I just bought pea protein isolate powder and it tastes bland as hell (unless I add a banana) but is way more natural and has less additives. I have always bought flavoured whey protein from amazon but most of them are rammed full of artificial sweeteners etc. and let's just say my digestive system didn't always agree with it.
yeah I bought 20kg of pea protein powder once. It tastes like **** if you don't make a smoothie out of it. Try agave or maple syrup with peanut butter and a fruit. The standard formula is binder, sweetener, fruit, and protein powder.

Don't Skip Leg Day

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Northampton

I don't do great on full dairy as I get older (gone are the days of two scoops and a pint of milk, from my uni days)

The MyProtein clear protein shakes go down a treat, though - had no issues at all and taste great, they also do a vegan (pea) protein one
Pricier than standard bulk buy powders, though
Aldi lactose free milk was a game changer for me. 19g protein per pint and tastes amazing! Not pricy either.

On the powder front, I’ve stopped using Myprotein after their massive price rise.

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leicester

Been tempted to join a dance class as a fitness thing.
Value seemed pretty good for a 6 week beginner course thing.

Also starting back on the yoga stuff.

Le Frére Alpha

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Been tempted to join a dance class as a fitness thing.
Value seemed pretty good for a 6 week beginner course thing.
That's an excellent idea, generally a good skill to be competent in.

Decided to go for one last season in rugby so I want to do it right. Currently about 5kg heavier than I'd like to be after a loose few months. A lot of lifting, interval running and eating clean before September, playing a lot of golf too which encourages me to stay off the booze.

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leicester

That's an excellent idea, generally a good skill to be competent in.

Decided to go for one last season in rugby so I want to do it right. Currently about 5kg heavier than I'd like to be after a loose few months. A lot of lifting, interval running and eating clean before September, playing a lot of golf too which encourages me to stay off the booze.

Yeh my line of thought is generally I struggle with staying motivate to run for cardio and it's more like a social fitness thing rather than just pure fitness like my other stuff I do.

Also who doesn't like being able to pop a move at a wedding lol

Don't Skip Leg Day

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Northampton

Yeh my line of thought is generally I struggle with staying motivate to run for cardio and it's more like a social fitness thing rather than just pure fitness like my other stuff I do.

Also who doesn't like being able to pop a move at a wedding lol
What kind of dancing? I did ball room and Latin with the mrs for a few years (before we had kids) and it’s great. Good skill to be able to wizz a lady round the dance floor.

As far as fitness I’m currently on my 6 week cut. Down from 106kg to 104kg. Want to get to 102.5kg which means from a year ago I’ve added 2.5kg of muscle from last year at the same body fat.

Think that’s quite good in a few when I had quite a bit lay off in the middle due to an operation.

Latest posts