• Paul O'Connell (IRE)

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Alun Wyn Jones (WAL)

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Richie Gray (SCO)

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah Retallicks work around the field over the last few years has been like another loose forward, and he had been involved in some awesome tries for the Chiefs.

I went for Etzebeth and O'Connell. I think there's plenty of locks who are better than O'Connell these days, who too often seems to be short of peak fitness, but its not by much, and POC is one of those guys who makes everyone else around him better. I want me some of that.

For me Retallick and Whitelock/Gray.
In the past it was Ali Williams and Matfield for me.

Restricted by numbers unfortunately! And I don't think a consistent run of form for one season is really enough to justify being included as one of the best in the world. The fact that he's been completely unproven until the last year doesn't really go in his favour compared to someone who's been slowly building.

surely if you're the best, you're the best regardless of how long you've been playing?

also Parling has been injured and not played this season (internationally) yet he gets included after one good season at international level? Lawes should be in there, he's had a run of injuries but he's long been a staple in the england squad and made an impact internationally (remember ashtons try against the Wallabies?)

Who the **** writes this? No Lawes but you have bamby on ice and a season long injured Parling?

Are you saying Richie Gray is better than any second row in France? No Furno despite being the best Itailan player in the 6N

Who the **** writes this? No Lawes but you have bamby on ice and a season long injured Parling?

Are you saying Richie Gray is better than any second row in France? No Furno despite being the best Itailan player in the 6N
well definitely not better that Pape or Maestri

About French locks, really briefly...Papé is really good, but he will blow an easy pass (every once in a while to win the last game of a 6N at the 79th..................), get way too excited and commit stupid fkn fouls a pro shouldn't give away, and his emotions will definitely get the best of him and sometimes that means he's going to yell at the wrong player, pick up a yellow, a red...wtvr. Cannot be in the conversation because of that emotion fiber, unfortunately. Because he is a warrior on the field.
Maestri has not played a big game in forever, at least at test level, and often puts in an okay shift has a tendency to not be on par with test level ruck intensity.
Vahaamahina is a gem who will take time to finally arrive as he rightfully should, too much to say on him for now.
I like Christophe Samson too, Jocelino Suta is mediocre, but a guy like Alexandre Flanquart is very interesting because being so slim for a lock he runs faster, can finish off a play and outrun a guy and is a weapon in the lineouts being so tall. But in today's game so much is won at the breakdown, and he remains a liability on the ground nevertheless being too skinny and giving away too many kilos of muscle others will have and make him pay for it in the rucks and physicality department.

Last edited:

Latest posts