• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: All Blacks - Wallabies @ Eden Park (06-08-2011, 08:35 GMT)

Didn't think the All Blacks were at their best today, clinical when they needed to be though which is what won them the match. Thought Ioane was one of the best players on the pitch, was everywhere for the Wallabies and worked bloody hard for them! Scored one and had a big hand in the second.
All Blacks should be a little disapointed they didnt get the bonus, but it's slightly scary that they can win like that when not playing at their best.

Gear did ok, but the fact they dropped Jane for him after what he did against SA was a strange and slightly unfair decision tbh

So, the lineouts were shabby on both sides, a few fw passes that weren't seen, a couple of crooked lineouts that may be a result of my beer vision right now...

But all in all I expected more from the Wallabies. AAshley Cooper was invisible, Q Cooper stopped giving a **** in the 60th minute (adequatly put, TVH) and O'Connor is under the Giteau curse.

Last edited:
Yeah Gear has the lowest workrate, had a pretty quiet game. I#ve said a few times if the ball doesn't go his way he's invisible, proved it again tonight. Jane and Guildford were both better.

Also I guess the "Cooper is better than Carter" banter can be put away for a while then? He's a homeless man's Carlos Spencer and just proved it again.

Ioane and O'Connor were probably the two best players (well with Carter) on the pitch - which is odd considering they were on the losing side

McCaw wasn't very good and seemed to spend most his time whinging at the referee

Obviously weren't looking close enough :lol:
I remember one point towards the end of the game where ABs were given a penalty despite McCaw not releasing the player

Yeah Gear had a very quiet game, puts in no where near the same work rate as Jane and Guildford. Personally, based on the last two games, I would definitely have both Jane and Guildford ahead of Gear.

For Australia, they looked good when they were on the attack especially those last ten minutes. Thought J O'C, Ioane and Genia had pretty good games and generally looked threatening whenever they had the ball.
For AB's Carter was god, honestly he is in a whole different league compared to Cooper. Thought Read just continued on from his awesome form last year in the black jersey and generally all the rested players coming back in synced pretty well.

Anyway, thought it was a pretty good game and it's great that we are keeping the Aussies winless at Eden Park. Can't complain.

Was a fairly poor game from all apart form those Oly mentioned. I didn't understand the decion to drop both Jane and Gilford form the 22 after the games thy had last week SBW shouldn't have had the 22 jersey he can only cover 12 so he is useless on the bench IMO.

Obviously weren't looking close enough :lol:
I remember one point towards the end of the game where ABs were given a penalty despite McCaw not releasing the player

Come on, he doesn't "cheat" anymore than other 7's. Thought he had a strong game, made some nice kick off receipts and hit so many rucks in support play. Aussies got away with some ridiculous turnovers where the tackler would stand up after the ruck was formed and just pick up the ball.

carter was just on fire making tackles,kicks running at the line doing everything. He totally outclassed cooper who had a few brief moments but when the pressure came on he started to crack badly and completely faded away

abs got turned over a few times at the breakdown and wallabies really punished them with that with it spreading it wide often to make big gains and scoring one try off it.

it was not the greatest of matches by either team but the abs were just way too classy across the park especially with carter having a fairly dominant display at 10.

richie had blood around his mouth/nose at one point so I assume he was doing his job rather well.

Last edited:
Was a fairly poor game from all apart form those Oly mentioned. I didn't understand the decion to drop both Jane and Gilford form the 22 after the games thy had last week SBW shouldn't have had the 22 jersey he can only cover 12 so he is useless on the bench IMO.

Agreed. It was weird throwing Slade on the wing. Our defence definitely went a bit when all those changes were made.

Although Conrad Smith I though was outstanding, was unreal on defence and carried it up strongly.

Also I guess the "Cooper is better than Carter" banter can be put away for a while then? He's a homeless man's Carlos Spencer and just proved it again.

Wow, it seems that outside of the gaming threads I may spend some time agreeing with you. :D Good post.

Come on, he doesn't "cheat" anymore than other 7's. Thought he had a strong game, made some nice kick off receipts and hit so many rucks in support play. Aussies got away with some ridiculous turnovers where the tackler would stand up after the ruck was formed and just pick up the ball.
Hey now, I didn't say he did!
I'd be disappointed if a 7 was on the pitch and now cheating his little heart out - it's part of the job :lol:

I'm not a fan of SBW, never have been, he's a one trick pony. And with him being on the bench tonight forced Colin Slade to go out onto the wing. If they had someone like Cory Jane on the bench, then Jane could have still gone on, and if they still wanted to take off Nonu then Slade could have come on and Carter could have slipped to 12. Much better option than leaving Slade sit out on the wing doing nothing. SBW didn't even go into contact before doing "that pass" every single time he got the ball today. Bizarre.
Huge fan of the way Carter is playing as of late.
Not sure why they keep picking Ali Williams, maybe their looking to his experience to add to the squad through the world cup, but they've got so much choice that they'll stick with after the world cup, Ali is a long way down my list.
Nonu Smith combo is working pretty bloody well.
But my biggest concern is Weepu not being his old self yet. First start in a long while and yet he couldn't seem to get a sense of cohesion in the match. Whereas Cowan and Carter had a wonderful control over the Boks last week, granted Wallabies are a better team, but Ellis seemed to pick up and do better than Weepu just in the limited time he had. He's 3rd on the list for the RWC as far as i can see right now.

I think this match shows how much Nonu is needed at 12 over Sonny Bill. All this talk about Nonu not on form and Sonny Bill is better than him is just ********! Nonu easily has better RUGBY experience, better RUGBY knowledge and just a BETTER rugby brain than Sonny Bill. The pick and go for his try was genius as a back. He made great decisions whether to pass or running/straightening up the attacking line.

WTF when Sonny Bill started all his offloads. It just too often, risky and often 'hospital passes'esk. Mad love for him because he is a very unique player with unbelievable skills, but should NOT be starting over Nonu in the big games.

I thought crockett, mccaw, read and kaino all had brilliant games in the pack. And the midfield of combo of nonu/smith was working superbly both on attack and defense. As for the wallabies, only ioane and o'connor stood out for me. Cooper had an absolute nightmare but its not entirely down to him, genia was harrased all night by the AB's and didnt get the go forward ball that half back pairing needs. And as for carter, best player in the world by a mile.