• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Triple Draw

P

paco1

Before the game agfainst Franmce, i was wondering if Pumas could manage to beat France or Irealnd, knowing that (specially Ireland) there very even matches.

Now I´m really thinking we are heading for a triple draw. So the scores against Namibia and Georgia will be vital for the points difference.

Someone has the rules in case of ties in the pool positions??

Well if two teams are tied on both competition points and have exactly the same for and against difference, I think the team who finished higher in the previous RWC gets the nod, or the team who has the better attack. I'm not 100% sure.

If 2 teams are tied then the match result between the sides determines who qualifies.

If 3 or more teams are tied then it comes down to points difference, if that is level then it comes down to try difference, if that is the same it then comes down to who has scored the most points, next scenario is who has scored for most tries and should we arrive at the unlikely scenario where all 3 teams finish on the same number of points, have the same points difference, try difference, have scored the same amount of tries and points then the team ranked higher in the world rankings would then qualify, which would be a bitter pill to swallow for Argentina given the nature of the Ireland win that saw them retake 5th place in the rankings.

i think the using world rankings is a bit unfair - IRB protecting the bigger teams (although i suppose its very unlikely to come down to that)

well it's better than drawing lots like they've done in past football world cups.

France got the defensive bonus vs Argentina and Ireland only scored 32 points vs Namibia...

I think that Ireland must win vs France & Argentina now, in case of draw they're already in a bad position. But everything is possible !

It will come down to bonus points if all teams have same record reason why Ireland are leading the pool and France aren't bottom. If tied on points then i think it goes to just counting the matches between the 3 sides. I'm unsure whether points difference or tries scored is the deciding factor.

I didn't think my post could be any clearer but apparently not.

If 3 sides are tied on points it firstly comes down to points difference, it then comes down to try difference, then it comes down to points scored and then tries scored and then world rankings. There's no scenario where bonus points come into play.

I didn't think my post could be any clearer but apparently not.

If 3 sides are tied on points it firstly comes down to points difference, it then comes down to try difference, then it comes down to points scored and then tries scored and then world rankings. There's no scenario where bonus points come into play. [/b]

He's saying that if they're all 3-1 it'll come down to bonus points to who will be ahead on points.

You're talking about if they're all tied on points. You're just going a step farther.

Assuming all of the three get bonus point wins over Georgia and Namibia, and if France beat Ireland and Ireland beat Argentina, France right now have a defensive bonus point. If it comes down to that, I think we'll see a very defensive posture in the IRL-FRA and IRL-ARG games. Teams will take penalties and drops when they can to stay within 7 points, foregoing tries.

<div class='quotemain'> I didn't think my post could be any clearer but apparently not.

If 3 sides are tied on points it firstly comes down to points difference, it then comes down to try difference, then it comes down to points scored and then tries scored and then world rankings. There's no scenario where bonus points come into play. [/b]

He's saying that if they're all 3-1 it'll come down to bonus points to who will be ahead on points.

You're talking about if they're all tied on points. You're just going a step farther.

Assuming all of the three get bonus point wins over Georgia and Namibia, and if France beat Ireland and Ireland beat Argentina, France right now have a defensive bonus point. If it comes down to that, I think we'll see a very defensive posture in the IRL-FRA and IRL-ARG games. Teams will take penalties and drops when they can to stay within 7 points, foregoing tries.

[/b][/quote]

Bonus points will decide whether there is a 3-way draw. is the points difference on the pool as a whole, or just in games between the 3 sides like in HC pools. If it's as a whole, france will get through as i think they are most likely to rack up big scores, assuming they beat Ireland.

Mommy, my head hurts. :wah:

I fear that last minute try for Arg against Georgia will be crucial.

<div class='quotemain'>I fear that last minute try for Arg against Georgia will be crucial.[/b]

Beat France and case closed ;) [/b][/quote]

Not quite, still a question of who plays the all blacks and who plays scotland/italy

Not quite, still a question of who plays the all blacks and who plays scotland/italy[/b]

Yeah sure, but the only way to get the first place for them is beating us, if we beat them that's it, first place for us. So, if they beat France that try against Georgia is irrelevant, we will not be looking at bonus points, the one that wins the last match goes first.

<div class='quotemain'>Not quite, still a question of who plays the all blacks and who plays scotland/italy[/b]

Yeah sure, but the only way to get the first place for them is beating us, if we beat them that's it, first place for us. So, if they beat France that try against Georgia is irrelevant, we will not be looking at bonus points, the one that wins the last match goes first. [/b][/quote]

And in 10 years time the teams will only be remembered for how far they progressed, and winning the pool should get you to the semi-final

If 2 teams are tied then the match result between the sides determines who qualifies.

If 3 or more teams are tied then it comes down to points difference, if that is level then it comes down to try difference, if that is the same it then comes down to who has scored the most points, next scenario is who has scored for most tries and should we arrive at the unlikely scenario where all 3 teams finish on the same number of points, have the same points difference, try difference, have scored the same amount of tries and points then the team ranked higher in the world rankings would then qualify, which would be a bitter pill to swallow for Argentina given the nature of the Ireland win that saw them retake 5th place in the rankings. [/b]

:lol2tn: absolutely insane that scenario would be!

isn't Argentina ranked 4th now? So that means if THAT happens, Arg will qualify won't they?

And in 10 years time the teams will only be remembered for how far they progressed, and winning the pool should get you to the semi-final[/b]

That's sad :(

:lol2tn: absolutely insane that scenario would be!

isn't Argentina ranked 4th now? So that means if THAT happens, Arg will qualify won't they?
[/b]

Yes, but that's counting the victory over France so the ranking will change for sure if there's a triple draw :blink: