• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tuilagi and England's centres

According to ESPN scrum the only backs that passed more than Tuilagi in that NZ game were the halfbacks.

According to ESPN scrum the only backs that passed more than Tuilagi in that NZ game were the halfbacks.

Dont let the facts destroy peoples ill conceived opinions Olly you will be saying next Robshaw has more turnovers than anyone else...

Dont let the facts destroy peoples ill conceived opinions Olly you will be saying next Robshaw has more turnovers than anyone else...
More than Dave Seymour?
7MEmgAM.jpg

We'd have really put them to the sword if he had, I'll tell you that for nothing.

All this talk about Robshaw makes me feel like we're back in 2012.

Yes he doesn't jackal over the ball in the same way as the Australians or New Zealanders, but from what I've seen, England adopt a different approach to the breakdown.

It seems to me that England tend to have become much more effective at clearing out opposition jackal threats largely through their power game (Wilson hit 30+ plus rucks vs Wales, Robshaw hit a similar amount against Italy). This then seems to translate to opposition ball where they counter ruck effectively. Look at the New Zealand game in 2012 where Tom Wood was man of the match for making a nuisance of himself at every New Zealand breakdown. Joe Launchberry counter rucks incredibly well and spoils a lot of opposition ball.

Basically the point I'm making is that England's breakdown tactics don't require a fetcher and as a result Robshaw's superior link play in England's pod system and general work rate around the park make him (in my eyes) the best man for the 7 shirt.

I want to see Eastmond in the 13 shirt with Burrell inside him ;) I feel that you get the power and distribution with this combo and pace. No-one is going to catch Eastmond on the outside and Burrell will stop the Roberts and Nonu's of this world.

I want to see Eastmond in the 13 shirt with Burrell inside him ;) I feel that you get the power and distribution with this combo and pace. No-one is going to catch Eastmond on the outside and Burrell will stop the Roberts and Nonu's of this world.
Oooo errr missus.

Putting Kyle at 13 is a bit of a waste, he's best as a 1R... and you obviously lose that if you play him at 13.

Putting Kyle at 13 is a bit of a waste, he's best as a 1R... and you obviously lose that if you play him at 13.
Numbers are not relevant. Flip centres based on the need. Burrell for defence or crash-ball, Eastmond for distribution.

Forget the number, when I say 13 I mean OC.

If he's playing at 13 then he can't take full advantage of his distribution.

Yeah, they can switch between IC and OC depending on situation. Roberts-Davies have done it.

I agree that Eastmond needs to get some time starting in the centres, the number is irrelevant because as Greenwood showed a 13 can line up at 1R. Partnering Eastmond and Burrell would be a great pairing and it would be interesting to see if Farrell plays as well with Eastmond as he does with 36. Personally I'd like to see Eastmond and Farrell thrive because i think Kyle gives us a greater attacking threat.

First of all I didn't say he created it, him being there caused the scenario that opened the space. You gave him zero credit, and still do it appears. I don't think Read was to blame at all, Smith charged out the line because he wanted to stop Manu and left too much space for Read to cover (after he was also covering Farrell). Also what he did do was simple at the end? Pfft, that says everything about what you think of Tuilagi right there. Barritt needed to commit Dagg but passed way too early leaving alot to do, which he did perfectly.

Don't cry, dry your eyes....

You said it was ALL Tuilagi, and it wasn't, the try was made from people doing their parts correctly, and yes a 2 on 1 is easy. The thing i will say is Jane is in the wrong, he should have tracked onto Barritt once he'd passed as dagg was coming across.

executing a 2 vs 1 is basic core skills that everyone should be able to do, yet Tuilagi seldom does and nearly butchers with a frankly poor pass....no need to take contact on that situation should have passed as soon as Dagg was commited.

I did also say he was involved in the other two trys, you should really read the whole of a post not jsut the bit that makes you clench your jaw.

Obviouslly you don't really seem to want to read what doesn't agree with your point of view focusing on small parts of it, if you take the time to read my comments I actually said that even now I'm struggling to think I'd start burrell over Manu in New Zealand.

I really love how the Leicester fans cannot see past anyone in a striped shirt (unless they leave the club)

Attachments

• don't cry.jpg
    don't cry.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 11
  • dry eyes.png
    dry eyes.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Don't cry, dry your eyes....

the try was made from people doing their parts correctly)

Actually the try was made because of sh*t defence from NZ. Conrad Smith went for Tuilagi instead of taking Barrit, Tuilagi was already covered, then Jane misses Tuilagi.

Tuilagi is far from being the complete centre, but he scores tries and attracts defenders like flies round sh*t.

Last edited:
Actually the try was made because of sh*t defence from NZ. Conrad Smith went for Tuilagi instead of taking Barrit, Tuilagi was already covered, then Jane misses Tuilagi.

Tuilagi is far from being the complete centre, but he scores tries and attracts defenders like flies round sh*t.

Your right Tuilagi was covered, by Smith.

The numbers were there. Nonu had stepped out on Farrell. Read is the issue as he sees this late as he steps in then out allowing Barrett to drift.

Smith did it right, he mirrored up and stayed on his man. There was no one outside him as Jane was still coming up.

No one is saying tuilagi isn't a good player etc.... The point is about balance in the midfield and we saw more of that this year than we have in the last 3

The point is about balance in the midfield and we saw more of that this year than we have in the last 3

Yeah I didn't see heaps of the 6N, saw a few England games and backs + midfield looked much better. But that could also be because the team as a whole is playing better, the forwards are making the gain line, getting the defence on the backfoot, quick phase ball to the backs, making it much easier for them. I've seen a few England games, where Tuilagi was given horrible slow ball or a slow cut out pass and expected to do something with it..

If England can play like they have been, retain possession, recycle the ball quickly, a player like Tuilagi can really shine. Hitting a flat pass at pace, he will be hard to put down. He just needs to be used correctly. Chucking him the ball and hoping he will do something with it, is not the right strategy.

I personally think England will be very hard to beat in the World Cup next year, especially considering it's at home for them. They are starting to remind me of the 2003 team.

Latest posts