• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Two Argentines shortlisted for Player of Year award

F

Fushitsusha

Two Argentines shortlisted for Player of Year award
By Rex Gowar

PARIS, Oct 8 Reuters - Argentines Juan Martin Hernandez and
Felipe Contepomi are on the five-man shortlist announced on Monday
for the IRB World Player of the Year award.

If either were successful it would be the first time a player
from Argentina, who have reached their first-ever World Cup
semi-final, won the coveted ***le.

France centre Yannick Jauzion, South Africa wing Bryan Habana
and New Zealand captain Richie McCaw, who won the award last year,
have also been shortlisted.

It is particularly significant that two Pumas should be
shortlisted as Argentina do not take part in an annual
international competition.

Flyhalf Hernandez, who also helped Stade Francais win the French
club championship this year, has been at the helm of Argentina's
impressive run to the last four of the World Cup.

Contepomi, a flyhalf for Leinster who has played a key midfield
role alongside Hernandez, is the tournament's second highest scorer
with 64 points in the Pumas' five victories.

"The IRB Player of the Year Award is the ultimate accolade for a
player to receive in his career. It takes on added significance in
a Rugby World Cup," said International Rugby Board chairman Syd
Millar.

"The list of past winners of this prestigious award is very
impressive and comprises players of the calibre of Schalk Burger,
Dan Carter, Jonny Wilkinson, Richie McCaw, Fabien Galthie and Keith
Wood."

The inclusion of Argentina in a major annual international
competition such as the Six Nations or the Tri-Nations is an issue
the IRB has said it is looking into.

The Argentines face South Africa in Sunday's semi-final at the
Stade de France.

"(Argentina) have given southern hemisphere teams very hard
games, it's been the same in Europe, so there's nothing surprising
about it," Millar said of the Pumas' success at the World Cup.

"They've got players in Europe playing at a very high level.
They're in the right position that they deserve," he added of
Argentina's ranking at number four.

Anyways, who do you guys think is going to win this?

I'm rooting for Hernandez.

As good as Jauzion is, I have no idea why he is nominated. If definitely won't be Contepomi or Habana. So it's gonna be a toss up between Hernandez and McCaw. Out of those two, Hernandez has in better from this year so he might take it out.

I would've thought the winner would coincide with the world cup winning team, but out of the players nominated I'd still have to go with Hernandez.

If the All Blacks had've made it all the way through I wouldn't have been surprised if McCaw took it out.

Contepomi probably has the least chance of the lot, and I don't think Jauzion and Habana have done enough to deserve it, despite both of them playing really well.

I actually belive that Mortlock probably deserved a nomination because he's been consistently awesome all year.

no no no is juan hernandez ..mortlock poor he is injured

sorry my english is bad ..yes juan hernandez is the best player in your position

juan hernandez signed for Leicester Tiger in season 2007 2008?

the best team is annunced later to final RWC 2007

yes up up felipe the king of the kicking penalty....Ronan Bad Luck my friend

no no no is juan hernandez ..mortlock poor he is injured

sorry my english is bad ..yes juan hernandez is the best player in your position

juan hernandez signed for Leicester Tiger in season 2007 2008?

the best team is annunced later to final RWC 2007

yes up up felipe the king of the kicking penalty....Ronan Bad Luck my friend
[/b]

Hernandez is awesome, but it's easy for one to get overly excited of his recent form. Carter is the best in the world in his position (1st 5/8), Paterson is the best kicker in the world (not Felipe).

Herenandez should win though. He's got ridiculous talent and will only get better. I hope he goes to Leicester. Stade Francais are a joke out fit with Beauxis and Skrela already there at fly half. He must go to Leicester if he wants to continually play there and not be stuck at full back.

It'd be really fantastic if Felipe or hernandez win the award, antoher reason to add Argentina to a strong competition

Hernandez or Contepomi, either way it's gonna be great; Argentina has proven itself to be a top class team!

How on God's Green Earth is Jauzion been nominated.

I was a big Jauzion Fan after the 2003 RWC, but what's he done in the last 12 months apart from been torn to shreds by McAlister at Lyon last year, and deciding to re-enact his roundball counterparts and go down like a sack of **** to milk a yellow card.

How on God's Green Earth is Jauzion been nominated.

I was a big Jauzion Fan after the 2003 RWC, but what's he done in the last 12 months apart from been torn to shreds by McAlister at Lyon last year, and deciding to re-enact his roundball counterparts and go down like a sack of **** to milk a yellow card.
[/b]

I'm just as bewildered as you.

Now that NZ are out, I think McCaw is out of the equation. Jauzion is a "non" for me, as is Habana, as I don't think, AT THE MOMENT, his impact on the World Cup hasn't been as sensational as expected.

I'd like to see one of the Argentinians get the award, preferably Hernandez.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hernadez is a better fullback than he is a first-five. Certainly, I believe he should win this award but I still think he runs better when he has more space. Not to mention how comfortable he is under the high ball and his ability to counterattack. Another thing Hernandez has going for him is that this is his breakout season. This is the one where he gets to showcase his talent on the international stage.

Richie McCaw has played at his outstanding rate, but he's also won the award recently, so I know that hurts his case. Contepomi is a very solid player, but best in the world? I certainly doubt that. Habana is largely an overated player. I don't think he's the best wing in the world and he can't really produce anything on his own. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player but he doesn't deserve the award. Jauzion? I can't see a time when I could ever say that he is the best all around player in the world.

So, in conclusion: Hernandez or McCaw, either one would be a fantastic pick, but I choose Hernandez as a reward not only for his play, but for the performance of Argentina.

Habana is largely an overated player. I don't think he's the best wing in the world and he can't really produce anything on his own. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player but he doesn't deserve the award.

[/b]

Come on! Did you watch the england tests or the game against samoa, or some of the stuff he did in the s14? The award is given on this year's performances only. Granted he hasnt done much since the Samoa game and isnt as strong a contendor as some others, but he is definately up there

<div class='quotemain'>
Habana is largely an overated player. I don't think he's the best wing in the world and he can't really produce anything on his own. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player but he doesn't deserve the award.

[/b]

Come on! Did you watch the england tests or the game against samoa, or some of the stuff he did in the s14? The award is given on this year's performances only. Granted he hasnt done much since the Samoa game and isnt as strong a contendor as some others, but he is definately up there [/b][/quote]

This award deems the winner to be the absolute best player on the planet. I can't even definitively say that Habana is the best wing in the world. For sure Habana is top 3 at the wing position, but I'm sorry, I don't think he is even in the top 10 overall players in the world.

[I think that the best players of Argentina are Hernandez,Corleto and the props.

Latest posts