• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Two Foreign born Ruggers picking up the pigskin.

TheCrossover

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Chiefs
BYU in Provo, Utah is pretty well known for the rugby but the main attraction is definitely american football. Paul Lasike, a senior from Auckland, has been starting at full back for the Cougars since the start of last season. He's looking to contribute more this season and after watching some practices, he looks as if hes been playing the game all his life.

Here he is scoring on Texas last season

Josh Whippy of Suva, Fiji who earned All-America honors in 2014, will be looking to follow in Lasike's footsteps at running back. There's still nuances of the game that he has to learn but get this kid the ball in the open field and he's flat out dangerous.

both boys were teammates at CCNZ. Call me crazy but I hope the trend continues. I'm actually surprised it hasn't started earlier as Rugby players are some of the best athletes in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
in NFL there are several players who played rugby too in their college times

With the disparity in potential earnings I wouldn't be surprised to see more cross overs from Rugby though I do think League has a more direct 'affinity' to Grid iron football than Union.

Like who? and for these 2, this is their first time playing american football
Nate Ebner (New England Patriots) and Tevita Finau (New York Jets) but there are also others but now I don't remember who.
And then there is Daniel Adongo who played in Super Rugby

With the disparity in potential earnings I wouldn't be surprised to see more cross overs from Rugby though I do think League has a more direct 'affinity' to Grid iron football than Union.
I left rugby for american football just for opportunity reasons,in rugby I was always blocked by political issues from unions,in american football I could organize a competition with nfl players I had contacts without problems

Anyone else hate the term "Ruggers"?

Believe it or not but I do despite me saying it all the time. Its my bogan friends at work always say it and it rubs off on me.

They'd ask "Ruggas?", everytime I come in limping.

Last edited:
Yesss! I, too, despise the term "rugger" - specifically people referring to themselves as "ruggers".

Americans use the term far more often than anyone else in my experience.

Nate Ebner (New England Patriots) and Tevita Finau (New York Jets) but there are also others but now I don't remember who.
And then there is Daniel Adongo who played in Super Rugby

Ebner was born and raised in Ohio so I'm sure he's played the game in his youth. T Finau has been living in the states since he was 8 so I'm sure the same is for him. These 2 boys are having their first crack at the sport now at the Division 1 Level.

Also sorry for using the word Ruggers. It just slips out every now and then. lol

Ebner was born and raised in Ohio so I'm sure he's played the game in his youth. T Finau has been living in the states since he was 8 so I'm sure the same is for him. These 2 boys are having their first crack at the sport now at the Division 1 Level.

Ebner played at u19-u20 world cup and he was one of the best of US' team

Also sorry for using the word Ruggers. It just slips out every now and then. lol[/QUOTE said:
Ah don't you worry I don't see anything wrong,as I said in Italy there is a team named Ruggers Tarvisio

Bears DT Stephen Paea didn't play rugby in college but he was a very promising schoolboy rugby player in Tonga before moving to the US when he was 16. He only started playing football in his senior year of HS. Ravens star Haloti Ngata was a terrific HS rugby player too but obviously made the right choice sticking with football.

Bears DT Stephen Paea didn't play rugby in college but he was a very promising schoolboy rugby player in Tonga before moving to the US when he was 16. He only started playing football in his senior year of HS. Ravens star Haloti Ngata was a terrific HS rugby player too but obviously made the right choice sticking with football.

Oakland Raiders' Jack Crawford and San Francisco 49ers Lawrence Okoye played rugby before to move to US (they're english).
Okoye played for London Irish and Wasps youth teams

Lawrence Okoye sounds like he is improving, got injured against Ravens but his Bull rush is looking very strong considering he has never played football before let alone in the NFL.

Needs to work on the Pass D though.

Lawrence Okoye sounds like he is improving, got injured against Ravens but his Bull rush is looking very strong considering he has never played football before let alone in the NFL.

Needs to work on the Pass D though.

Yes,consider that he was involved in athletics until less than a year ago (he took part also to London 2012)

Latest posts