• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U20 6 Nations 2017- Stars of the Future: If there's grass on the pitch play ball

France have a 6'7", 160kg lock named [FONT="]Maamry Walid.

He's 17.

Binny bunibona was 150kg at some point in his teens, so for Density, he wins.[/FONT]

I think he's a prop. If he is the scrums will be interesting. Personally I think he is too tall to be a prop.

I saw someone call him a prop, but he's 6'7"... even if he's dominating kids because of his size now, he wont' be able to do that at higher levels.

I'm not sure how it's even possible for him to scrummage properly with a hooker who's around 6'

TAB is pretty bloody short but maybe not that short. Close though.

Ireland Under-20 v Scotland U20, Friday 3rd Feb, 20.30hrs, Broadwood Stadium, Glasgow (Live on RTE2)
15. Jack Kelly (Dublin University / Leinster) (Captain)
14. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College / Leinster)
13. Gavin Mullin (UCD / Leinster)
12. Ciaran Frawley (UCD / Leinster)
11. Colm Hogan (Dublin University / Munster)
10. Johnny McPhillips (Ballynahinch / Ulster)
9. Johnny Stewart (Queen's University / Ulster)

1. Joey Conway (UL Bohemian / Munster)
2. Tadgh McElroy (Lansdowne / Leinster)
3. Peter Cooper (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster)
4. Fineen Wycherley (Young Munster / Munster)
5. Oisin Dowling (Lansdowne / Leinster)
6. Cillian Gallagher (Corinthians / Connacht)
7. Paul Boyle (Lansdowne / Leinster)
8. Caelan Doris (St. Mary's College / Leinster)

Replacements:
16. Adam Moloney (Shannon / Munster)
17. Rory Mulvihill (UCD / Leinster)
18. Charlie Connolly (Dublin University / Leinster)
19. Jack Regan (UCD / Leinster)
20. Marcus Rea (Queen's University / Ulster)
21. Jack Lyons (Young Munster / Munster)
22. Conor Fitzgerald (Shannon / Munster)
23. Tommy O'Brien (UCD / Leinster)

Mup the chung wuns. Munster needed Calvin Nash for the senior squad which is bad news for the Under 20s, but still.

Yeah Nash looks set to play this week for us and is a talent. Keep an eye on Lyons if he gets on. He is a fine player and learning alot off Griesel at Cookies

The 8 Doris is from Mayo, but went to Rock and studies in Dublin. Captained the Under 18s and looks a prospect. Wonder if Leinster will be his long term future given the players ahead of him.
Also our 12 is a 10 mysteriously shifted to 12 apparently and is defensively not great

Last edited:
He definitely played as a lock in last year's u19 tournament in SA.

And he definitely won't stay as a prop - there is a reason you don't see many props over 6'1".

Where else can he go though? I'd have thought he'll have to shed quite a bit of timber to make it as a lock or 8.

I'm not arguing that being 6'7 and a prop is ideal, but Andrew Sheridan was 6'5 it it worked out alright for him.

Second row.

I will be astonished if he plays elite level senior rugby as a prop.

He'll have to shed a good 20+kg regardless of where he plays - I'd imagine he'll end up under 140kg when he's in his early 20's.

Where else can he go though? I'd have thought he'll have to shed quite a bit of timber to make it as a lock or 8.

I'm not arguing that being 6'7 and a prop is ideal, but Andrew Sheridan was 6'5 it it worked out alright for him.

Sheridan got away with it because of his freakish strength, but, Aus apart, he seldom totally dominated.

If we ever see 6' 7" props I'm off to watch league or Aussie Rules.

Many props struggle far more against the short squat type (ie proper props). Suspect there aren't many above Thomas Domingo (all 1.73m of him) in Dan Cole's nightmares.

Yeah Sheirdan had freakish pig farming strength. Fabulous player, but your ideal prop is a keg with legs. Preferably wider than tall and he's not seen his toes since puberty. The young fella want be able to rely on size forever, but he does seem to have a lot of muscle and huge legs from recent pics following a google. Will need to shed some weight and move back to second row or maybe eight. Wish him all the best.

Latest posts