Uncharted Territory - Pro 14 - Quarter Finals 2018

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Never before has an Irish or British competition of note used the six team playoff system practiced in France. This week four of the almost best teams in the competition will play for the honour of losing to the best and beating Glasgow, two extra meaningful games with first teams is an added benefit we get to enjoy having welcomed our Saffa bros. Luckily for you, the thread is up early this week due to this legend's finals!

Munster v Edinburgh (Winner Plays Leinster) - One would presume that Munster will find their mojo after their semi final loss where, for the second time this season, three tries conceded to a now European finalist in the first 25 minutes of the game proved too difficult to overcome.
BUT in Edinburgh they face the side with the best away record in the competition in formidable form, the template to beat Munster is to apply enough pressure so that Murray can't win the game by himself, force Keatley into the game where his shortcomings will be exposed and hurt the rest of his side, can Embra do this? I don't think so, this playoff series has probably come a year too soon for them but Munster should and will be wary against a team who has come into form late in the season after a slow start as that is exactly what won the 12 team predecessor to this tournament last year.

Scarlets v Cheetahs (Winner Plays Glasgow) - Again the home side and strong favourites come into this off the back of an noncompetitive loss in a European semi final. The champions are more feared but perhaps less dangerous than 12 months ago which makes everything tougher for them.
Probably not in this round however considering that their opponents whose commendable stubbornness in the second half of the season helped them cling on to their playoff spot, the only problem for the Bloemfontein outfit is that their most impressive of three road wins came in Parma against Zebre and they aren't the side they were 6 months ago. This will be less competitive than the other quarter final and will see Scarlets into a mouth watering tie against Glasgow where they will probably be slight favourites.

Agreed. The relative unpredictability of the season ends here. Edinburgh do seem to be developing a stodgy defence and a winning mentality. Munster should pull away from them in the first half, but if not they don't I'd make it a coin flip in the second half.

Don't write off the Cheetahs just yet, they have a tendency to kick into another gear when it's playoffs time, plus they had an easy stroll in game against the Kings this past weekend...

Pretty much full strength Edinburgh side, but on paper not one that would cause many a sleepless night. The players who were mysteriously injured shortly before the Glasgow match last week have recovered. :p

Edinburgh: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Dougie Fife, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Chris Dean, 11 Duhan van der Merwe, 10 Jaco van der Walt, 9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 8 Bill Mata, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 6 Magnus Bradbury, 5 Grant Gilchrist, 4 Ben Toolis, 3 Simon Berghan, 2 Stuart McInally (c), 1 Jordan Lay

Replacements: 16 Neil Cochrane, 17 Allan Dell, 18 WP Nel, 19 Lewis Carmichael, 20 Cornell du Preez, 21 Nathan Fowles, 22 Duncan Weir, 23 James Johnstone

Deans and Bennett have potential but need to show more than they have done in order to help Edinburgh compete.

Scarlets: 15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Tom Prydie, 13 Scott Williams, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Steffan Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies, 8 John Barclay, 7 James Davies, 6 Tadhg Beirne, 5 Steven Cummins, 4 Lewis Rawlins, 3 Samson Lee, 2 Ken Owens (c), 1 Rob Evans
Replacements: 16 Elias Ryan, 17 Wyn Jones, 18 Werner Kruger, 19 Aaron Shingler, 20 Will Boyde, 21 Jonathan Evans, 22 Daniel Jones, 23 Steffan Hughes

I've never even heard of Prydie. And is Beirne alright as a loose forward?

Rugby Europe are such trailblazers with their snappily ***led "Challenge Cup Qualifiers" that the Pro14 wanted a bit of that hype. What a truly crap name for a quarter final, but it is small beer.

Edinburgh and Scarlets wins.

Followed by Edinburgh and Glasgow wins leading to an all Scottish Final.

I may die laughing if there is no Irish side in the second Dublin final. Please make it so.

Hope you do better in your finals Alpha Bro than your team does in theirs. :p

Here lads, the Pro14 wouldn't exist without me... Ye ****** chodes.
You're past it and you've been past it a while. Give it up and hand over the reigns to someone younger! This games moved past you and you've earned a good retirement. I hope they remember you for the man you were, not the joke you've become.

Hey Tigs when you watch Braveheart which way does your misshapen angry member point these days mate?

Points towards
giphy.gif

After the disrespect shown to me by a certain fanbase here I want an Embra win.

Really it's because I think Munster would beat us after a week on the **** as champions of Europe but reckon we could handle Embra, Nacewa should never lose another match.

Latest posts