• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Union vs League Balls...Is there a difference?

<div class='quotemain'>
Yes, as you can see from the photo the League ball isn't quite as round and is also actually a bit longer. The difference comes from the larger emphasis on kicking in Union compared to the predominantly passing game of league (i.e the bullet like league ball is easier to pass while the slightly rounder union ball has a larger sweet spot for kicking).
[/b]
Lol, totally wrong. A league ball is more round, and the union ball is more bullet like.

League balls traditionally have 8 panels

That picture which is used of the league ball is quite decieving, it's been stretched or something. [/b][/quote]
LOL, being told I'm totally wrong by someone name "EnglandWillWin2011".
The Uniong ball is rounder:
http://www.helium.com/items/605114-there-d...s-between-rugby

<div class='quotemain'>
Yes, as you can see from the photo the League ball isn't quite as round and is also actually a bit longer. The difference comes from the larger emphasis on kicking in Union compared to the predominantly passing game of league (i.e the bullet like league ball is easier to pass while the slightly rounder union ball has a larger sweet spot for kicking).
[/b]
Lol, totally wrong. A league ball is more round, and the union ball is more bullet like.

League balls traditionally have 8 panels

That picture which is used of the league ball is quite decieving, it's been stretched or something. [/b][/quote]

Huh...no no no...the league ball has always been slimmer in design. Rugby balls have always been big and fat due to the "ruck" factor. The slimmer the ball the more prone to handling errors in a ruck.

League balls are definately rounder, just google rugby league ball, and you'll see

Um I did and this is what I got.

a rugby league ball is usually a thinner longer make to a rugby union ball which is more round and has a larger sweet spot for kicking. [/b]
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_diff...ugby_union_ball

A Rugby League ball is a type of football that has the shape of an oval. It is slightly pointier than a Rugby Union ball and larger than an American football.[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_ball

[/b]

yeah but in the northern hemishere, everything is the other way around :D

Thats an idea...then the English rugby team would run it all the time and never kick while the Great Britain league team would kick it and never run. :cheers:

Um I did and this is what I got.

a rugby league ball is usually a thinner longer make to a rugby union ball which is more round and has a larger sweet spot for kicking. [/b]
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_diff...ugby_union_ball

A Rugby League ball is a type of football that has the shape of an oval. It is slightly pointier than a Rugby Union ball and larger than an American football.[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_ball

[/b]
****, if I didn't know better I'd say this proves that our man "EnglandWillWin2011" doesn't know what he's talking about! Who'd a thunk it! :p .
Sorry, but when you insist your right in spite of the evidence to the contrary we have to give you **** mate ;) .

League balls are definately rounder, just google rugby league ball, and you'll see [/b]

Just some life lessons....make sure you can back up your talk with some sort of proof...even remotely sort of proof related evidence. Otherwise expect not to be taken too seriously.....anyway all good :cheers:

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Completing the set - is there a difference between NFL and CFL balls?

http://www.statleader.com/uploaded_images/duke-723344.jpg[img][img]http://www.gmaxsports.com/images/Football/Wils200fivefootball.gif[img]
[/b][/quote]
Well, the one of the right has stripes, and if these are anything like speed-stripes on a car, it'll make the ball much more aerodynamic and will move much faster when passed/kicked
[/b][/quote]

Aren't speed stripes on a car just painted on? [/b][/quote]
Yes USA_Rugby...Olyy is just having us on. Either that or he has a screw loose.

"speed stripes" don't make a difference at all USA_Rugby. ;)
[/b][/quote]
Could it not be both? :P

cut_league_ball.jpg

Much more round than a union ball

Look at it this way, which would be best to play soccer with, the league ball definately.

Does anyone actually use a Gilbert league ball? Steeden supply to RFL, Super League, NRL, ARL, ERLF, and FFR. (Yes, I know they're under the same parent company).

That thing looks like one of those stupid shaped footballs (you know, those circular things) that a really fat person has sat on. You sure it's not a Gilbert netball?

cut_league_ball.jpg

Look at it this way, which would be best to play soccer with, the league ball definately.

[/b]

Well done Englandwillwin2011! Yes that Gilbert league ball is rounder than the Gilbert Union ball just by looking at it....I have never seen that ball before...especially those eight panels...I had no idea there was a gilbert league ball in the first place...this ball is quite interesting.

What competition uses this ball?

In the southern hemisphere we use steedmans for league...some social games use avaro which is also slimmer still. I don't know if I have even seen this eight panel league ball on sale in a shop over here. The only sport Gilbert balls are used for is rugby...but that is the 4 panel rugby ball.

So yes a good find Englandwillwin2011 and I stand corrected regarding the one eyed view of this debate....but I am curious to know what type of action this ball has seen?

cut_league_ball.jpg

[/b]

Unless that picture was taken at a really odd angle, that is not a league ball. A league ball definately does not look like that. It looks like a netball or something more like. With pointy ends? Lol.

Well at least he's come up with a reference this time. But seriously EWW2001, you must know that in the NRL (and even ESL as far as I'm aware) they don't use gilbert balls, and judging by the looks of it I can see why...

The only sport Gilbert balls are used for is rugby...but that is the 4 panel rugby ball.

[/b]

A little off topic, but Gilbert is also the main supplier for Netball as well as with rugby.

Sources:

http://www.gilbert-netball.co.uk/history.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_%28sports_equipment%29

Oh.. and just by looking at pictures posted earlier in this thread.. league looks much more pointy. All the union balls I have (gilbert and nike) are all very round, and by the looks of league balls on google images, looks like my assumption is correct; then again, I'm in Canada.. no league here :mellow:

They've only used the current steeden balls a couple of years, I think traditional the balls in england have been these 8 panel ones. Im in a rugby league area, and the league balls have always looked rounder to me, that ball I posted is genuine, if you search rugby league ball and go to google images you'll see that there are lots of other balls like that.

<div class='quotemain'>
cut_league_ball.jpg

[/b]

Unless that picture was taken at a really odd angle, that is not a league ball. A league ball definately does not look like that. It looks like a netball or something more like. With pointy ends? Lol.
[/b][/quote]
It's a league ball. Have you never played netball!

<div class='quotemain'>
cut_league_ball.jpg

[/b]

Well done Englandwillwin2011! Yes that Gilbert league ball is rounder than the Gilbert Union ball just by looking at it....I have never seen that ball before...especially those eight panels...I had no idea there was a gilbert league ball in the first place...this ball is quite interesting.

In the southern hemisphere we use steedmans for league...some social games use avaro which is also slimmer still. I don't know if I have even seen this eight panel league ball on sale in a shop over here. The only sport Gilbert balls are used for is rugby...but that is the 4 panel rugby ball.

So yes a good find Englandwillwin2011 and I stand corrected regarding the one eyed view of this debate....but I am curious to know what type of action this ball has seen?
[/b][/quote]

Here is a lesson for life..try and be more humble, less sarcastic ;-)

cut_league_ball.jpg

[/b]

Yeah this is the ball that they use to use in the super league before it when to steeden. This is NOT a squashed netball or anything. I did use to have one of these gilbert balls and from what i remember it did seem to be more rounded than my union ball

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Here is a lesson for life..try and be more humble, less sarcastic ;-)
[/b][/quote]

Um...admitting I am wrong is....er...humility.
Currently the league ball used is slimmer than the rugby ball. Whatever the case was 5, 10, 50 years ago does not apply to the present tense question this thread is asking. So when I am admitting that I am so called "wrong" when I know that really I am right is me being graceful.

Sarcasm is a sharp satirical utterance designed to cause pain which was not the intent of my statement here.
Just some life lessons....make sure you can back up your talk with some sort of proof...even remotely sort of proof related evidence. Otherwise expect not to be taken too seriously.....anyway all good :cheers: [/b]
To make a statement and backing it up with lazy evidence such as "look it up" evidence will always have people doubting the statement. It is the job of the person making the statement to prove their word.

Finally......generally it is better to give stick to someone who is giving you stick rather than someone who says they are wrong, you are right, and well done you have done well.

Anyway, I guess it is slimmer now because it says that on Wikipedia..

but you can see where I was coming from, the league balls did used to be fat things, funny it's changed. I thought they were better fat because a rugby league kick is more like a kick you would do as a goalkeeper in football, maybe they've changed it for faster gameplay.

Anyway, I guess it is slimmer now because it says that on Wikipedia..

but you can see where I was coming from, the league balls did used to be fat things, funny it's changed. I thought they were better fat because a rugby league kick is more like a kick you would do as a goalkeeper in football, maybe they've changed it for faster gameplay. [/b]

Yep I can see here you are coming from...and that eight panel league ball is really intriguing me as I have never ever come across one of those and it would be great to actually have one (if they still make them) as people would be wanting to touch it in amazement.....it would be a novelty in NZ....it really does look very different...flasher even!

Latest posts