• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC 2022/23 - Round 7

Yeah, once Scarlets are mathematically eliminated then I'd give Peel the bullet (assuming there is someone else to try, maybe even Danny Wilson). Basic errors all across the pitch.

The wheels have come off the Italian wagon so badly I'm not going to post about it for the rest of the season. Unfathomable the contrast to the promising early weeks.

We are 12 points behind and we deserve to be. Terrible throughout. Line out is a mess. No consistency and loads of unforced errors. We are no where in this game. Lions playing well.

One thing we never do at the Stormers is take the points from penalties. Lions did that well at the start of the game. With how poor our lineout has been, we should really look to do it more.

Those first four minutes a perfect example of it. 2 penalties in front of poles. Twice for corner, no points

Well that was one hell of a turnaround. No points conceded in the second half and a lot more clinical. I was really backing Dweba, but he has had a terrible run with his throwing the last two games. Bench did better in terms of nailing the throws. Mauls also got tighter and some nice attacking rugby. Passes started going to hand and the running rugby started clicking. Must've been one impressive half time talk.

Think we can be happy with it being a bit of a season break at this point. Need a little regrouping, but nice to end it on an impressive second half.

Feel bad for the Lions though, they deserved a losing bonus point at the very least.

Yeah, Dragons very good. Been a while since they almost put 50 on a side! Steff Hughes looking like a great signing for them in the centre, he's really helped add some distribution in midfield. Sam Davies looked decent, and he could flourish with the style they're playing atm. Their forwards continue to impress, regardless of who's playing they're confrontational and dynamic, they compete hard in the lineout and their putting the opposition under pressure in the scrum. Londsdale and Nott (injured atm) have been another 2 shrewd signings who add versatility. They could press for a playoff spot if their form continues...

On the flip side, Ospreys know how to lose! Most of their play is laboured and very sloppy. Let Connacht into it after a very good start, and then proceded to be terrible for the next 60min. It wasn't the strongest of Ospreys sides, but it was good enough to win at home v Connacht. The more phases they go through ball in hand the worse they look, and that's been a theme for far too long which suggests a coaching issue. Like Dean Ryan at the Dragons, has booth had his chance now?

Yeah, Dragons very good. Been a while since they almost put 50 on a side! Steff Hughes looking like a great signing for them in the centre, he's really helped add some distribution in midfield. Sam Davies looked decent, and he could flourish with the style they're playing atm. Their forwards continue to impress, regardless of who's playing they're confrontational and dynamic, they compete hard in the lineout and their putting the opposition under pressure in the scrum. Londsdale and Nott (injured atm) have been another 2 shrewd signings who add versatility. They could press for a playoff spot if their form continues...

On the flip side, Ospreys know how to lose! Most of their play is laboured and very sloppy. Let Connacht into it after a very good start, and then proceded to be terrible for the next 60min. It wasn't the strongest of Ospreys sides, but it was good enough to win at home v Connacht. The more phases they go through ball in hand the worse they look, and that's been a theme for far too long which suggests a coaching issue. Like Dean Ryan at the Dragons, has booth had his chance now?
(1) While we can rejoice at the Dragons nearly putting fifty points on a team, all the same this was Zebre we are talking about (and an understrength version at that). Congratulations are still in order, however. (2) That Ospreys team was incredibly understrength, and considering how Connacht ran rings around the Scarlets last week, I was pleasantly surprised they even kept the score that close. (3) More generally, a proper restructuring of the season will have to come about - too many matches are effectively ruined by the internationals being away.

The Italians have started playing in a way that makes me wonder if there are problems with their salaries being paid. Its that bad.

Well well well. After a relatively good run, Cardiff cannot even beat a substantially understrength Edinburgh at home. This doesn't portend well for Welsh rugby, not least with an albeit declining All Blacks team shortly arriving.

So what could've / should've been a L ended up being a 5 log point W. That's more like the Stormers of last season and what I expected vs Cardiff TBH.

That said the break is well timed for us. Still a ton of top teams to face and I expect between us, the Bulls and Sharks we are going to be canabalising each other and expect the Lions to get one over the bigger SA sides as well. On the Lions, how good was Henco van Wyk. With the Sharks pillaging the Lions for their best last year I hope we manage to get Van Wyk at 13. Alongside Willemse and a better, younger version of Nel. Especially with teh Sharks snapping up young Julius from Paul Roos from under our noses. TBH I'd prefer Van Wyk seeing as he is proving a rock for the Lions at 13 in the URC whereas it remains to be seen if Julius can be as impactful at a higher level as opposed to schools lvl (though if he is only half as impactful that'd be amazing still). Hope he isn't wasted at the Sharks in behind Am, Venter and RJvR.

Scarlets, Dragons and Bulls at home this year still. Should be a few points still.

So what could've / should've been a L ended up being a 5 log point W. That's more like the Stormers of last season and what I expected vs Cardiff TBH.

That said the break is well timed for us. Still a ton of top teams to face and I expect between us, the Bulls and Sharks we are going to be canabalising each other and expect the Lions to get one over the bigger SA sides as well. On the Lions, how good was Henco van Wyk. With the Sharks pillaging the Lions for their best last year I hope we manage to get Van Wyk at 13. Alongside Willemse and a better, younger version of Nel. Especially with teh Sharks snapping up young Julius from Paul Roos from under our noses. TBH I'd prefer Van Wyk seeing as he is proving a rock for the Lions at 13 in the URC whereas it remains to be seen if Julius can be as impactful at a higher level as opposed to schools lvl (though if he is only half as impactful that'd be amazing still). Hope he isn't wasted at the Sharks in behind Am, Venter and RJvR.

Scarlets, Dragons and Bulls at home this year still. Should be a few points still.
Every team would prefer Henco Van Wyk he is the hottest property in South African rugby at the moment. Can just see him making the World Cup squad by next year if he stays injury free, have not been so impressed by a new player in years.

I don't see a thread for Round 8, so I'll post my pick here. Glasgow vs Leinster, I hope the Warriors win. It'll take a lot more than hope, but that's all I've got.

1669171283728.png

Latest posts