• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vern Cotter to Bordeaux, Gregor Townsend to Scotland?

Highland Shaun

Academy Player
Scottish Sun saying that Bordeaux are going to test resolve of SRU and make a move for Vern Cotter with Gregor Townsend taking charge of Scotland.

It is a subscription only article so I can't post a link.

Surely this is pure rubbish!?

could you show us a link to this topic to let us know that this is not false thanks

- - - Updated - - -

sorry just read your post for a second time, never mind

FRENCH TARGET COTTER SWITCH, exclusive by Andy Devlin.

Vern Cotter could be offered the chance of a quick-fire return to France- with Gregor Townsend next in line for the Scotland job.

Sunsport understands big spending Bordeaux could be poised to test the SRU's resolve.

Sources claim the Top14 side want the current Scotland coach to take charge of their ***le tilt immediately after this years Rugby World Cup. Cotter is less than 12months into the 2yr deal he signed with BT Murrayfield chiefs last June.

He is highly respected and highly rated by a squad of players who have so far failed to deliver a single win in this years RBS 6N.

Cotter's family are also believed to have settled well in Scotland meaning that Bordeaux face an uphill task to try and tempt him back to France.

The Kiwi coach enjoyed a successful 7yr reign at Clermont Auvergne and depending on how well Scotland do at the World Cup, he may well feel as though he's taken the team as far as he can.

Big spending Bordeaux have already snapped up Wallabies star Adam Ashley-Cooper as well as New Zealand flanker Peter Saili.

Warriors head coach Townsend would be the man the SRU turned to if Cotter was to quit after the World Cup.

Toony has been a revelation in charge of Glasgow since replacing Sean Lineen as head coach there.

Townshend would take Scotland backwards.
Cotter is reorganising Scotland and making them look like a structured organised outfit hat can rise above it's tiny catchment area for a player base.

Townshend would take Scotland backwards.
Cotter is reorganising Scotland and making them look like a structured organised outfit hat can rise above it's tiny catchment area for a player base.
Townsend is a pretty good coach by all accounts.

His team are top? of the Pro 12. That's huge improvement for me and playing much more consistent and effective footy than Scotland do.

I don't think VC will go, because he probably wants to achieve more with Scotland. I know there's a difference in thinking/priorities between some NH & SH rugby enthusiasts as to how clubs and internationals rank, but for most New Zealanders, to play or to coach internationally, is the pinnacle.

I think going back to club coaching is a step backwards, particularly if VC has any desire to be involved in any future All Black setups (not saying he does, but most NZ born coaches would jump at the chance). I say this because there's definitely been a change in thinking in NZ, from the time when Graham Henry went to Wales, when the thinking was, he'd never coach the AB's, to now, when it's almost a prerequisite to have international experience in some shape or form.

VC doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who would walk out so soon. I imagine he will be motivated to leave his mark on our squad and even more so now after such a disappointing campaign. Our World Cup essentially boils down to one game against Samoa which should determine whether or not we advance to the quarter finals. Samoa are not as good as they were a few years ago and I think we have a good chance of progressing which would render it a successful tournement. I would be more concerned about next year's Six nations when we only have two home games against England and France.

I don't think VC will go, because he probably wants to achieve more with Scotland. I know there's a difference in thinking/priorities between some NH & SH rugby enthusiasts as to how clubs and internationals rank, but for most New Zealanders, to play or to coach internationally, is the pinnacle.

I think going back to club coaching is a step backwards, particularly if VC has any desire to be involved in any future All Black setups (not saying he does, but most NZ born coaches would jump at the chance). I say this because there's definitely been a change in thinking in NZ, from the time when Graham Henry went to Wales, when the thinking was, he'd never coach the AB's, to now, when it's almost a prerequisite to have international experience in some shape or form.

Of course for all kiwis, being an international coach is the pinacle ... Because it means you coach the ABs !!! :cool:

I don't see VC going back to Bordeaux. First because he has been coaching in top14 for a while, and maybe needs to do something else, then because he wants to help Scotland and he's only at the begining of his adventure. And finally, going to bordeaux would be a regression as he's coached Clermont ...

Of course for all kiwis, being an international coach is the pinacle ... Because it means you coach the ABs !!! :cool:

I don't see VC going back to Bordeaux. First because he has been coaching in top14 for a while, and maybe needs to do something else, then because he wants to help Scotland and he's only at the begining of his adventure. And finally, going to bordeaux would be a regression as he's coached Clermont ...

Well yeah, the AB coach is the one that they ultimately want :) , but my point is that they value coaching any side at international level above coaching at club level, where as (my perception anyway), for NH, club can have priority over country

The result of 6 Nations was very disappointing. This must not be repeated in the World Cup.
Do you think that we can qualify for last 8, by beating USA, Japan and Samoa?

Latest posts