• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Waikato Squad

S

Sw1fty

The 2007 Waikato Air New Zealand Cup squad is:

Forwards: Andre Ellison, Craig West, Nathan White Aled de Malmanche, Tom Willis (captain), Vern Kamo, Mark Burman, Kent Fife, Jono Gibbes, Toby Lynn, Ben Paurini, Steven Bates , Marty Holah, Sione Lauaki, Liam Messam, Steven Setephano.

Backs: Sosene Anesi, David Bason, Stephen Donald, William Ripia, Roimata Hansell-Pune, Dwayne Sweeney, Watene Waenga, Jackson Willison, Roy Kinikinilau, Jared Payne, James Kamana.

Points of interest:

(1) Players unavailable for selection due to All Blacks committments at this stage are Mils Muliaina, Byron Kelleher, Keith Robinson, Sitiveni Sivivatu and Brendon Leonard.
(2) A decision surrounding a second half-back for the Waikato squad will be made following the All Blacks World Cup Squad announcement this weekend.
(3) Waikato players not available for selection due to injury were Richard Kahui (midfield back) and Malcolm Barnes (halfback).

Source: www.mooloo.co.nz

I like the look of their back row, but if injuries occur I don't think they'll go overly well.

How do you think they'll go swifty?

I don't know much about the Air NZ Cup, I only follow it lightly (if that makes sense). I wish I could watch more games!

hopefully these boys can do it all over again this year after last year's brilliant performance.

So Lavea's not in the ANZC for Waikato, thank god, or anyone for that matter for that.
He's still in the Chiefs squad though right? Man, The highlanders could do with another 1st5 couldn't they?
Wishful thinking...

Interesting that Willis got the Captancey over Jono...

laveas still signed to auckland this year, not that they'll play him but hes signed a 2 year deal with counties from 2008 so he can play for the chiefs :(

Interesting that Lauaki's name is there..........I can assume he wont be going to the RWC afterall. :(

Can't he get called up? thats a very good squad aye, excellent loosies.

so Richards out for the season? holy smokes!

Damn I wish Reuben Thorne would get injured cause if he did no doubt 1 of the Waikato squad would be put in his place straight away.

Good looking team still plent of speed in the backs lethal as always.

Interesting that Lauaki's name is there..........I can assume he wont be going to the RWC afterall. :( [/b]

Don't jump to conclusions~

Henry said some All Blacks will be playing in the Air NZ Cup, so I guess Lauaki still has a chance :p

Well. let's hope someone takes Thorne out for 6months....something like what happened to Huxley.

yeah but he cant use that time to play his way in, coz the squads named after the trinations i think

These are the teams based on the current RWC Squad. That's why they say they MAY need a replacement for Leonard. Lauaki still has a chance!

laveas still signed to auckland this year, not that they'll play him but hes signed a 2 year deal with counties from 2008 so he can play for the chiefs :( [/b]

Poor ********...I'd hate to have that guy playing for a team i support.

Yup, but there's always hope... he might improve, he might break a leg, he might chase the cash offshore... there's always hope.

Things he could improve on... not doing stupid Spencer kicks (I HATE THAT), improve his attack and defence skills at 1st5, improve his distribution skills... actualy thats a lot to improve on... OK, there bugger all hope unless he breaks a leg.

To be honest, and I'm loathe to say this, I actually thought Lavea wasnt too bad in the Super 14 this year for the Chiefs. Granted that they didn't have many options for an alternative 2nd 5, but he played better than I thought he would (I guess mainly due to low expectations).

And on the issue of Thorne/Lauaki, if Flavell could just get back some of his Super 14 form then he could push out Thorne for the the Lock/Flanker role. That would open things up for Lauaki to cause some World Cup carnage, Jonah styles. I'd love to see that fend he put on McCaw dished out on the big stage.

Well said that man... have to agree on Lavea, what scares me is if they play him at 1st5 and not take a back seat and let Donald do all the thinking 2nd5...

Spot on the money about Falvell...

I think you got it wrong. Thorne is a flanker first, lock 2nd. Flavell is the other way around.

If anything, you'd hope Thorne is chosen as the 4th lock, to make room for one more loosie.

If Flavell is chosen as the 4th lock, Thorne would probably still stay in as the 5th loosie, leaving no room for Lauaki.

Well, that's what I think anyway lol!

Latest posts