Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians

_49538806_waleskit_huw.jpg

Wales squad:

Fowards: Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Paul James (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Scott Andrews (Blues), Matthews Rees (Scarlets), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Deiniol Jones (Blues), Ian Gough (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Blues), Martyn Williams (Blues), Rob McCusker (Scarlets).

Backs:
Michael Phillips (Ospreys), Richard Rees (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Ospreys), Andrew Bishop (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Tom Shanklin (Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Will Harries (Dragons), George North (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Ospreys), Tom Prydie (Ospreys).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9097666.stm

Last edited:
Decent looking squad. Couple of choices I'm not keen on. I think Bevington is shaping up to be twice the player Yapp has ever been, so I'd have gone with him. Ken Owens overlooked again, though happy to see Hibbard. T Rhys Thomas also overlooked in favour of Bennett. Deiniol Jones is useless, but with Evans out, were running out of options. Surely he could have made space for Turnbull, who's been consistently good, but Lydiate and McCusker offer two young options at 6. Surprised that there's no Powell, maybe we'll see McCusker at 8 in one of the games?

Most of the backs are as expected, glad North is in. Czekaj should feel hard done by though, I'd have had him over Prydie. Glad Harries is in too.

Last edited:
Surprised to see Shanklin back, would've thought his Wales days were behind him now,
Though i suppose injury to Roberts have left them a centre short, and their playing styles are fairly similar.
Good to see Knoyle and North there, still dubious about Prydie, but fair enough.

Just like to say that I like the size of the squad. He's made it large enough to include a couple of promising players for the Autumn. He can always reduce it by a few for the 6 nations.

Edit: just realised that there's no Charteris!!!!!! Deiniol Jones over Luke Charteris is a big mistake. That's just taken my opinion of the squad down a level or two. Tut tut Gatland....

Just going for a walk ... I may not be back for some time ....

Still no Aled Brew, Prydie hasn't even played for the Ospreys this season. I thought Iestyn Thomas deserved a shout, he's playing well for Scarlets. Seems to me that Gatland just has a few players he will never consider, no matter how well they play

I would have preferred Bevington in front of Iestyn Thomas. Iestyn is playign well, but he's getting on a bit now, while Bevington is young and seems to have the all round game, including scrummaging.

Brew and Czekaj should be in ahead of Prydie. Prydie needs regional gametime now, not further Welsh caps!

Prydie shouldn't be in ahead of Czekaj, Brew, Stoddart or Fussell and Bennett is behind Thomas and Owens. Yapp's scrummaging has been horrible and his workrate is nothing on Bevington's, nor is his loose play. But, hey, that's three poential bench warmers/second string team members I'm moaning about. Just feel a little for Brew in particular.

Prydie shouldn't be in ahead of Czekaj, Brew, Stoddart or Fussell and Bennett is behind Thomas and Owens. Yapp's scrummaging has been horrible and his workrate is nothing on Bevington's, nor is his loose play. But, hey, that's three poential bench warmers/second string team members I'm moaning about. Just feel a little for Brew in particular.

Kinda summed up everything I wanted to say in terms of players missing. How can Gatland justify picking a player who hasn't played a game for his club this season in Tom Prydie while there are alot of in form wingers who have been overlooked constantly knocking on the door. I'm talking about the likes of Fussel, Brew, Czekaj. I would have even gone for Tom James over Prydie. I would have picked an extra 10 as well as Stephen Jones and Dan Biggar, probably either Nicky Robinson because I hear that hes playing well for Gloucester or even Ceri Sweeney. Charteris should definitely be there as well as Andy Powell whos starting most games for London Wasps and is performing consistently at that level. Other than that I'm quite excited and optimistic with the squad we've got and am looking forward to seeing more of Will Harries in the red shirt as well as seeing how George North handles the pressure of playing at International level.

Gatland said in an interview that he's not selected any England based players as they'll miss the Australia test as it falls out of the international window,
Also said England based players probably won't be selected for the WC squad as the Premier League people said they're not releasing players to their respective nations until the last possible day (Aug 4th) which is only a few days before the warmup test vs England

If only Ian Evans was fit: no Deiniol or Luke, both players who never perform well internationally.
Shocked with Prydie and Biggar, but then again, could we expect anything else from Warren.
I am wondering if they plan to use Prydie as a backup fullback, where he used to play.

Last edited:
I think that's what they're going for with Prydie, seeing as Lee Byrne is the only fullback in the squad.

Developing a propper fullback is certainly the way forward, and I'm beggining to come around to Prydie being in the squad. The other options we have at fullback are: James Hook (converted centre, converted 10), Czekaj (converted winger), Stoddard (should only be viewed as a wing), Priestland (converted 10), Halfpenny (converted winger), Gareth Owen (converted 10/centre). The only two or three genuine fullback's are Daniel Evans (shown to be frail in some games), Martyn Thomas (injured), Jamie Roberts (converted to centre where he's needed imo, especially for the Blues/injured).

Prydie has got all the physical attributes to become a top fullback, including hight, pace, strength and a good kicking game. The fact that he's already become the youngest Welsh international ever, and has played v NZ probably shows he's got the rugby nous and potential to go with that basic skillset. Ospreys should be nurturing him more than they are. he should be getting gametime on the wing to begin with for them, but instead they recruit another winger in Fussell instead. Gatland is looking ahead, something the Ospreys aren't where Prydie is concerned.

Gatland does indeed have him listed as a Fullback instead of a winger. I supose in that case you can make sense of his selection, as Czekaj who's had plenty chances in the red shirt and blown them while Prydie has had just three and taken all with full aplom is the only other option.

Developing a propper fullback is certainly the way forward, and I'm beggining to come around to Prydie being in the squad. The other options we have at fullback are: James Hook (converted centre, converted 10), Czekaj (converted winger), Stoddard (should only be viewed as a wing), Priestland (converted 10), Halfpenny (converted winger), Gareth Owen (converted 10/centre). The only two or three genuine fullback's are Daniel Evans (shown to be frail in some games), Martyn Thomas (injured), Jamie Roberts (converted to centre where he's needed imo, especially for the Blues/injured).

Prydie has got all the physical attributes to become a top fullback, including hight, pace, strength and a good kicking game. The fact that he's already become the youngest Welsh international ever, and has played v NZ probably shows he's got the rugby nous and potential to go with that basic skillset. Ospreys should be nurturing him more than they are. he should be getting gametime on the wing to begin with for them, but instead they recruit another winger in Fussell instead. Gatland is looking ahead, something the Ospreys aren't where Prydie is concerned.
People go on about the Ospreys great youth record Dull, but I'm really not convinced. What is the point in signing Fussell, who could be playing week-in-week-out and excelling in a Dragons team - but instead will languish on the Ospreys bench (if that), instead of promoting potential stars such as Prydie and Kristian Phillips. How good is Prydie going to be against the world's best if his sternest test so far this season has been Kevin James??!!
I maintain that if Leigh Halfpenny hadn't made the decision to leave and go to the Blues he'd still be playing fly-half for Aberavon or Tonmawr instead of being a British Lion and potential Welsh superstar.

You're right to some extent Cyril, although they do also bring through quite a few youngsters too. Some though will never get a chance due to the quality of their squad. I'm concerned for a few promising youngsters, players like Gareth Owen and Ashley Beck are getting zero gametime, whilst I think they'd be first choice starters at the Dragons.

Anyway, what would people's starting 22 be from the squad? Most of it picks itself, but backrow and centre combination are up in the air imo. here's mine:

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Mathew Rees
03 Adam Jones
04 Bradley Davies
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Dan Lydiate
07 Sam Warburton
08 Ryan Jones

09 Mike Phillips
10 Stephen Jones
11 Shane Williams
12 Jonathan Davies
13 James Hook
14 Leigh Halfpenny
15 Lee Byrne

16 Paul James
17 Richard Hibbard
18 Jonathan Thomas
19 Martyn Williams
20 Richie Rees
21 Andrew Bishop
22 Will Harries

As I've said before, Warburton is the future, and whilst Martyn Williams could still do a job for us in the World Cup, Warburton should get the majority of playing time this Autumn to make sure he's ready to take over when needed. Warburton also appeared to be one of the few Blues players to have a good game v Castes. Lydiate offers more at 6 than Jon Thomas imo, whilst Ryan Jones is getting some form back and offers experience in his position in the backrow. Between Thomas and Williams, the entire back 5 of the pack is covered off the bench. Ryan Jones can also move to 6 or lock if needed.

I've gone for Phillips at scrum half, as he seems to be getting his form back, whilst Richie Rees has had a couple of poor games for the Blues. In the centre I could have easily gone for Bishop and Hook, or even Shanklin and Hook. I'll hold complete judgement on Jonathan Davies untill he plays again to see if he can slot straight back in, if he looks off the pace then Bishop or Shanklin would come in. Hook is a cert at 12 or 13 though. Harries or Halfpenny can cover fullback in the event of Byrne getting injured, though this isn't fully ideal (I'd resist the temptation to move Hook, as he's worth more at centre).

My qualms are with the back-row and centres as well. I'd prrrrobably go the same as you in the back-row Dull, but I'd go Bishop and Hook in the backs. Bishop is a solid and dependable player who is getting better all the time. Jonathan Davies has been playing really well, but what GOOD team has he actually played against this season? And he's been injured for the last couple of weeks. Gotta be Bishwap for me.