• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Six Nations squad 2023

Biased. 🤔

Still, it won't stop sections of the crowd from singing it; like Sweet Chariot. It'll turn into a song of defiance against the establishment.
Is he biased? You could make the argument it's the opposite of bias.

Either way, he makes a very good point in my opinion. We all know why they're doing this and it's 100% down to optics rather than anything they want to do to actually address the toxic culture in the WRU.

Slippery slope this kind of stuff. Especially in this case when you're talking about a made up story in a song.

A whole five live radio phone in on the topic of a song. I turned off at the point rugby was described as sport promoting toxic masculinity.

Is he biased? You could make the argument it's the opposite of bias.

Either way, he makes a very good point in my opinion. We all know why they're doing this and it's 100% down to optics rather than anything they want to do to actually address the toxic culture in the WRU.

Slippery slope this kind of stuff. Especially in this case when you're talking about a made up story in a song.
The argument is that it just normlises domestic violence - even if the story is just made up. I read somewhere that domestic violence goes up when Wales lose in the rugby. Not saying it is down to Tom Jones' song though but still half the peeps who sing along don't have a clue what it's about.

The argument is that it just normlises domestic violence - even if the story is just made up. I read somewhere that domestic violence goes up when Wales lose in the rugby. Not saying it is down to Tom Jones' song though but still half the peeps who sing along don't have a clue what it's about.
And this is where the slippery slope is. No one beats their wife after listening to Tom Jones but it doesn't surprise me at all that there's men who take a loss out on their spouse but then by that logic we should ban rugby and all sport. Ban all fictional TV and movies that depict, or "normalise" any kind of violence.

And this is where the slippery slope is. No one beats their wife after listening to Tom Jones but it doesn't surprise me at all that there's men who take a loss out on their spouse but then by that logic we should ban rugby and all sport. Ban all fictional TV and movies that depict, or "normalise" any kind of violence.
The anthem has nothing to do with it really (though obviously there is a subconscious nature to those words we sing becoming ingrained in our psyche at a very small level) but I would say there's far bigger issues. Statistics show a marked increase in domestic violence cases during big sporting occasions. The world cup was a nightmare, and it is an issue, and one to be aware of. Still think the song is being made out as more of an issue than it should be, and tbh I just like the tune, have no idea what the words are.
But should be aware of your friends and check in on them and their families if you've seen violent tendencies at a bar etc, making a sporting team your whole life is half the problem

Also alcohol is a major contributor. This was 2010, updated to 2013 but much changed since? Didn't they ban alcohol at the Principality?

Also alcohol is a major contributor. This was 2010, updated to 2013 but much changed since? Didn't they ban alcohol at the Principality?
I think they've banned it during games but you can buy a drink at HT. not 100% sure on that.

Alcohol is definitely a factor as well as mental health/anger issues, childhood, and probably a dozen other things but Delilah isn't one of them.

Sure, if in a few years after getting an external body in to change the culture and you've got more women represented at senior levels and there's been a real change to culture, best practices and what not then maybe the backlash to banning the song wouldn't be contested that much but the timing of it is poor optically which is ironic as all they're concerned about is how they're perceived and I don't think this has helped them.

"I come from a team that prides itself on physicality, and that is what I am trying to instil here.
"First and foremost, it is work-rate and effort, that has got to be a given.
"There are a couple of errors from the weekend where I think we could have had a bit more effort and I am looking forward to seeing that this weekend."

Monday morning fitness session will have been brutal - Diamond and Forshaw were notorious for their sessions when they perceived players not to be trying hard enough

Monday morning fitness session will have been brutal - Diamond and Forshaw were notorious for their sessions when they perceived players not to be trying hard enough
******* love this guy already.

I hope they do go on strike. It's a joke. And I say that as someone who's got tickets for my first wales/England game in 8 years.
Emotionally, yes. Although I'm not sure that losing millions of match day revenue will help their ultimate cause. Maybe an exodus is already assured.

The possible tie up between Ealing Trailfinders and a Welsh Region would definitely see an exodus.

Ramping up. Apparently the whole squad reluctantly turned up to a big sponsor / Principality box holder event and then walked out early, only staying for the starters.

There's a lot of bitterness around.

Sensible post. It's the uncertainty of not knowing whether you'll have a job in a few months.

The actual amounts players are going to be paid is largely secondary. That said, no-one wants their earnings to take a haircut, but at the end of the day there's only so much money to go around. If players turn their back on Wales for security or higher earnings elsewhere you couldn't blame them.

Sensible post. It's the uncertainty of not knowing whether you'll have a job in a few months.

The actual amounts players are going to be paid is largely secondary. That said, no-one wants their earnings to take a haircut, but at the end of the day there's only so much money to go around. If players turn their back on Wales for security or higher earnings elsewhere you couldn't blame them.
Yeah, if it was just over amount then while newsworthy it couldn't be as big an issue. Reality is players have been verbally agreeing contracts with clubs, but nothing formal can be signed until this deal is resolved. If the players had a deal they could sign it's not great but not awful. They can't even sign a bad deal if they wanted to at the moment.

Also as players have pointed out. If they get a career threatening injury now then they won't be offered a contract or get any support after their current runs out. They could potentially be left with a severe injury, no job and no medical support from their club.

Latest posts