• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Squad For AI

I agree but i cant see it happening if im honest! I hope so, i don't see why Sam cant play 6

Nothing about Ryan Jones or Froby for the past few days. Backrow is pretty much the major question mark. I'd like to think we know our outside half, and that it isn't the incumbent.

Nothing about Ryan Jones or Froby for the past few days. Backrow is pretty much the major question mark. I'd like to think we know our outside half, and that it isn't the incumbent.

If Ryan Jones is out then I would like to see:

6. Warburton, 7. Tipuric, 8 Faletau

England played Hill and Back in the same back row despite them both playing 7 at club level, I think Warburton and Tipuric in the back row could work quite well. I would much rather that to any of the Scarlets back row starting anyway.

Also don't put Ryan Jones to 8 ahead of Faletau, it's no coincidence that Ryan Jones' resurgence coincides with him moving to 6 with the Ospreys, that's his best position and he should remain there.

Good news regarding Ryan Jones is that he will only miss the first test. Should be fit for Samoa.

I was worried that he'd miss the entire series, so missing him for the first match isn't too bad. Warburton-Tipuric-Faletau must be the starting back-row against Argentina now, and I'm quite excited to see how that combination goes. All three are excellent over the ball, but Faletau needs to step back up to the plate in terms of ball carrying. Extremely mobile, so we've gotta look to move the big Argentina pack around.

Imo that also calls for a controlling influence at 10, someone to peg Argentina back in their own half, so I'd possibly go for Biggar over Hook.

No news on Jon Davies yet?

Edit. I think this should also guarantee Hibbard starting. His ball carrying will be needed, as will his physical defense in the absence of Ryan Jones. Unfortunately, I don't think Howley will have forgiven Hibbs for his cameo in the 2nd test against Aus, and fully expect Matthew Rees to start.

Last edited:
Could have been much worse. Hopfully he goes round wearing bubble wrap until the Samoa game.

Based on training pic, Froby was running around, and no noticeable strapping.
Howley has stated that Warburton-Tipuric split has been considered. I'd add Shingler to the bench, alongside Bradley Davies.

No news on Jonathan Davies. If it comes to a late medical, don't expect anything, he never passes.

Here is the Wales team

Wales
v Argentina: Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt).

Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Paul James (Bath), Robin McCusker (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Bayonne), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

I'm not too happy with this tbh.

Priestland has been playing poorly all season and also wasn't great in June against Australia. On form he shouldn't be in the 23 never mind starting.

Turnbull I'm not sure about, I think this is a missed opportunity to see Tipuric and Warburton play together, I also would have chosen Shingler ahead of Turnbull to play 6 as well. McCusker on the bench is also bad, he offers no impact and has been giving away silly penalties of late, he is seen as a very versatile back rower who can play all over the back row but imo he is a 6 and only a 6.

Big shame Ashley Beck doesn't make the 23. Hibbard also probably deserved to start on form, but I'm not too bothered as long as Matthew Rees throws in straightly.

Surprised Phillips is dropped, will be interesting to see how Knoyle goes.

Latest posts