Ben Carter (Dragons – 6 caps)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys – 150 caps)
Will Rowlands (Dragons – 18 caps)
Taine Basham (Dragons – 10 caps)
Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby – 89 caps)
Dan Lydiate (Ospreys – 65 caps)
Josh Navidi (Cardiff Rugby – 30 caps)
James Ratti (Cardiff Rugby – uncapped)
Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – uncapped)

Backs (14)
Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 67 caps)
Kieran Hardy (Scarlets – 11 caps)
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 33 caps)
Gareth Anscombe (Ospreys – 31 caps)
Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints – 100 caps) Captain
Rhys Patchell (Scarlets – 21 caps)
George North (Ospreys – 102 caps)
Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 20 caps)
Owen Watkin (Ospreys – 31 caps)
Johnny Williams (Scarlets – 5 caps
Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 39 caps)
Alex Cuthbert (Ospreys – 51 caps)
Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 16 caps)
Liam Williams (Scarlets – 78 caps)

Some serious mileage on some of those players (Lydiate, AWJ, North)

Great to see Reffell involved, though - really deserves it

Can't say I'm surprised he hasn't taken at least one of Jarrod Evans, Sam Costelow and Ioan Lloyd. Pleased for Reffell and will be interesting to have a look at him. I'm no expert on him but his main strength seems to be his abrasiveness so a good quality for a SA tour I guess but feel for Morgan. I'm a big fan of Lydiate but I don't really get that pick especially considering this is the last summer tour before the WC.

Everyone knows we're getting pumped but I didn't expect Pivac to actually say our target is to see if we can maybe win one game. Lol. Inspirational.

My main issue with this squad is the amount of currently injured or recently returned from injury players. I make out:

- Wyn Jones - currently out injured and his form has been iffy since the Lions tour anyway.
- Leon Brown - barely played this season.
- AWJ - only recently returned, and has looked like a passenger for the Ospreys.
- Will Rowlands - currently out injured.
- Dan Lydiate - only just back from injury and barely played - down the pecking order at the Ospreys behind Morgan/Morris.
- Tomos Williams - currently out injured.
- Rhys Patchell - not long back from another injury, had very little game time the last few years.
- George North - 2 games back from injury.
- Josh Adams - currently injured.
- Liam Williams - currently injured.

That's a crazy list!

Sounds like Pivac is desperate to win and is afraid to take a risk. Especially with that injury list. Definitely prioritising experience over form. When you're still picking players so many from Gatland's era you know you've got an issue.

Sounds like Pivac is desperate to win and is afraid to take a risk. Especially with that injury list. Definitely prioritising experience over form. When you're still picking players so many from Gatland's era you know you've got an issue.
Quite.

Looks to me like it's a trial run for the RWC: 33 man squad*, number of players with questionable form/fitness you're hoping come good under the bright lights

*38 man squad in the autumn, 36man in the Six Nations - it's not like 33 is his magic number, and he's leaving some promising players at home who, even if they didn't play, would benefit from the exposure

This is a very strong squad and as an SA supporter I am actually quite worried about this tour. Boks could see Wales as fluff and get casual.

SA rugby is full of complacency, and I think it could bite now.

I honestly think Wales might take the first test.

This is a very strong squad and as an SA supporter I am actually quite worried about this tour. Boks could see Wales as fluff and get casual.

SA rugby is full of complacency, and I think it could bite now.

I honestly think Wales might take the first test.
I think its an odd mix of complacency and paranoia. And this isn't based off of anything other than my trying to read between the lines with the selections and the few interviews Nienaber has done recently. Almost as if, yes there some complacency and now they are dead set upon not being complacent.

We are desperate to win 3-0 because that is the expectation and I'm scared that stubbornness will be exactly what hurts us most. My suggestion would be that the best antidote against complacency would be the enthusiasm a couple of rookies would bring. Maybe they surprise us- its not the longest wait.

There is hope but I think this is shaping up to be a huge opportunity missed by both squads. It seems they're set already for 2023 and will go into it with the 2019 squad and two or at most three new faces.

Agreed. France have a better approach. Bokke don't need to take it to the same extent of blooding so many players at one time, but it would be better for the longevity of a strong, conpetitive side. It doesn't automatically lead to a carousel like current England and ABs (although I'm sure the latter is influenced by the number of injuries sustained at the close of the SR season).

I just hope progress has been made on the attacking dimension of play. Quick ball being rendered slow, kicking in positions where retaining possession would be far more advantageous, lack of game management and difficulty getting the ball out wide quickly when necessary - it's the old story of recent games. To acknowledge and work on these things is not a detriment to the classic MO.

Too many chances are squandered. It might not matter quite so much against Wales, who are navigating a very difficult period and playing away from home. But in '23? On that side of tournament with that draw? We'll be ******. We have the strongest forward contingent of anyone and world class players in most other positions. I don't why we are not able to exploit the foundation they provide us nearly well enough.

What games have we seen recently where SA played with assuredness against top quality opposition? Not in the autumn that's for sure.

Hope we get absolutely spanked in all 3 games so the WRU will sack Pivac and bring in the breakdancer.

We'll probably lose the first 2 games by 50 and narrowly lose the third due to SA playing a second string and Pivac will Jedi mind trick the WRU into keeping him on.

I just hope progress has been made on the attacking dimension of play. Quick ball being rendered slow, kicking in positions where retaining possession would be far more advantageous, lack of game management and difficulty getting the ball out wide quickly when necessary - it's the old story of recent games. To acknowledge and work on these things is not a detriment to the classic MO.
Had do double check this wasn't the England thread when reading that

Why is everyone so negative. I think we will lose 2-1 with an aggregate of RSA 100 - 80 Wales

All the games has been close in the last two decades.

Fans must not get caught up in the hype. Lets not be Goldfish.

But its clear that Wales will be up against it. Boks will be on a high. Looking to build for the two All Blacks tests on home soil.

They chose to give Wales two Highveld venues...

Why is everyone so negative. I think we will lose 2-1 with an aggregate of RSA 100 - 80 Wales
That'd be history making.

Wales have lost all 10 matches played in SA by an aggregate of 415 v 156. Even stripping out the 96-13 humiliation it's still a pretty dismal record.

This isn't a vintage Wales team (antique in some positions maybe) while the Boks, on home turf, still have the majority of their RWC winners.

I struggle to see anything other than an utterly routine clean sweep for the Boks.

Latest posts