• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Squad For AI

Agree with that team Draggs. I will look forward to seeing Beck in a Welsh shirt again, very interested to see how he and Roberts go together (I'm sure that will be the starting combo). I'd certainly have Hook on the bench (you cannot overlook his versatility), which means there is no need for Scott Williams, instead have Liam Williams there to cover the back three.

Jarvis' rise shows what moving to a Welsh region can do for you. He would be nowhere near the Welsh team if he hadn't moved to the Ospreys, even if he was playing at the same standard in England.

One combo for the back row I would be tempted by would have to be 6 - Shingler, 7 - Tipuric, 8 - Warburton. I know Warburton hasnt had much play time at 8 since his u-20's days but he can still play there, plus having tips at 7 and warbs 8 means if one is at one ruck the other can hit the next and still have a dedicated blind side in shingler who has pace to burn. It could go well or it could backfire however could be worth the gamble.

Front 3 I have to agree with Draggs, likewise for second row's and half backs. Beck-Roberts can go both ways.

One combo for the back row I would be tempted by would have to be 6 - Shingler, 7 - Tipuric, 8 - Warburton. I know Warburton hasnt had much play time at 8 since his u-20's days but he can still play there, plus having tips at 7 and warbs 8 means if one is at one ruck the other can hit the next and still have a dedicated blind side in shingler who has pace to burn. It could go well or it could backfire however could be worth the gamble.

Front 3 I have to agree with Draggs, likewise for second row's and half backs. Beck-Roberts can go both ways.

Drop Ryan Jones? No chance. He is playing probably the best rugby of his life. Figure out how he and Faletau fit, then decide the extras. I would really like to see: Shingler (pace, ball carrying), Tipuric (fetcher, general pain in the arse) and Jones (tackle, tackle, tackle). Very specialized and defined. Add in James on the loosehad (decent in the rucks) as well as AWJ and Ian Evans (both hard workers) and we have a decently capable pack. Hibbard hasn't let his size cause issues yet, he is quite present around the field.

Personally I would go with a Jones (6) - Warburton (8) - Tipuric (7). Faletau is not in great form and personally that backrow would be quite tasty.

Personally I would go with a Jones (6) - Warburton (8) - Tipuric (7). Faletau is not in great form and personally that backrow would be quite tasty.

Yeah, that is another good option. Ultimately, the number is just that, it is how they play together. We really don't play with an 'eight' (Faletau pretty much played the role of a blindside with Lydiate) so Warburton there isn't really an issue. Tipuric is better on the deck as well, and easily the quickest, so we will just have to define their roles. I don't have enough confidence in Howley to give our backrow (or midfield; Beck/Roberts) enough direction to split roles.
Froby was getting back somewhat to form, but we will have to see about his injury. He looks a bit wider than last year, still a growing young lad!

Barely seen Faletau this year, so no idea if he's worthy of a start, would probably have him on the bench though as he could cover 6/7 probably. Really like the idea of 6 Jones 7 Tipuric and 8 Warburton, especially against the likes of Pocock and McCaw and Fernandez Lobbe.

That wouldn't be a back row trio I'd want to see. Too lightweight, and no real ball carrier, especially in the tight. Warburton is quite an explosive ball carrier when playing well, but it's not his strongest characteristic. The jury is still out on Shingler imo. He needs to show that there is more to his game than pace. He needs to take a leaf out of Lydiate's book and add a solid tackling game and workrate in the tight before he could ever be considered above both Lydiate and Ryan Jones. The Scarlets back row really isn't functioning with three similar types of players, and this is what you are suggesting here. The balance is all wrong, and teams with a powerful pack would take advantage of it.

Playing both Warburton and Tipuric alongside Ryan Jones could work. I don't mind which of Ryan and Warbs plays 6 and 8, not sure it makes too much difference. My incline would be to play Ryan Jones at 8, because he's got a vast amount of experience at international level of doing so. We know his control at the base of the scrum is up to scratch for example. A lack of control at the base of the scrum has proven costly for the O's when playing JT at 8.

I do think that Warburton should start against Argentina, unlike some. It's very difficult to judge exactly how he's playing, because he's simply part of a squad at the Blues that isn't performing. It can be very difficult for an openside to influence a game when the opposition team has so much dominance in terms of momentum. Warburton was simply getting blown out at the rucks because the Leinster forwards were on the front foot to such an extent that there was no time for Warbs to get over the ball before 2 or 3 guys were smashing him back off. It is why Warburton is so effective playing alongside Lydiate who chops the ball carrier down so early, behind the gainline, giving Warbs the extra split second he needs to get in position over the ball. Put McCaw or Pocock into that current Blues pack and they would also be anonymous. What Warburton did try to do was add some momentum carrying the ball, he was probably the most effective Blues ball carrier because he injected some pace. He's obviously not in top form, but I think he can step-up and the Argentina game is his opportunity to do so. If he doesn't perform in this first test, then Howley will have to seriously consider dropping him to the bench and having a back row of Ryan Jones - Tips - Faletau against Samoa.

As for the Argentina game I am undecided btween two back row choices:

Ryan Jones - Warburton - Faletau or
Sam Warburton - Tipuric - Ryan Jones

Last edited:
Ryan Jones is flying back to the UK for scans on a shoulder injury. Massive blow that.

Balls. Back row will likely be Warburton - Tipuric - Faletau for the opening game against Agrentina. We're gonna need the front five to do a lot of carrying in the tight, because all three are more comfortable carrying the ball one out from the ruck or in midfield. Ryan Jones has been good lately at spotting weaknesses around the fringes and driving straight through the center of the ruck, which is important to tie in the forwards.

It'll mean that it will be important to have a second row on the bench, because Alun-Wyn will likely burn himself out by 65min. Charteris is the only one I'd rely on because Bradley Davies is nowhere near the level required at the moment.

Possible call up for Andy Powell?
1. No.
2. Yes? :D
3. Not going to happen.

Balls. Back row will likely be Warburton - Tipuric - Faletau for the opening game against Agrentina. We're gonna need the front five to do a lot of carrying in the tight, because all three are more comfortable carrying the ball one out from the ruck or in midfield. Ryan Jones has been good lately at spotting weaknesses around the fringes and driving straight through the center of the ruck, which is important to tie in the forwards.

It'll mean that it will be important to have a second row on the bench, because Alun-Wyn will likely burn himself out by 65min. Charteris is the only one I'd rely on because Bradley Davies is nowhere near the level required at the moment.

Ian can go for a good 80 minutes, so we only need to worry about AWJ. Bradley has sprinted backwards since 2010.
If McCusker was in better form, he'd have a chance of starting. Turnbull, I've never rated, and Shingler might not fit in with our forwards.

Charteris has been decent based upon what I've seen/heard. Probably a good option off the bench.

Ian can go for a good 80 minutes, so we only need to worry about AWJ. Bradley has sprinted backwards since 2010.
If McCusker was in better form, he'd have a chance of starting. Turnbull, I've never rated, and Shingler might not fit in with our forwards.

Charteris has been decent based upon what I've seen/heard. Probably a good option off the bench.

Charteris won't play against Argentina, but inn return for missing that match is available to play Australia. So no choice other than Bradley Davies unfortunately for the bench spot, unless you want Shingler to play #19 and cover lock and back row from the bench.

I don't want McCusker anywhere near the Wales team, he's never looked international standard to me, he doesn't have any particularly special back row attributes and is really just ordinary at a few, he's also been conceding a few too many silly penalties of late as well.

Charteris won't play against Argentina, but inn return for missing that match is available to play Australia. So no choice other than Bradley Davies unfortunately for the bench spot, unless you want Shingler to play #19 and cover lock and back row from the bench.

I don't want McCusker anywhere near the Wales team, he's never looked international standard to me, he doesn't have any particularly special back row attributes and is really just ordinary at a few, he's also been conceding a few too many silly penalties of late as well.

Agree regarding McCusker to some degree. I thought he did look promising when he was first involved with Wales, but there's been quite a few injuries in the mean time. He's also NOT AN 8, and the Scarlets need to realize this.

Forgot about Charteris' availability. Bradley will have to do against Argentina then. He doesn't offer much anymore other than a front jumper in the lineout.

Agree regarding McCusker to some degree. I thought he did look promising when he was first involved with Wales, but there's been quite a few injuries in the mean time. He's also NOT AN 8, and the Scarlets need to realize this.

Forgot about Charteris' availability. Bradley will have to do against Argentina then. He doesn't offer much anymore other than a front jumper in the lineout.

Wales really ought to get Delve and Powell back to the country if they can. Aside from Faletau, there are no proper number 8's.

The Scarlets (McCusker), Ospreys (Jonathan Thomas), Cardiff Blues (Pretorius) all have blindsides playing 8.

The Scarlets also should swap Turnbull for Navidi so they can both play their natural positions week in week out.

By the way, Hugo Ellis has scored 9 tries in the first 8 games of the season in the English third division (National Division 1), perhaps the Dragons should have given him a few more chances.

Bradley Davies won't be a bad option, he has his moments of stupidity as do most of the Welsh players but he does give a lot of grunt and shunt in the engine room. If Powell is playing well (not seen Sale play at all this year) then he should be called up but I have a sneaky feeling that Sale and the WRU don't have that good of relationship.

Powell's been probably our best performer the last two seasons - has his moments of stupidity but has seriously cut down on how isolated he used to get himself and his workrate/effort is second to none.

Think that with the amount of injuries Wales have got in the front and backrow both him and Lewis-Roberts should get a look in, but as you said - them playing in England seriously hampers their chances of playing for Wales.
If they were at, e.g., the Blues then they'd be there, i've no doubt.

Wales really ought to get Delve and Powell back to the country if they can. Aside from Faletau, there are no proper number 8's.

The Scarlets (McCusker), Ospreys (Jonathan Thomas), Cardiff Blues (Pretorius) all have blindsides playing 8.

The Scarlets also should swap Turnbull for Navidi so they can both play their natural positions week in week out.

By the way, Hugo Ellis has scored 9 tries in the first 8 games of the season in the English third division (National Division 1), perhaps the Dragons should have given him a few more chances.

There we go then.

Davies is just a big lump with little purpose right now. He is very versatile though, he can give away a penalty anytime, anywhere on the field.
Eifion's issue was fitness, and it seems he is now playing loosehead, a position where we have slightly more depth.

Will Howley put Sam at 6 tho? I don't see i happening! I want it too but i cant see it, same with Preistland and Biggar

Latest posts